PDA

View Full Version : Soss barrel hinge for box lid hinge?

Bruce Page
03-25-2018, 1:14 AM
I'm making a small 16x6 cherry box. Would the 10mm Soss hinge be a good choice? I have never used them and wonder if they can handle the weight of the open lid.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks

Prashun Patel
03-25-2018, 7:29 AM
Is the lid depth 6”? If yes, then the hinges are fine. Just use more of them. You might want to use a chain to prevent opening too far.

John M. Smith
03-25-2018, 7:51 AM
Tried using them once. Not very strong at all. Everytime I opened and closed the lid, it closed in a little different position. Would up going with a smaller normal soss hinge. They make one for a 3/8" route.

Lee Schierer
03-25-2018, 8:38 AM
I've used the solid brass small-box cylinder hinges (http://www.rockler.com/solid-brass-small-box-cylinder-hinges) from Rockler on a number of boxes about the size you are making.
The hinges are press in, but I always coat the inside of the hole with super glue just before I insert the hinge, being careful to get the pivot point in the right position.

Brian Holcombe
03-25-2018, 8:45 AM
I believe ‘smart’ hinges are back in production. They’re quite nice.

Bruce Page
03-25-2018, 12:12 PM
Is the lid depth 6”? If yes, then the hinges are fine. Just use more of them. You might want to use a chain to prevent opening too far.
I have to make a few more of these, I'm looking for a quick & easy hinge. I already bought the Soss hinges & 10mm bit but I'm having second thoughts about them.

Mike Henderson
03-25-2018, 12:45 PM
Brusso makes some nice hinges, including some stop hinges. Look at the JB-103 which may be a good size for you.

Mike

Bruce Page
03-25-2018, 1:52 PM
I guess what I'm asking, is it a mistake to use the Soss hinge in this application?

Ted Phillips
03-25-2018, 1:53 PM
Brusso makes some nice hinges, including some stop hinges. Look at the JB-103 which may be a good size for you.

Mike

I'll second Mike's recommendation of Brusso hinges. They are very high quality solid brass and manufactured here in the USA. The folks there are a pleasure to deal with. I use their products on all my jewelry boxes and small projects.

Bruce Page
03-25-2018, 2:55 PM
I believe ‘smart’ hinges are back in production. They’re quite nice.

Those are beautiful hinges alright but these are commissioned pieces. $35-40 per pair would kill my profit margin. I winced paying $9 for the Soss barrel hinges.:o