PDA

View Full Version : Your Essential Incra Rules

David Shoemaker
03-23-2018, 5:01 AM
I've been thinking about investing in some Incra Rules and have been tempted by some of their sets. But, I can't help wondering... do I really needed 3 different sizes of each rule? I'd hate to spend $200 plus on a set of rules, only to use a few of them.

So, I'd like to ask: If you use Incra rules, which ones do you use the most? What do you think are the essential ones to purchase? Thanks in advance!

Jim Becker
03-23-2018, 10:18 AM
I use the rules from Lee Valley...the whole set. They have both imperial and metric markings which serves me well.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=32568&cat=1,43513

http://www.leevalley.com/us/images/item/woodworking/markmeasure/06k2006s5.jpg

I only have one type of Incra Rules devices...the protractor...and it's an OK tool. What I am looking forward to using is the Woodpeckers tee-square layout rule that I just picked up at The Woodworking Shows event in NJ. It arrived a few days ago.

William Adams
03-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Haven't bought any, but the ones which I want are the smaller / special purpose ones. Need to work up a list and buy a couple sometime soon.

Rick Moyer
03-23-2018, 12:20 PM
I use the rules from Lee Valley...the whole set. They have both imperial and metric markings which serves me well.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=32568&cat=1,43513

http://www.leevalley.com/us/images/item/woodworking/markmeasure/06k2006s5.jpg

I only have one type of Incra Rules devices...the protractor...and it's an OK tool. What I am looking forward to using is the Woodpeckers tee-square layout rule that I just picked up at The Woodworking Shows event in NJ. It arrived a few days ago.

Jim I use their small 6" version a lot. Really like it.

Peter Kuhlman
03-23-2018, 12:42 PM
I have a few of the Incra rules and no longer use them. They are so floppy that I find then of no benefit. Just try to pick up a 12” or longer model and mark something - very awkward and frustrating for me. Sure they are super accurate but I get the same benefit from using my Starret and Lee Valley rules.

Stephen Rosenthal
03-23-2018, 1:33 PM
The only Incra rule I have is their 6" T-rule. Highly recommended. They offer other sizes, but I don't need those.

Rod Sheridan
03-23-2018, 2:00 PM
I have the rules that Jim illustrated.

They're well made, and have metric and that other weird measurement system on them:D

They also come in a range of sizes, the smallest is just right for a pocket and the longest handles most large cabinet pieces.........Rod.

Randy Heinemann
03-23-2018, 2:19 PM
I have several Incra rules and a 6" and 12" T-rule. I use the smallest Incra rules, 3" and 6", plus the T-rules most often. The small rules I use for measuring and marking on a very small scale. The T's I find are sometimes useful for running a line along at a constant distance from an edge. Problem is that .5 mm lead is so thin it breaks a lot. I also have a corner marking rule from INcra. I use this to transfer marks around an edge. They all come in handy when I need them, but I would think that you could get along without any of them. For sure, you don't need a whole set. I have other marking T-squares from Woodpeckers that I use more often because I can use whatever marking pencil I want and they are just as accurate.

Matt Day
03-23-2018, 2:44 PM
I have a couple sets of the LV ones Jig m mentioned and they’re my go to’s. The 6” and 12” get the most use.

Prashun Patel
03-23-2018, 3:07 PM
I have the Incra 6" T rule. It's fine. It does what is says it does.

The thing is, for the frequency of use, I think it's visually fatiguing. There are just too many markings. And I don't really find that the holes improve the marking. I find it easier to mark with a conventional ruler that goes to 1/16".

One nice thing about the T rule: There are times I want to scribe a line from the edge. It's pretty good for this.

Ralph Okonieski
03-23-2018, 6:08 PM
I have the 6 inch T-rule. Can’t say I use on every project but do use frequently. The markings are hard to read at times due to the shear number of them but would not want to do without the rule.

Frederick Skelly
03-23-2018, 6:16 PM
It's not what you asked for, but here's another option from Lee Valley. I have all of these (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=72020&cat=1,43513). After using them a few times, I got rid of all my others (except for 2 WP rules). I like these for 2 reasons: 1) they dont overwhelm with fine gradations; 2) on one side, the scale starts at 0 next to the hook, on the other it's zero against the non-hook end. It's shocking how much I love this feature.

Like I said, I kept my 2 WP rules but I seldom use them.

Fred

Jim Becker
03-23-2018, 6:47 PM
Fred, I have one of those, too, for when the hook is convenient. But I prefer the others that I posted about earlier...and even more so now that I've started working almost exclusively in metric.

Frederick Skelly
03-23-2018, 9:21 PM
Fred, I have one of those, too, for when the hook is convenient. But I prefer the others that I posted about earlier...and even more so now that I've started working almost exclusively in metric.

