PDA

View Full Version : Flattening with drywall screens

Michael Gabbay
11-14-2005, 10:45 AM
I followed Derek's tip on on using drywall screens to flaten my Norton stones. Overall it works nicely but they seem to dull after one or two flattenings. The good thing is you can turn the screen over and use both sides. Anyone else notice this?

I've been thinking that long term the Norton flattening stone might be the way to go. http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=NO-FLAT&Category_Code=CNO

Mike

Alan Turner
11-14-2005, 2:03 PM
I use granite, with SC grit, about 90 grit I think. The granite is free - fall off from a granite shop. The grit is cheap if bought from a lapidary supply house.

That siad, I do use these screens for lapping plane soles, as an initial matter. Very effective.

Dan Forman
11-14-2005, 3:53 PM
I followed Derek's tip on on using drywall screens to flaten my Norton stones. Overall it works nicely but they seem to dull after one or two flattenings. The good thing is you can turn the screen over and use both sides. Anyone else notice this?

Mike

Yup

Dan

Howie French
11-14-2005, 9:01 PM

I've been thinking that long term the Norton flattening stone might be the way to go. http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=NO-FLAT&Category_Code=CNO

Mike

I just started using drywall screens (220 grit ?) as well, and have noticed the same thing.
Overall I was pleased with how effective they worked, I also noticed they would clog up so I would rinse them periodically.

Howie

Mike Wenzloff
11-15-2005, 2:39 AM
Michael,

Go for the flattening plate. It saves a bunch of dinking around and replacing consumables--albeit cheap consumables.

I haven't used the Norton cermaic flattening plate, but have the King. I assume the Norton will last as long--which means it'll probably outlast the stones.

I gave mine away when I got the Shaptons and their cast iron flattening plate and use it on my remaining King waterstone as well as the Shaptons.

Either way, flattening plates work well and last [nearly] forever.

Mike