PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
11-14-2005, 9:14 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. Pretty decent weekend overall. Had to do some stuff for "work" but, I was not oncall...so I only worked 8 hours this weekend.:D

Tinkered in the shop some on Saturday as the LOML has me making what seems like a Buhzillion Christmas presents because money has gotten so tight. Oh well, at least I've for the tools to make them. :rolleyes: :cool:

Church Sunday was another one of the days where I played bass guitar for both services. I really enjoy playing music, as if you couldn't tell.

Back to work today....so.......

What did YOU do this weekend.?

Best of weeks to you all.

Frank Pellow
11-14-2005, 9:21 AM
We had a nice day yesterday (16 degrees Celcius and no rain) and that allowed me to (finally) finish painting the trim on my house.

Talking about "finally finishing", last night, I finally finished building the vented insulated closet around my dust control unit. It really cuts down on the noise. I will post pictures later in my old Dust Control Advice thread.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-14-2005, 9:26 AM
Saturday.....worked on finishing the ceiling in my new shop.....Yes Frank...I should have listened and I hate drywall compound even more today than in the past!

Sunday made a run to Borg, bought some more drywall compound, watched a little football, had supper with neighbors who've been RV the east coast since early September and just returned home.

Brian Austin
11-14-2005, 9:49 AM
Saturday was The Woodworking Show, making its "new" visit to the Phoenix area (thanks in no small part to David F of Cave Creek, AZ!!). Wow! Great upgrades, lots of great vendors and good demos. I stayed for a few hours on Saturday and revisited on Sunday. I picked up the new Forrest WWII (with the flat grind on every 5th tooth) for my new Unisaw as well as some odds and ends here and there. On the Sunday visit, I picked up the Incra/Jess'em router lift for the extension table on the Unisaw. All told, about $470 worth of 'stuff' in that show.

Sunday was the Fountain Hills Festival of Arts & Crafts, a juried show with hundreds of vendors. It took us about three hours to walk through it all. Saw lots of nice woodworking (along with a few overpriced, not nearly the quality I would have hoped for wood pieces). We picked up a big photograph, framed in copper, for the living room. Not saying how much but it's easily the most I've ever spent for hanging something on the wall!!! :D

Spent some more time in the shop both days. Built a shelf for the TV/VCR unit I have, with a little cubby underneath for a future DVD player. I also built a rack for my turning tools, shuffled some things around and am starting to get to the point where the shop is approaching "finished". Now I actually have to MAKE something??? ;)

Tyler Howell
11-14-2005, 9:52 AM
Good weekend.;)
Cut some interesting details in the molding around heat ducts in the kitchen. A lot of hand work. and the Festool scroll saw worked like a champ
Did some fine tuning on the DJ20 and went shopping for some more toyls:D http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26276.
Got the last of the new storm windows up before the snow flies and took care of a lot of busy work.
Spent time with the family on Sunday which is always nice.
Have a safe week.

Jim Becker
11-14-2005, 9:58 AM
I did get shop time working on finishing up (literally) a turning project for a friend...which I'll post about next month after that gift is received by the, um...recipient. Otherwise, it was working down my lists of things to do...including making more lists...before our impending trip to sunny Siberia. (Looks like a cold snap will be hitting about the time we arrive...burrrrrrr!)

Dr. SWMBO and I also had a lovely dinner on Saturday night with Alan Turner and his lovely bride. The best part was when we walked in the door and Alison recognized the fabulous Newport-style Desk..."I remember that from the magazine!"... :)

Scott Coffelt
11-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Watched two movies: Carlito's Way Rise to Power and Kingdom of Heaven. Both good flicks.

Pick up our new family members (see pic below). Pretty much spent the rest of Saturday playing.

Installed F/E drawer slides and built drawers and attached back on a vanity cabinet for our master bath.

Watched some horrid football and the Phoenix race, looks like Jimmy Johnson is gonna come up short again this year. Always the brides maid and never the bride.

