PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 718

Howard Barlow
11-14-2005, 2:47 AM
Hi gang. I haven't been around for about a year and a half. Hopefully, I'll be a regular again.

I was at Lowes today and saw the 718. Anyone have this model? Other than the twin tubes being side by side, rather than over and under, are there any noteworty improvements? I loved my 708, thinking of getting the 718.

Frank Pellow
11-14-2005, 7:22 AM
Fr those of you who, like me, have hot memorixed the numbers of the DeWalt tools :D, Howard it talking about a sliding compound miter saw.

Jason Roehl
11-14-2005, 7:45 AM
Howard, welcome back!

The 718 does look like it has some pretty good improvements. It looks like they have really gone for what carpenters are after, so they have increased the cutting capacity over the 708 (which I have) in virtually every respect.

Here's a link:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=9793

Greg Heppeard
11-14-2005, 8:59 AM
I suggest getting them to unpack it at the store and check the flushness of the table. I have one that is off almost 1/32". It doesn't sound like much, but when cutting a board and the board dips slightly after the cut and then raising the saw back up, it cuts a bevel on the end of the board. I'm going to call DeWalt this morning to find out what's up.

I also got the laser for it, it's a little difficult to line up.

I also have a Porter Cable dual laser, which I love. Laser on it is right on and no problems with the saw at all.

Howard Barlow
11-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Fr those of you who, like me, have hot memorixed the numbers of the DeWalt tools :D, Howard it talking about a sliding compound miter saw.

:o Uh, yeah, thanks, Frank. I guess I shoulda said that.

And, thanks, Jason.

I suggest getting them to unpack it at the store and check the flushness of the table. I have one that is off almost 1/32". It doesn't sound like much, but when cutting a board and the board dips slightly after the cut and then raising the saw back up, it cuts a bevel on the end of the board. I'm going to call DeWalt this morning to find out what's up.

I also got the laser for it, it's a little difficult to line up.

I also have a Porter Cable dual laser, which I love. Laser on it is right on and no problems with the saw at all.

Greg, I suppose you mean difficultly without it. Are those lasers precise, and totally dependable? Is the blade going to hit the beam exactly? Thanks.

Steve Clardy
11-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Haven't seen one up close.
But with the new 718's coming out, theres some bargains on the 708's.
I bought another 708, still in the box. Awaiting the time to turn my radial arm saw into a boat anchor, and set the new 708 in it's place.

Don Baer
11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Howard,
I tested one a few weeks back, here's a thread where I gave my impressonms of the saw.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25178

Howard Barlow
11-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Don. Good info.