PDA

View Full Version : A project of firsts, a stained glass desk.

Robert Mayer
11-14-2005, 8:43 AM
This was a project of firsts for me. This is a stained glass desk for my wife. The top is mdf since its easy to replace after its worn. The sides of the top are quilted sycamore, african mahoghany legs, and hard maple for the feet. There is a slide out keyboard-like drawer for extra workspace (its partially rolled out in this picture).

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/596ny_trip_7.1.05_001.jpg

The legs on this desk were my first mortise and tenons I ever did. I used a tenoning jig to cut the mortises on the legs and then cut out the mortises with the drill press and chisel. This was also the first square ebony plugs I have done. I did them with a chisel only which was great practice.

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/4781ny_trip_7.1.05_002.jpg

This was also the first dovetails I have ever made which I had a bit of trouble with at first. But the final product isnt bad. I did them on a porter cable 12" jig.

http://www.imagehostplus.com/v2/usr/158/9779ny_trip_7.1.05_004.jpg

The design is a bit unusual I know. I kinda made it up as I went along. But it will be fun to work together with my wife to make some great projects. She does the stained glass and I will do the woodwork. I finished it with 3 coats of semigloss arm-a-seal.

Jarrod Nelson
11-14-2005, 8:57 AM
"A Stained Glass Desk". For the life of me, I couldn't see the stained glass. It wasn't until the end I figured out it was a desk FOR stained glass. :D I'm a little dim.

Really nice design. I'm in the process of finishing a room in my basement for an office. I need to build a desk and have been thinking of designs. Your's gives me some good ideas. Thanks.

Maurice Ungaro
11-14-2005, 9:01 AM
Robert,
You do nice work. I like creating designs based on need.

Tom Hamilton
11-14-2005, 9:03 AM
Robert, for a "practice piece" with a lot of firsts, you did good! Your bride is no doubt a happy girl. And as we all know, when Momma's happy everyone is happy! :D

Thanks for sharing. TJH

Robert Mayer
11-14-2005, 9:05 AM
"A Stained Glass Desk". For the life of me, I couldn't see the stained glass. It wasn't until the end I figured out it was a desk FOR stained glass. :D I'm a little dim.

Really nice design. I'm in the process of finishing a room in my basement for an office. I need to build a desk and have been thinking of designs. Your's gives me some good ideas. Thanks.

I was a bit vague on what its used for... My wife was making her stained glass in the shop with me, but its a bit dusty in there. So we put down slate floors and she can work inside now.

The big thing was to ensure it was the exact height needed and keeping the legs out of the way to allow for some knee room. I didnt want to glue up the entire thing because I want to be able to disassemble it when we move. So the table has a bit of wobble side to side because it has some screws holding it together. But that wont matter too much since I am going to set two drywall screws and anchor it to the wall.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-14-2005, 9:38 AM
Nice project Robert! I like the use of the contrasting woods!

Tyler Howell
11-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Very Nice Robert, we've watched you come a long way here in the Creek.
Keep up the great work

Jason Tuinstra
11-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Robert, nice job on the choice of woods. They all go together and the qs grain on the front piece adds a nice look. Great job. I'm sure your wife is going to create beautiful pieces of stained glass on such a beautiful piece of furniture.

Jim Becker
11-14-2005, 11:43 AM
That's a really nice desk with purpose, Robert! Beautiful workmanship and design.

Dan Forman
11-14-2005, 4:14 PM
Nice job on a project with a lot of firsts!!! I'm sure she will like it.

Dan

Joe Unni
11-14-2005, 4:27 PM
Very cool!

Good job Robert.

-joe