Kurt Aebi
11-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Friday, me and LOML traveled to the Bayside Expo Center in Boston for the New England Auto Show. We had a good time looking at the new models and some of the concept cars. We really enjoyed Jeep's "Camp Jeep" demonstration where they had all teh Jeep models running around on a sort-of obstacle course designed to show off their "Trail Rated" capabilities. The Wrangler Rubicon & the Grand Cherokee were really the only 2 that performed to what I'd call "Trail Rating" - The Liberty and Commander did okay, but not in the same class as the other 2 IMHO. They are coming out with a new pickup - Gladiator - that looks a lot like the old Jeep Pickups - I thought it looked pretty good.

Saturday was opening day of Vermont's Rifle Buck season - all I saw was 1 doe with a fawn. I got bored with that, so I helped my FIL and his neighbor cut up an apple tree that had fallen over. I got to keep the wood - we'll soon see how well apple turns! (Pens, confetti lamps, bottle stoppers - maybe I'll even try a boel, but it wasn't that large an apple tree - the trunk was a little over 8" - so a little small)

Sunday after church, I turned a confetti lamp from some of the walnut I got from my father's place. I don't think it came out too bad.

Keith Foster
11-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Drove out to the farm in Yoakum on Saturday to finish the steps up to the House for my dad. He just had back surgery and is recovering at home. At 71 years of age he doesn't spring back quite like he use to (me either for that matter - kinda sore this morning). Did discover that it takes 20 feet of presure treated 2x4 lumber to build two 2 foot connections to the house for support purposes. Well, I did have a five foot section left over. Made more mistakes building the supports than I did the steps! :cool:

Also got some seat time on the tractor and shreaded about an acre and a half around the house. After that it was back to Katy to spend the evening with the new grand-daughter. Round trip to the farm and back is just under 200 miles.

Spent Sunday looking for new clothes. Lost a good deal of weight over the last three months and the ole clothes are looking rather baggy now. I suppose that's a good thing - but shopping for clothes is not one of my favorite things to do.

John Miliunas
11-14-2005, 10:26 AM
For starters, the weekend was way too short!:( Got some work done on a few Christmas presents, by way of the lathe (Definitely know what you're talking about, Dennis!). Fixed a jewelry box my daughter found at a garage sale. Made plans to do some electrical runs LOML wants for wall sconces in the LR. Watched a little football, spent a "little" time at the Creek.:rolleyes: Hope everyone has a great week! :) :cool:

Mark Cothren
11-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Finally got around to buildin' me a bowl-dryin' rack. Now I can dry about 50 bowls at a time (a little overkill maybe ;) ).

I also got some pegboard up over my bench and got some things up out of the way - a little more organized - I love it.

Also moved a small wall cabinet over that's close to my lathe and built/hung a rack for my turning tools. More organization...

I finish turned another Hackberry bowl and also completed diggin' out the worm dust from a chunk of Persimmon. I soaked it up good in BLO since the wood was starting to dry/crack some. It's curing now and will get a finish of some sort before long. A pretty cool looking piece of wood. Pics later.

Got in some deer huntin' on Saturday w/ my son. Watched ducks fly all day, so I'm geared up for our duck opener this coming weekend. Temps are supposed to drop some mid-week, so that'll make it nicer. Looks like we will have plenty of ducks for the opener.

Full day at church yesterday with some good couch time in between...:D

JayStPeter
11-14-2005, 10:30 AM
I love it when a plan comes together.

On Friday evening and Saturday, my wife and kids were visiting the inlaws. So, I was free to spend many hours in the shop. The kids beds I've been working on are taking shape. The headbords are assembled and ready for finish. The footboards need some final sanding and assembly.
I also happened to be near the Rockville Woodcraft while shopping with my wife on Sunday and managed to pick up the final board I need to get the project done.
Good woodworking weekend.

Jay

Steve Clardy
11-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Weekend was way to short.
Finished up a DE plane that T. Hatfield stripped and painted and polished for me.
Split and stacked firewood for the house.
Finished up four upper vanity cabinets.

Tom Conger
11-14-2005, 10:39 AM
I was starting to winterize, so I was replacing a few deck planks. Found that there was no flashing against the house, so, digging a bit deeper, (hate doing that!),found that there was no flashing between the the deck ledger and the house. Upon further digging, found that the joist it was nailed too was totally dry rotted.

So, Friday I started to tear up the entire deck in order to gain access to the floor joists and managed to smash my big toe. Laid on the couch the rest of the day and night with ice.

Saturday, wearing steel toed boots, and limping, I was out there for about fifteen minutes when I tore a bunch of muscles in my back while shifting some wood. Back to the couch, this time with a hot pad.

Sunday, I called in reinforcements, and managed to finish it up. Now it is time for a contractor to come in and see if he can fix it. Also, time to call in the insurance adjuster so they can tell me none of it is covered.

Keel McDonald
11-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I kept busy all day on Saturday, and after church on Sunday, trying to get 2 of the 3 desks I'm building ready for stain. I need to get them all completed by the end of the month. When I volunteered to build them for my church, I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. As it has turned out, it is much more work and time consuming than I first realized. I am very close to staining the first 2 desks. Should be ready tomorrow, I hope! :confused:

Ed Lang
11-14-2005, 11:15 AM
My weekend work started on Wednesday night after work. My wife and oldest son and I went to the shop and tried to find a place for the new machine that will get here in about two weeks. We looked but we could not find a place to put it. So..... I opened my big mouth and made a suggestion ... well they liked it.

My suggestion was to remove the 10'X10' finishroom from the shop. Can you believe it, remove the finish room. Well that is what we did on Wednesday night and Friday night. Then we installed the material I took off of the walls onto the ceiling in the shop. That means removing the lights first. Then reinstalling the lights. So why not reroute the 6" duct work for the cyclone, we are moving a lot of stuff so one more thing will not hurt right? Well I even had to move the ShopBot about 10'. Glad I had the engine lift to lift bowl blanks onto the lathe as it picked up the bot without any trouble and put it on wheels.

OK, Saturday about 4:30pm I was about done in. All energy used up but the shop was looking good... well.... better. Then I needed to make 10 more circus trucks before Thursday for my son to take to the next show so I got started. On Sunday I got all parts cut out and tonight I will start putting them together. It is not so bad to make the 10 circus truck but that means my wife needs to cut 50 animals to go with them:eek: Then sand and finishe each of them. I am glad she likes the scroll saw:D .

So here is what it looks like now if you would like to see.

http://www.kc4ylx.smugmug.com/gallery/769017

Great weekend weather wise too.

John Hart
11-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Saturday morning, with a brand new chainsaw at my side, I proceeded to cut wood....Cherry mostly...with some walnut and maple in there. Saturday afternoon I cut wood. Sunday all day...I cut wood. Turned a vase Sunday evening. That's about it. Oh...and I cut some wood too!!

Have a great week everyone!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
11-14-2005, 11:18 AM
In the summer of 2004 I renovated a storage space on the first floor of our building, "The Summer Renovation". (http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/workshop5.htm) We use this space for teaching English (not me, we have a teacher that rents it from us) and for wine tasting parties. There is a counter along the one wall, but the plan was to put cabinets, like a kitchen, above and below the counter top. Well you know how it is, things get stalled, and then started again, so now it is the fall of 2005, and I'm finally getting these cabinets done.
I'm using 1/4 sawn ash, and I'm really liking this wood. I got all my pieces cut up and over the weekend I glued up the panels and ran everything through the router table.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/tokyostu/door_dry_fit.jpg

