PDA

View Full Version : E-Bay Suspension

Carl Eyman
11-14-2005, 1:25 PM
I just got a notice from e-bay and asking me for a bunch of info. Does this sound legit?

Andy Henriksen
11-14-2005, 1:28 PM
No! I get those all the time from ebay and paypal, and they are scams.

Cecil Arnold
11-14-2005, 1:45 PM
I got something simuliar from Amazon and when I checked found it is something called pfishing (?sp) and is, like Andy said is a scam trying to get information.

Steve Clardy
11-14-2005, 1:48 PM
Its a scam. Just forward it to spoof@ebay.com

Jim Becker
11-14-2005, 2:01 PM
"Scam, scam, scam, scam..." (To the tune of a Monty Python classic... :D )

Vaughn McMillan
11-14-2005, 2:03 PM
To add to what others have said, NEVER click on a link in an e-mail that says it's taking you to whatever site they represent (eBay, PayPal, your bank, etc.) Even if the link looks legitimate, there's a good chance it's not...it might take you to a site that LOOKS like the target website, but it's not. I've seen recent phishing e-mails that would be hard for the uninitiated to recognize as spoofs. (Including quite a few lately the even have "Security Tips" in the e-mail telling you not to click on links within any e-mail message, then turn around and give you links to click on.) If your computer's not fully protected, simply clicking on one of these links can open up a whole world of hurt.

In general, none of the legitimate companies will contact you this way to upgrade your security information, so when you get such a request in e-mail, it's most surely a rip-off.

- Vaughn

Joe Pelonio
11-14-2005, 2:35 PM
You may also get these from your bank or a credit card company, none of them communicate by e-mail for actual account info updates.

Martin Shupe
11-14-2005, 4:58 PM
Carl,

It is my understanding that anything from Ebay or Paypal that is legit will address you by your name.

No name, it is spam.

Forward it to the spoof address already given, and paypal/ebay will send a reply verifying that it is a scam.

Ed Breen
11-14-2005, 6:01 PM
If it's really ebay they will also leave a message in your 'my ebay' section and duplicate it in your email.
Ed

Jerry Clark
11-14-2005, 7:06 PM
I just got one where I won the lottery, in England--238,000 Sterling-- how ever much that is-- WOW just think what I could do with that.:rolleyes: I spammed it to AOL.

John Bailey
11-14-2005, 7:54 PM
I'll add to the voices here. I've gotten many of these type e-mails. I alway delete them and send a notice to e-bay, PayPal etc. I never open anything that I'm not aware of as legit. If I'm not sure, I delete. Twice, in the past, I did not. Thank God for virus protection, all kinds of bells and whistles went off, but I was protected.

John

Rob Littleton
11-14-2005, 8:21 PM
I just got one where I won the lottery, in England--238,000 Sterling-- how ever much that is-- WOW just think what I could do with that.:rolleyes: I spammed it to AOL.

That's REAL money.......you don't want that......:-):cool: