PDA

View Full Version : double sided tape for templates

andrew whicker
03-23-2018, 1:07 PM
Hola,

What type of double sided tape do you use for sticking a router template onto the bottom of your piece? Any brand in particular? Are they all sufficient?

cheers,

Grant Wilkinson
03-23-2018, 1:25 PM
I just use the heavy duty carpet tape. The key is to press on it firmly for 30 seconds. All of the double sided tapes are pressure sensitive, so the pressure really makes a difference on their holding power.

andrew whicker
03-23-2018, 3:23 PM
you da man, thanks.

Edwin Santos
03-23-2018, 3:56 PM
Hi,
I used double sided carpet tape for years and then got a roll of Intertape 591. It was at that point that I tasted my first Ritz cracker and realized I had been eating Saltines. I typically use the 3/4" width.
It holds very firmly and will not leave behind any residue like carpet tape will. Keep a utility knife handy for grabbing and peeling back the crepe backing. This product and hot melt glue became game changers for me in the shop for jigs, templates, temporary fences, dozens of uses.

https://www.amazon.com/Intertape-Double-Sided-Flatback-Paper/dp/B0178G341A?th=1

Edwin

Ralph Okonieski
03-23-2018, 6:00 PM
I use the kind that Hartville Hardware store sells. I buy from the store itself because I am close enough to drive there. I am not sure if the internet sales from HH provides the same brand. The tape does stick very well.

John C Cox
03-23-2018, 6:37 PM
I use both carpet tape and the miscellaneous 3m double sided foam tape sold at BORG...

For best results - don't be greedy with the tape... A bit more with no movement is better than a bit less and it shifts in the middle of the job...

One trick if you are worried about getting the double sided tape back off... Especially with carpet tape...

Apply a layer of 2" wide painter's tape to your template and to your work.
Stick the double sided tape to that stuff... Apply firm pressure and stick it together... It will hold well... Do not skimp on the tape.. When you are ready to detach - it will come apart without damaging your work or template....

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2018, 6:40 PM
I have successfully used carpet tape in the past. Just last week while in Spokane, I bought a roll of "turner's tape". Expensive stuff! I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Jim Becker
03-23-2018, 7:01 PM
One trick if you are worried about getting the double sided tape back off... Especially with carpet tape...

Apply a layer of 2" wide painter's tape to your template and to your work.
Stick the double sided tape to that stuff... Apply firm pressure and stick it together... It will hold well... Do not skimp on the tape.. When you are ready to detach - it will come apart without damaging your work or template....

An alternative method that's become popular with CNC operators for small work holding is using painter's tape and CA glue. Apply the tape to both the object to be held and the surface it's to be stuck to. Spread a little CA on the tape on once side and spritz the other with accelerator. Press together immediately and hold for a few moments. It works well and the painters tape releases easily. The one downside is this method is "thicker"...

Matt Day
03-23-2018, 7:34 PM
This stuff works great for me. Note the 1 star reviews seem silly - like there’s residue left behind after a couple years (Clean it up with goo gone dummy!) or its hard to get the backing off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BO4QZ0/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521847880&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=carpet+tape&dpPl=1&dpID=51CMUpLxR0L&ref=plSrch

John K Jordan
03-23-2018, 7:58 PM
I have successfully used carpet tape in the past. Just last week while in Spokane, I bought a roll of "turner's tape". Expensive stuff! I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

The turner's tape might stick too well for templates. It can easily hold a 15" bowl blank on a faceplate for turning.

Lee Schierer
03-23-2018, 9:27 PM
I used to use a 3M double sided tape with an acrylic adhesive and a transparent liner. The tape had a white peel off backing. It was super sticky so you only needed a small amount,but it would peel off using the liner without leaving any residue. I ran out last year and have not been able to locate the same type of tape. The stuff I have now is like double sided masking tape and it doesn't stick that well.

I don't like carpet tapes because they don't peel off well I would love to find the 3M tape again.

Robert Cherry
03-23-2018, 9:57 PM
I’ve been using the double face tape available at MLCS. I like it better than carpet tape, which I find hard to remove and not as firm as I would like. The MLCS tape has just the right amount of stick to firmly hold the template without leaving residue behind and a paper core that seems to prevent template movement.

John Terefenko
03-23-2018, 10:28 PM
Been using turners tape and get it at Woodcraft or Peachtree. It works very well and easier to come off than carpet tape. I use the outdoor carpet tape when I positively want no peeling or movement. Deal with the peel off later. better more than not enough holding power.

Jim Morgan
03-23-2018, 10:54 PM
This stuff works great for me. Note the 1 star reviews seem silly - like there’s residue left behind after a couple years (Clean it up with goo gone dummy!) or its hard to get the backing off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BO4QZ0/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521847880&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=carpet+tape&dpPl=1&dpID=51CMUpLxR0L&ref=plSrch

Yeah, the Duck brand tape generally sticks pretty tenaciously. Don't use Goo Gone to clean up afterwards, however - it leaves an oily residue. VM&P Naptha does the job and evaprates cleanly.

John K Jordan
03-24-2018, 4:52 AM
I used to use a 3M double sided tape with an acrylic adhesive and a transparent liner. The tape had a white peel off backing. ... I would love to find the 3M tape again.

Lee, is the 3M tape very thin?

I've been using this clear, thin Fastcap tape with acrylic adhesive.
https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-T20034-5039-Speed-Tape/dp/B006SJIA0Y

It sticks well and I can get things apart and remove the tape. They claim the bond gets stronger with time so it might be harder to remove if left together for a long time but I haven't tried that. I use it for things like sticking things to the bandsaw table.

JKJ

Clint Baxter
03-24-2018, 5:44 AM

This is what I use as well. I got mine at the local green BORG. It works so well I usually cut it into small squares to dot the pieces together. The fiberglass reinforcing makes it a little thicker but that thickness then wors better if you have any tiny gaps between template and workpiece.

Clint

Rich Engelhardt
03-24-2018, 6:21 AM
Since I end up tossing more due to it losing it's stick from being opened too long, I just stick with (groan..ok,,terrible pun) Borg carpet tape.

Actually - I should mention also that for a lot of wood stuff, I use Elmer's School glue and paper. (copy paper or newspaper)
Glue a piece of paper between two pieces of wood with School Glue & when you're done, separate them with a single edge razor blade or utility knife & wash the paper/glue off with water.

It's extremely strong and the paper is thin enough to not matter.

Sam Puhalovich
03-24-2018, 6:39 AM
I came across Scotch double-sided tape about a ear-ago ... handier then any peel-back that I had used in the past.
https://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0600431_sc7?$std$

Bruce Wrenn
03-24-2018, 9:46 AM
I came across Scotch double-sided tape about a ear-ago ... handier then any peel-back that I had used in the past.
https://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0600431_sc7?$std$Most office supply places, and some Walmarts stock this.

Robert Engel
03-24-2018, 9:48 AM
I use carpet tape for routing patters, but make sure you release it as soon as you're done ;)

The ds Scotch tape is not strong enough for pattern routing.

The Fast Cap tape is also excellent and releases a bit easier than the carpet tape.

Lee Schierer
03-24-2018, 8:18 PM
Lee, is the 3M tape very thin?

I've been using this clear, thin Fastcap tape with acrylic adhesive.
https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-T20034-5039-Speed-Tape/dp/B006SJIA0Y

It sticks well and I can get things apart and remove the tape. They claim the bond gets stronger with time so it might be harder to remove if left together for a long time but I haven't tried that. I use it for things like sticking things to the bandsaw table.

JKJ

Thanks, I book marked that link. YES, the bond does get stronger with extended time. DAMHIKT.

Matt Day
03-24-2018, 10:05 PM
Yeah, the Duck brand tape generally sticks pretty tenaciously. Don't use Goo Gone to clean up afterwards, however - it leaves an oily residue. VM&P Naptha does the job and evaprates cleanly.

Good point! I was referencing that for the people who actually use the tape as carpet tape. So goo gone on hardwood or tile floors. It does have a residue but is easily cleaned up off a floor.

John Thurston
09-09-2021, 10:07 AM
I have had only middling luck with carpet tape. Workpieces tend to slip sidewise for me - shear strength is not great. Most recently using blue tape/superglue with better results.

Mick Simon
09-10-2021, 9:45 AM
For smaller projects I've been using Rockler Double Sided Dots. Easy to apply and remove and hold well.
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-2-sided-stick-it-dots