Here is one door, the worst looking one, clamped in a dry fit. I've just barely sanded it by hand to knock off some of the fuzz here and there.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/tokyostu/door_corner_fit.jpg
here is the corner fit, I think this will do, yes?
I'm going to sand everything by had before I glue them up, and then finish them and get these done.
I really put my workshop through it's paces on this, using all of my stationary tool, the jointer, planer, TS, SCMS, bandsaw, and the router table, and it was sure nice how everything worked like it was supposed to, and gratifying that all the work I put into building my workshop right, is paying off. The one thing I figured out, was that I'm really short on clamps over the 12" range, I have a good number for the 12" and under range, but these doors don't fit that cat. Oh well, I guess I'll have to buy some new clamps :D

I also had a great time with my two daughters today. They had a going away party for a class mate, but when the got home, we went over to the L shop and did some cleaning up.
We have a loft of sorts over on of the large walk-in fridges in the basement, we use it as deep six storage for stuff, but it was not well organized and a lot of "junk" gets tossed up there.
The girls wanted a place of their own in the L shop, as they spend a lot of time there.
They got the idea of a tree house of sorts, so we cleaned the place up, tossed out a bunch of junk and they ended up with a clear space about 12' x 10'.
The ceilings are low, only about 4', but they, they are still sort of short
They were so happy, and they are making plans for what to do there.
I have some old carpet that is in fine condition they can use, and such. They even took the time to draw out a floor plan.

As a bonus to me, I found some tools I thought were long gone!!
My airless (Wagner like) paint sprayer, and this old Hitachi 1/2 drill I was given a long time ago,
that went missing when we rebuilt the house (I thought it had sprouted wings and flown away).
It turned up in a bag, in a box of baby clothes, go figure.....
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/tokyostu/old_hitachi_drill.jpg
Nothing special, but it was free, and it still works great! Tons of torque too.

All in all, not a bad weekend (which, as I work on Saturdays, is only Sunday!!)

Cheers!

Don Baer
11-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Between doing some yard work and watching the races I managed a little shop time. Made a Sled for the TS, made a few zero clearance inserts for the TS. Cut up and rough demensioned 13 bd.ft. of 8/4 mappple for a pedestal table I'm starting. Baby sit the grand daughter for a few hours on Sunday while LOML and daughter in law went shopping. Other then that I didn't get much done.

Jim O'Dell
11-14-2005, 11:58 AM
I spent Sat afternoon and most of the day Sunday working on the reflectors for the shop lighting. Using 4 X 8 plastic/fiberglass sheets that are textured and bright white on one side. Cut to 24" width, then cut 2X6's for bracing with an arc cut into it for the reflector to sit in. These are mounted between the ceiling joists to recess the lighting. The two I finished this weekend were a total of 18' long to hold 2 8' quad T8 light fixtures. These things are a pain in the rear to put up by your lonesome, but they turned out well. I posted some pictures of the two I did last weekend for the 4' units (6' long, single piece) on my shop rehab thread. Now 2 more 8' fixtures to purchase and wire, and maybe I can get the electricity turned on. Jim.

martyphee
11-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Here is the footboard dry assembled. My Greenlee in the background made short work of the mortises.

http://pheefamily.com/PatricksBed/PatricksBed_Footboard.jpg

Here is the panel for the head board. The panel is 14 1/2 by ~38" and 1" think. It's air dried black walnut I've had from probably 5 or 6 years. This has witch's brew on it. I'm pre-staining everything since there are different processes for the new walnut as opposed to these panels.

http://pheefamily.com/PatricksBed/HeadboardPanel.jpg

Matt Meiser
11-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Saturday I spent the better part of the day running errands. Stopped at Harbor Freight for some supplies and picked up their $70 paint gun kit with the remote pot on sale for $50, with another 20% off from a coupon I had making it $40. The gun and hoses won't see any use (other than as a toy for my daugher--she was "painting" everything in my shop that evening), but the remote cup seems identical to the one Gleem and others sell, so I'll be trying it with my new gun when it arrives. I called gleem this morning and had them add the hoses to my order.

