PDA

View Full Version : Matchfit Dado Stop by Microjig

James Spillman
03-24-2018, 2:08 PM
I'm wondering what people think about Microjig's dado stop. I know some people regret that you have to purchase their dovetail clamp in order to use the dado stop. I am interested in finding out how it works when making long dados like for bookshelves. If you are familiar with this jig I'd like to know what your experiences have been.

Johnny Barr
03-24-2018, 4:01 PM
I have tried it and it's a waste of money when you consider how easy it is to make your own. I made mine based on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL5lrmrbgKc&t=227s and it works perfectly. Google kerf maker and you'll find a few other videos.

Two pieces of 200mm (8") by 50mm (2") by 16mm MDF. One of them has the top 1" cut off and screwed to the other piece. The difference between the the two is exactly the kerf width. I loosen and slide the the knob, place the required stock in the gap and I now have my two shoulders for making my dado. When the two pieces are closed you'll see the kerf width on the right side. This cost me basically nothing. The cost of the matchfit dado stop including the set up guide to get your kerf width is over $70 USD. If you don't have the time or energy to make it then by all means buy the dado stop. It does work well. Bridge city have a commercially made one one as well which I have tried but I don't like it because it assumes the kerf is exactly the same as the blade width and due to vibration etc it is always a bit out which would affect the dado width. The best way to measure your kerf is by making an actual cut. I hope this helps.

richard poitras
03-24-2018, 5:53 PM
In review of several videos it looks like it would work pretty good, but they are a kind of pricy but most store bought kerf makers are, so without any experience in using the Matchfit I guess you have to decide if you want use your time on making or buying. I do have one of the Bridge City KM-1’s and they work good. But just as pricy. Let’s see if anyone that has one chime in with their experience.