PDA

View Full Version : Starter telescope

David Hayes
11-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Any hobbyist heavenly observers here? My 11 year-old is getting a telescope for Christmas according to SWMBO. This sent ol' Dad on a fact finding mission to determine what to buy. So far, I think a 4.5 to 6" reflector is the way to go.

I'd appreciate any help/advise you care to provide.

Dave

Jerry Clark
11-14-2005, 12:14 PM
David-- get a good quality scope-- if you consider the $99 model with the 39 cent tripod he will never use it-:mad: - Meade has nice scopes, but kinda pricey. A good scope will always hold some value like a good tool.:)

Frank Hagan
11-14-2005, 12:14 PM
I bought a Celestron 114mm (4.5") "First Scope" reflector and I'm very happy with it. You can see the planets with this size scope; Jupiter is very interesting, you can make out the Cassini Division in the rings of Saturn if conditions are right (and Saturn is a bright jewel in the sky when you find it ... very pretty). I don't know anything about this vendor, but the scope I have is pictured here:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-firstscope-114-eq-first-telescope.html

The main thing to remember is that the mount is very important. It needs to be strudy enough so that you don't get the slightest breezes creating vibration, and ruining your viewing. Some of the lower end scopes have very light weight tripods, and they are miserable to use.

There are three basic types to decide between. The one I have is a reflector, and I'm partial to them because they are inexpensive and pretty easy to use. The "spyglass style" where you look through the end are called "refractors", and I don't like the lower cost ones ... I always find the viewing through an inexpensive reflector, like mine, to be better than through an inexpensive refractor. I think its the quality of the optics on a refractor, with the additional lenses, etc. that drive the quality of the image.

The third type is a Dobsonian, or a Dobsonian Mount, actually a type of reflector ... these are very cool, and easier to use for most people who want to "point and view" rather than track an object. The major manufacturers all make one, Meade, Celestron and also Orion ... you can see some of this type at Orion (who keeps winning the magazine comparison tests in this category) at http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?itemID=186&itemType=CATEGORY

Ed Lang
11-14-2005, 12:33 PM
When my son and I got interested in looking up, we talked to everyone we could find. The majority told us to get a good pair of binoculars! The reason is, field of view. With a telescope your field of view is small but the mag is greater. If your son does not know exactly where everything is in the sky he will not find what he is looking for. With binoculars, you have a larger field of view and you can reference things you know and see objects in relation to others. Cost is less. If star gazing is not his thing, binoculars can be used for other things too. The Dobsonian scopes were highly recommended. Larger diameters for more light gathering. Larger diameters on the binoculars as well. More inportant than mag power. Not what I thought when I first got started..... I thought more power! No so... more light gathering!

Check with the local University and talk to folks there. They may have an open night where you all could go and look at and into their telescope and let your son do the talking to them.... you listen and see where his interest goes.

Of course there is a lot of star charts and software available to help locate objects at night!

Most of all have fun.

BTW, a Dob is a great woodworking project if you later want to make one yourself!!

David Hayes
11-14-2005, 3:14 PM
Thanks for the input! We have used binoculars every now and then. Looks like a reflector will be in the sleigh. Now to decide on the mount!

Dave

Lloyd Frisbee
11-14-2005, 3:16 PM
Definately go with a Dobsonian reflector. www.telescope.com has some very good inexpensive models. Look for the SkyQuest models. You don't need to buy a bunch of eyepieces either. I have several but generally only use the same one most of the time. The most important thing you must do is learn the sky. You have to know where to point it to see the exciting things out there. Look for astronomy clubs in your area for help. Size does matter in telescopes.

Michael Perata
11-14-2005, 9:58 PM
The Meade ETX series is somewhat budget priced but has a lot of bells and whistles for the price. It is easy to set up and has a GOTO capability.

David Hayes
11-16-2005, 4:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I ordered the SkyQuest XT4.5 inch Dobsonian mount telescope from Orion.
Dave

Frank Hagan
11-16-2005, 6:08 PM
Good choice, it should be a good Christmas.

I have one other recommendation, the book:

"Turn Left at Orion: A Hundred Night Sky Objects to See in a Small Telescope--and How to Find Them (Hardcover)" by Guy Consolmagno et. al. This book takes a non-technical approach to telling you how to find things in the sky that the 4.5" scope will pick up. Highly recommended, as your kid will be able to find something every single night he goes out.