PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany gloat

Michael Todrin
03-23-2018, 2:04 PM
A giant pile of mahogany just fell into my truck and I am struggling to unload all of it...

Mostly 6 foot long boards from 6-16/4! Guy needed to unload some of his stash of exotics. I volunteered to help.:D

Will Boulware
03-23-2018, 2:16 PM
Wow! If he needs any more help unloading things, tell him I have a truck too! We'll take more pictures when you get it unloaded too, please! :D

kevin nee
03-23-2018, 2:49 PM
I got a batch of African Mahogany, it was a little tough to work but very rewarding.
Congradulations on your find.

382197 382198 382199

Robert LaPlaca
03-23-2018, 2:53 PM
Ooh, I love Mahogany.. Quality Mahogany is ridiculously expensive and getting harder to find, so much so, that stash should have been brought home in an armored truck :)

Steven Mikes
03-23-2018, 3:49 PM
Michael,
I'm curious how you found this one; was it scouring Craigslist? I live very close to you (Apex) and would be glad to find sources of nice wood other than lumber stores.

Michael Todrin
03-23-2018, 4:18 PM
Will, thanks for the offer to help. If there was any more I would have had to take you up on it.

Kevin, that is either an enormous bowl or a tiny baby. Either way really nice work. Also answers the question "what looks good with mahogany" "Birdseye maple sure does." This cache was half African and half genuine mahogany.

Robert, the prices are pretty high and I don't want to over-gloat about the deal I got :) (is that a thing or is gloating sufficiently obnoxious?)

Steven, I was just craigslisting, and there were a fair number of non-lumber store wood options. If you PM me I can share them with you.

Robert LaPlaca
03-23-2018, 4:35 PM
Michael just as a point of reference for South American Mahogany, figure on $12 - $15 bd/ft, more for wider, longer or more figured stock.

John C Cox
03-23-2018, 6:42 PM
That's a big 'ole pile of Hog you got there... Mmmmmm mmmm mmmm

John K Jordan
03-23-2018, 8:47 PM
A giant pile of mahogany just fell into my truck and I am struggling to unload all of it...

Oh my, what a pain in the neck.

You're not all that far from Knoxville. I'd make the sacrifice to help you get rid of the 16/4. I'll be there May 5th when I visit Frank Penta - watch for my Jeep Trailhawk with a rack on top. :) Shoot, I'd even come after your scraps. Good mahogany is woodturning nirvana.

Very nice haul.

JKJ

Matthew Hutchinson477
03-23-2018, 9:27 PM
Beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen 10/4 or 12/4 mahogany, much less 16/4.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-24-2018, 1:18 AM
Michael just as a point of reference for South American Mahogany, figure on $12 - $15 bd/ft, more for wider, longer or more figured stock.

Wow. I pay $8 for 8/4 stock in widths up to 24" and lengths to 16'. Location, location, location! (Thinly-veiled gloat)

That was a good find. I don't know how much experience you have with it, but make sure you rough dimension it and let it sit, and then final dimension. It carries a lot of "pent-up anger" as I call it- especially the African stuff.

Aaron Rosenthal
03-26-2018, 12:07 AM
When we finally returned for good from South Africa (my wife was born there and we stayed 9 years) I brought 4 pieces of 6' long x about 5/8" x 41/2" pieces of Miranti. They are rough dressed, and were sitting quietly in my basement since 1986!
I have a few projects in mind, and I'm just getting my skill level up to the point where it's not reduced to a pile of firewood.