Understand Jim. I plan to order one of the 36" rules from that set you flagged!

Ken Platt
03-23-2018, 9:59 PM
I'm going to differ with most of the posters so far and say flat out that I love these things, and use them nearly constantly. They may be the most used items in my "marking and measuring" tool set.

I actually have a whole set of T-rules and bend rules, in 6", 12" and 18" sizes. I find that marking a workpiece off a mark on a rule to be very difficult to do with precision, and not improving as I age. With the Incra rules, easy to mark and always dead-on repeatable. I don't use the "X-Y" or protractor often, but they also are great when I need their particular capacities. They didn't have the 3" when I started buying these things, and I don't see that it adds anything to the 6" ones for me. Maybe if I started making a lot of tiny projects.

I do break the lead often, especially in wood with deep pores like red oak, but I just click it out and keep right on going. These leads are so cheap that I am still working on the first package of leads I got years ago. I didn't like the Incra-branded pencil that came with one of the rules way back, so I got a couple others at an office store.

If something happened to mine, I would buy another whole set immediately. If I had to pick less than the full set, I'd probably do without the 18" bend and T-rules, the protractor, and the X-Y one. But trying to do without the 6" and 12" bend and T-rules would be like learning to get by without the tablesaw. I could do it, and replace the capacities in other ways, but it'd be hard.

I am really surprised that there aren't more positive comments on these - I find them to be indispensable.

Ken

Matt Day
03-23-2018, 10:20 PM
I just realized I have two of the Incra T-rules. They almost never make it out of the drawer. If I need to mark a parallel line I might grab it instead of an old fashioned adjustable square, but I find I rarely need to do that for the work I do. There’s nothing wrong with them, and they do what they’re supposed to, but I just don’t seem to have that need very often.

That hook rule mentioned above might make it on my wish list though.

Clint Baxter
03-24-2018, 6:03 AM
I also find the Incra rules to be of extreme value. Other than the corner rule. That one pretty much never comes out. I actually use the tiny T-rule the most. I have the T and the straight rules in both metric and SAE. My biggest beef with them is that they don’t offer a Tiny T-rule in metric. ��

i also have the Lee Valley set that Jim showed as well as a whole complement of Woodpecker offerings. It seems like each one has a particular area in which it works best, (Woodpeckers for rigidity, Incra for precise placement of marks, etc.) I tend to use them all, grabbing the one that works best for the task.

I don’t think much of their .5mm pencil either and will usually only grab it if I can’t find one of the others located throughout the shop.

Clint

Jim Dwight
03-24-2018, 11:37 AM
I have a 12 inch t ruler. I got along years without any of these but when I got a track saw, I decided I needed a more accurate way to put a mark on a piece of wood. My normal way to use my table saw or CMS is to set the fence or stop with a steel ruler, not mark the wood. I find that to be more accurate for me. I made a track positioning gauge I like for the track saw but sometimes it is just easier to cut to a mark, which the track saw does very well. I found my marks were the source of error, not the tool. So I improved my marking capability - for relatively short distance marks. I agree about the leads (I bought a pack of cheap BIC pencils with 0.5mm lead) and the holes being a bit challenging to locate. But it does what it does very well.

Jim Becker
03-24-2018, 4:23 PM
You will like it...I use the 36" one quite a bit, actually. And they are thicker than the hook type you have now. Having multiple lengths has been very useful to me so I can use a rule that's as long as possible without being bigger than the workpiece. Too long can be inconvenient when it's an inside measurement of some sort and too short is, well...too short. :)

Ted Phillips
03-25-2018, 2:49 PM
My most-used ruler is the Incra 12-inch centering ruler. Nothing beats it for marking joinery.

TedP

Jacob Mac
03-25-2018, 3:03 PM
My most-used ruler is the Incra 12-inch centering ruler. Nothing beats it for marking joinery.

TedP

This is my experience as well. I only have the 12 inch, and I wouldn't be without it. That and a story stick really helped the quality of my work.

Eric Commarato
03-27-2018, 1:30 PM
I'm very intrigued with the Incra Rules. I have two, the 6" T Rule and the Tiny-T, I don't use them much, actually mine are really brand new, and I've had them for a couple years. I always fall back on my Starrett combination squares or a nice heavy Starrett or Lufkin machinist rule. For woodworking they are very precise.

Dennis Peacock
03-27-2018, 2:15 PM
I own and use the metal rulers from LV. Love them and they are great quality without busting the wallet.

Brian Eaton
03-27-2018, 2:23 PM
Jim,

how would these work as a straight edge? I’d be interested in the 36 inch version to help with longer measurements but it would be nice and economical if it would also be a suitable straight edge for checking for flatness on wider and longer boards (the longest straight edge I have is the Veritas winding sticks at 18”).