Sunday I spent most of the day in the shop cutting all of the pieces for my daughter's night stand to size and cutting all the mortises and tenons. Hopfully tonight I can cut the rest of the pieces for the main carcase and glue that up.

Dan Gill
11-14-2005, 2:20 PM
I didn't get to fire up a tool at all this weekend. I did try to plan out some small knick-knack shelves my wife wants. Saturday my wife, daughter, and I went to see Dreamer, the movie with Kurt Russell and little Dakota Fanning and a horse. Great flick! I'm not a horse nut like my girls are, but it was a beautiful story, well shot and well acted. That's the first time in a long time I've heard the audience applaud at the end of a movie. And for you guys with daughters, take a handkerchief . . .

Sunday morning was teaching 4- and 5-year-olds at church, Sunday afternoon was an open house at Fellowship of the Sword, and Sunday evening was our regular church service and class. We moved one service to evenings this year and it really helps with the parking and traffic, and gets more use out of the building.

Tom Hamilton
11-14-2005, 2:23 PM
Since it's still summer in Houston, 80+ all weekend, I trimmed hedges, mow
ed, and tended to the yard work.

Got some shop time with the 9 year old granddaughter, she and I are making birdhouses for her two younger sisters' Christmas presents.

Here we are having a little "shop time" together, her first time with a drill. Very nice!

Best to all, Tom

Keith Christopher
11-14-2005, 3:31 PM
On saturday took the kids to my mothers and brothers and then sisters house for a visit. And on the way back, what did I see ? My local woodcraft store ! So we stop in and they're having a veneer / pen turning / scroll saw event. We hang out and the kids go right back to the pen turning. Next thing I know they run up to me with release forms in hand. Long story short they were turning pens to send to the soldiers in Iraq ! Then they wanted me to buy a midi-lathe ! My kids are awesome!! Bought the woodsmith scraper jig and tested it on some curly maple I have for the shtender I'm building. Then spent the rest of the weekend quietly with the kids. Good times.

Sam Chambers
11-14-2005, 5:10 PM
I spent a beautiful weekend here in Atlanta repairing the frame for my front door. What looked like a little rot turned out to be lots of rot, so I spent many hours removing rotten wood, stabilizing the rest with thin epoxy, filling large gaps with scraps of cypress and thicker epoxy, then patching with really thick epoxy paste. While waiting for all the epoxy to dry, I decided to paint the rest of the frame. It supposed to rain here for a few days, so I hope I did a good enough job. I'll have to make it all look pretty next weekend.

Michael Pfau
11-14-2005, 6:16 PM
Watching football all weekend, was where it was at around here! I am making a reed case for my son who plays the sax. He is studying in Paris right now and wanted me to make him a case and ship it to him. Walnut, about 4 x 8 will hold 10 reeds. Plate glass will go in it along with velvet. Ordered the hinges and clasp yesturday. Also ordered (while I was already on the Lee Valley web site) my birthday gift. The osbern miter guage! Soo that sums it upp....Football and ordering more tools! GO MONTANA GRIZZLIES!

Bruce Page
11-14-2005, 6:54 PM
I’m going to have some surgery this coming Friday that will keep me in bed for a few weeks. LOML decided that a bedroom TV was in order. (probably so I wouldn’t drive her wacko!:rolleyes: ) After some internet research, I picked this up Saturday, a 32” Sony Bravia HD LCD set.
Stunning picture!

Kent Parker
11-14-2005, 6:59 PM
Pressed about 3 1/2 tons of Cabernet grapes! Yeah !! its that time of year:)

After pouring the grapes into a bladder press, your tighten down the lid and turn on water pressure to press the grapes. The internal bladder inflates and presto

you have liquid without grape skins. After pressing, the liquid, will be aged in Oak barrels, some French Oak, some American Oak

Now we have to wait about two years....

