PDA

View Full Version : Marquetry around corners

John OBrien
03-26-2018, 5:08 PM
I have searched everywhere for information on how best to do this and have not found a source that can explain it to me.
I am talking about a marquetry image that starts, say on the front of a cabinet, and flows around to the other side or onto the top.
An alternative is the inside of a cabinet. Say the marquetry starts on the inside of the door and flows seamlessly to the cabinet side and then back.
I have toyed with this concept in my head and can maybe guess how I might execute this but I would be wasting a lot of time and precious
veneer if my concept is flawed. So if anybody is experienced at this technique or knows where I can find this solution, I would love to hear from you.

Jim Becker
03-26-2018, 6:45 PM
I would think that this is pretty much a process of careful material selection to make the transitions in direction look like they belong there because every piece isn't going to "naturally" end at the corner. Plan it out on the flat and be sure you've determined and prepared the corner joinery for the substrate before you start to actually build and inlay the image on the project.

Steve Hubbard
03-26-2018, 11:32 PM
We did some of this with parquetry in a class at Marc Adam's School of Woodworking. The class was taught by Marc. He has done a great deal of this (marquetry around corners) with scenes on the cabinets in his home. He has written articles for FWW, and has some DVDs that are available from the school's website.

Mike Henderson
03-26-2018, 11:41 PM
Look at Silas Kopf's web site (http://silaskopf.com/). He's done that on a number of his pieces. And if you like marquetry, you'll enjoy his site.

Mike

John OBrien
03-27-2018, 8:51 AM
We did some of this with parquetry in a class at Marc Adam's School of Woodworking. The class was taught by Marc. He has done a great deal of this (marquetry around corners) with scenes on the cabinets in his home. He has written articles for FWW, and has some DVDs that are available from the school's website.

I have taken several veneer classes from Marc Adams including his marquetry class a couple years ago. I saw that cabinet they did in his furniture veneering
workshop and this is what inspired me to learn how they did it. Like I said, I can probably attempt any number of ways to align the various panels but
guys like Marc and Silas have been doing this for years and know all the tricks. Hoping someone took these classes and could point me in the right direction.

Mike Henderson
03-27-2018, 2:13 PM
The way I'd do it is to make a full sized drawing first. Then figure out where the support elements will intersect with the panels, and how big they are. Remove the part that overlaps with your support elements. Then use the remaining drawings as cartoons for your marquetry. Piece things together and then glue up the panel, just as you would with a non-wraparound panel.

Mike

jerry cousins
03-27-2018, 5:15 PM
here's some pics of marquetry i did turning corners - on 90 degree corners it's a matter of leaving enough overage so when you cut the corner joint the image lines up - square table corner.
in other situations it's just a matter of careful inlay to wrap the image smoothly - round table top

Jim Becker
03-27-2018, 7:57 PM
That's stunning work, Jerry! Can I assume you mitered the corners of the design elements as they wrapped? The photos are somewhat small and while I believe that's the case, I cannot tell for sure.

jerry cousins
03-27-2018, 10:27 PM
thanks jim - when i laid out the design for the square corners i made each side pattern more than i needed about a 1/4" - so when i mitered the precise corners (45's) i could cut back to a matching line in the pattern.
sorry that the pics are so small - on my side when i click on them they enlarge - not for you?
jerry

Michelle Rich
03-28-2018, 7:31 AM
beyond glorious.. I'm drooling!

Jim Becker
03-28-2018, 9:55 AM
t
sorry that the pics are so small - on my side when i click on them they enlarge - not for you?

They can only enlarge to their actual pixel count and on a 27" monitor, they are only slightly larger than the thumbnails. Not a big deal. :) And again, your work is exquisite!