Jim Becker
03-27-2018, 4:05 PM
Brian, these rules are sturdy, but thin. They might work for incidental flatness checking on edge, but they are not designed for that nor are they likely as precise as one of those uber-expensive "ground and guaranteed to be flat" bars that are specifically for that purpose.

Carlos Alvarez
03-27-2018, 4:45 PM
Most important is different from most used. My most important one is the the wide one with pencil holes all over it and a guide. When I want some absolutely perfect lines on something, there is no other good option. I don't need it often, but it does something important when I do. The others are used more often for everyday measuring, but I could also get away with a less-perfect ruler and being more careful.

I lust for their $50 protractor.

Brett Luna
03-27-2018, 4:55 PM

I tried to order the 36" back in January but was told that it wasn't available. I substituted the 40" model, with no regrets. It looks like that ruler listing is still messed up. The 40" ruler has no "add to cart" button.

Jim Becker
03-27-2018, 8:00 PM
Brett, all sizes show available as of about 15 seconds ago excepting the 40" version. (which was wasn't even aware of and doesn't appear to be available any longer) The whole set for $32 is a really good value, IMHO. These are nicely made rules.

Chris Parks
03-27-2018, 9:00 PM
Having inset graduations that you can feel is the most important thing in a rule for me and the Incra fills the same requirement and more. I use them for the conventional reason that others do, they give an absolute repeatable mark with no guess work. The other reason is that setting a pair of dividers is easy as they lock into the marks as with a proper machinist's rule which is why the marks are inset in the first place. I have two Incra T rules and never use the 300mm version on a regular basis but the 150mm version all the time. I also have a flat straight rule given to me and I don't think I have ever used that.

Carlos Alvarez
03-28-2018, 11:20 AM
This thread is like putting a pile of cocaine in front of an addict. Here I go to incra.com and Amazon...

Jim Becker
03-28-2018, 1:53 PM
This thread is like putting a pile of cocaine in front of an addict. Here I go to incra.com and Amazon...
...and Lee Valley. :) :D

glenn bradley
03-28-2018, 2:17 PM
The only Incra rule I have is their 6" T-rule. Highly recommended. They offer other sizes, but I don't need those.

I use the rules from Lee Valley...the whole set. They have both imperial and metric markings which serves me well

This pretty much describes me.

Carlos Alvarez
03-28-2018, 2:23 PM
...and Lee Valley. :) :D

The speedball of measurement for OCD people. Thanks. And I can't even turn to the wife to talk me down, because she's both a woodworker and has measurement OCD too.

Nick Decker
03-28-2018, 2:28 PM
These days, my eyes avoid rules with 32nds and 64ths.

Jim Becker
03-28-2018, 4:44 PM
I just noticed in the latest Woodcraft "sale" catalog that they have the 40" version of what appears to be similar to the cabinetmakers rules in various sizes that I posted about from Lee Valley...they are all on sale, too.

Brett Luna
03-28-2018, 6:41 PM
Brett, all sizes show available as of about 15 seconds ago excepting the 40" version. (which was wasn't even aware of and doesn't appear to be available any longer) The whole set for $32 is a really good value, IMHO. These are nicely made rules.

Yep, I guess that listing may still be a bit out of sorts. When I placed my order in January, the 36" was shown as in stock but the nice gal at Lee Valley told me it wasn't available and offered me the 40", which I also didn't know about. The funny thing is, the 36" is still listed in my order history (Qty: 0) and shows "No Status Available". Edit: never mind the previous sentence. That was the shipping status that wasn't available. Derp.

Thanks for the feedback on the 4-ruler set. I have their hook rule set and was looking at that one to round out the collection.

David Shoemaker
03-31-2018, 3:22 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback. I think I may just start by purchasing the centering rule and one of the small T-rules.

lowell holmes
03-31-2018, 4:24 PM
I have a Starrett trisquare. I have some rules I never use, but the Starrett is used daily.

Carlos Alvarez
04-02-2018, 12:51 PM
I mostly blame Jim for the $300-something I spent on stuff at Woodpeckers this weekend. I decided that they had some features I need more than those from Incra or Lee Valley.

Jim Becker
04-02-2018, 4:25 PM
I mostly blame Jim for the $300-something I spent on stuff at Woodpeckers this weekend. I decided that they had some features I need more than those from Incra or Lee Valley.
ROFLOL! 'Happy to be of service.

I actually stopped by Woodcraft today on the way home from picking up some very lovely cherry lumber from a fellow 'Creeker and grabbed one of the 40" rules on sale that's similar to the Lee Valley sourced set I mentioned earlier. That extra 4"/100mm will surely come in handy from time to time.