PDA

View Full Version : Anti-kickback blade and SS

Jack Frederick
03-22-2018, 10:38 AM
Eureka! I found my Freud Rip and Crosscut blades. I packed them away when we moved cross country in '11. Things are still surfacing. These are both excellent blades and pricey. I sent the rip blade out for sharpening and then got thinking about it. The SawStop doesn't care for anti-kick back blades as I recall. Can anyone expand on that, please.

Yesterday I picked my Grandson up from kindergarten. Another of the boys Dad's was there to pick him up and this lad excitedly brought my GS over to see his Dad's left hand. It was severely cut across three fingers and deeply into the web of his hand and his father said, "table saw". I didn't get to speak with him further for more detail and we came back to the house. The lad went in with him Grandmom and I went out to the shop and was working on the SS. He will regularly come out to the shop and say, "Grandpa, Let's build something." A cross-bow, a sling-shot, "things for his Mommy" cutting boards, stools, etc. Frequently we will make odd shapes from my off-cuts which he then takes over to his bench and plays with. Yesterday, he wanted to know if my saw could cut me too. I gave him an emphatic yes! We walked around the shop and talked about all the things that can hurt you. At 6 he is incredibly sweet and I didn't want to scare him. I also didn't want to miss the opportunity to make him understand the risks involved with tools and the necessity of safe operation of ALL tools. I've poked plenty of holes in my hands with screwdrivers over the years. We are working on a new top for his Mom & Dad's old round dining room table together. I'll be interested to see how he feels about our conversation today when I pick him up

glenn bradley
03-22-2018, 10:46 AM
It never ceases to amaze me what information one can find in their manual:

Robert Hazelwood
03-22-2018, 10:50 AM
From what I've read the teeth on the anti-kickback blades are shaped in such a way that the aluminum block the SS safety mechanism uses can't grip it as well, so the blade won't be stopped as quickly. So if you did contact the blade you might suffer a more severe cut even though the safety mechanism activates.

There was a huge Sawstop thread a week or two ago inspired by a video of someone who got a nasty cut using a Sawstop, and I believe he was using an anti-kickback blade.

Rod Sheridan
03-22-2018, 11:31 AM
Interesting, reduce the incidence of cuts but increase the risk of kickback.

As always, life is a compromise..............Rod.

Nick Decker
03-22-2018, 1:00 PM
From what I've read the teeth on the anti-kickback blades are shaped in such a way that the aluminum block the SS safety mechanism uses can't grip it as well, so the blade won't be stopped as quickly. So if you did contact the blade you might suffer a more severe cut even though the safety mechanism activates.

There was a huge Sawstop thread a week or two ago inspired by a video of someone who got a nasty cut using a Sawstop, and I believe he was using an anti-kickback blade.

Yup, that's my understanding about the "humps" or shoulders or whatever they're called. Instead of a sharp tooth, the brake engages with that hump, which doesn't embed and stop like a tooth would. The guy in the video ended up with a gash and some stitches, but still has his thumb. He said he was unaware that the anti-kickback blades could cause a problem.