Cheers,

Kent

Mike Cutler
11-14-2005, 7:04 PM
Well. This weekend was for LOML. We went up to the Equine Affaire in Springfield Mass. and she bought lots of horse stuff.
I needed something bigger than the truck to bring home all of her loot and swag, so I got her a new Brenderup horse trailer.
It's fairly good size, I figure a tablesaw and a jointer could fit into it in a pinch if I just "happened" upon a good deal.;).

All in all it was a good weekend spent with my wife.

Tyler Howell
11-14-2005, 8:44 PM
I’m going to have some surgery this coming Friday that will keep me in bed for a few weeks. LOML decided that a bedroom TV was in order. (probably so I wouldn’t drive her wacko!:rolleyes: ) After some internet research, I picked this up Saturday, a 32” Sony Bravia HD LCD set.
Stunning picture!

Bruce get out of that bed and back in the shop soon (great gloat though);)

Bernie Weishapl
11-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Finished my table saw cart with outfeed table and got my HF DC setup. Waiting for the Wyn filters for it. Watched football. Finished the cabinet that was my mothers that the other kids were going to throw away.

Paul Canaris
11-15-2005, 7:22 AM
The wife had been wanting a small bench for the front stoop, so I made her one. I used some of the lumber that my slider came crated in to keep it rustic looking.

Jim Dunn
11-15-2005, 8:58 AM
Stayed out of my wife's hair while she hosted a baby shower for her niece. Took the father to be out on a trip to Bass Pro and then lunch. Sunday helped her clean up after the party. A bunch of women can sure be messy:D

John Miliunas
11-15-2005, 9:36 AM
A bunch of women can sure be messy:D

And LOUD!!! Don't forget LOUD!:eek: I swear that 10 women at any kind of party are louder than an entire saloon full of guys!!!:D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2005, 9:41 AM
Are you hanging out in saloons again John?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

John Miliunas
11-15-2005, 9:47 AM
Are you hanging out in saloons again John?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Naw, quit doin' that years ago but, strangely enough, was just talking about a similar thing with a friend yesterday. That conversation was more about enthusiastic female football fans. I mentioned that, when I would go to one of the local watering holes to watch a ball game, I would make every effort to NOT sit next to or near a bunch of female fans. Seems that any time I ever did end up next to or near one, I'd end up leaving after the game, half deaf with a sore shoulder and/or arm!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Ken Kimbrell
11-15-2005, 12:36 PM
My ‘Accomplishment’ is actually not just a weekender… it’s more like a Spring/Summer/Fall thing and maybe even a Winter thing too!

We are getting close to being finished with the new siding project and hope to have it completed before the weather gets too cold and rainy.
Stuff happens and keeps causing interruptions!:eek:

Here is a pix of the garage area… if you would like to see more go HERE. (http://www.mykimbrell.com/Siding.htm)
http://www.mykimbrell.com/IMG_1429%20(Small).JPG

Tyler Howell
11-15-2005, 1:00 PM
Great looking house Ken, Nice big shop!

Ken Kimbrell
11-15-2005, 2:00 PM
Great looking house Ken, Nice big shop! Thanks Tyler.
We hope to have the house looking good with fresh paint and a better yard (grass) by next summer.
As for the shop, we all know how plans can change, sometimes more than once... or twice!
Meaning, the shop is in the garage just for now while I am doing some of the bigger projects on & in the house, sometime next year it will be moved to the barn because of the noise and dust and not wanting to make all that extra work for SWMBO. The dust can really plug up those AC filters!:o
There is one really nice plus to that move, the barn is way bigger than the garage and the ceilings are about twice as high!

Garry Smith
11-15-2005, 4:43 PM
Put the final finish on the cherry burl fruit bowl.
beginning to end at this link.
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/FruitBowl.htm

http://www.superwoodworks.com/images/CherryBurl/CherryBurl1Small.JPG

to
http://www.superwoodworks.com/images/CherryBurl/FruitBowl2Small.JPG

http://www.superwoodworks.com/images/CherryBurl/FruitBowlBottom2Small.JPG