PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Questions

Steve Middleton
03-24-2018, 10:50 AM
I'll be putting up a new building in the next few months. I moved from a 30x50 building last fall and have things jammed in a 24x24 and there's no point in trying to make that space workable:) The additional building will be 24x41(odd size I know) metal building with spray foam insulation, 9 ft walls, and, most likely, a mini split system for climate control. I have a quote from Ray at Rabbit Laser for a 24x36-60 watt machine with upgraded chiller and both rotary tables. So now I'm thinking about layout? So far I have a 9x12 office/showroom with 4 foot walls, a computer desk in the workspace proper and next to the laser, a 4x8 work table on casters, a 6x8 paint/sand space with curtains and dust/vapor collection system, one corner in the rear will house my vertical mill and metal lathe, and there's easily room for 25' of 3' deep shelves 6 feet tall on one wall. I plan on outlets ever 4 feet on outside walls, 7 air drops(clean and dry), and there's a 10' wide/8' tall insulated roll up door as well as a man door. So what have I forgotten? Any input will be appreciated.
P.S. The existing building will then be garage and woodworking tools...table saw, router, etc,etc and I'll pipe air in the new building so I don't have to listen to the compressor:)

Mike Null
03-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Where are you located?

Steve Middleton
03-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Central PA. Moved from OK to be closer to family. Just updated my profile:) Will that show up or is there something else I need to do?

Mike Null
03-24-2018, 3:12 PM
Steve

I was curious because of the heating/cooling design. If you can partition the receiving/storage area you may not have to heat or cool it.

Unless your business requires it I found a 4x8 table cumbersome and I prefer 2 foot deep shelves or even 18" to 3 foot. I have found that rolling shelves make a lot of sense.

I am using LED workshop lights and get much better lighting than with the old fluorescents.

Jim Coffee
03-25-2018, 9:47 AM
Don't forget Ethernet connectivity. I suspect Ethernet will remain reliable and essential for decades to come.

Steve Middleton
03-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Don't forget Ethernet connectivity. I suspect Ethernet will remain reliable and essential for decades to come.\
Got it covered Jim!

John Lifer
03-25-2018, 10:34 AM
I had built a 4x8ft table to work on a project in my last 30x30 shop. It was way oversized and an extreme impediment. I would definitely eliminate it unless you absolutely have to have that size. Make it 4x4 and two wings or 2x4 and wings. I have a roughly 2x2 as outfeed for my tablesaw that doubles as worktable and it is great. Add as many outlets as you can and a few downdrops along center. And led lights for sure.

Tim Bateson
04-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Can't have too much counter space!!!! I bought a bunch of new cabinets off of Craig's List (mfr went out of business) with no faces. Built a custom top for them & they work perfect as is for Row-Mark, Metals and other odd items. I second Mike's comment about LED lights. They cost a few $ more, but boy has it been worth it. The pure white light makes seeing details soooo much easier.

Steve Middleton
04-03-2018, 12:59 PM
I had a 3x8 table in my last shop so 4' may be overkill? Room was 28x30 and I had 6-6 bulb T5 fixtures with 5k bulbs which was great but I LED's have come enough I'll give them a hard look. Thanks for the input! Have building permit, etc so whenever it dries out in central PA we'll get started:)