PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chucks

John Miliunas
11-13-2005, 11:39 PM
OK, as I start to get back a bit into turning, I can see where a vacuum chuck could be of great use. Not being at all familiar with these systems, I have a few questions: First, does anybody use one of these:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=991-4222

If so, do you like it? Positives? Negatives?

Then, I already have a small vacuum pump for a vacuum veneer press. Would this be good enough for the more conventional style of vacuum chucks??? I see from the site above, there are a number of components available but, quite frankly, I don't know what most of them do, nor do I have a ton of $$$ to spend on this. I need to keep it as low budget as possible.:) Thanks for any info/tips/etc...:) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
11-13-2005, 11:43 PM
John,

Mark Cothren and I both use the E-Z Adapter which is a through the headstock type adapter. Then we use the aluminum vac-chucks from Packard. I'd recommend the 5-1/2" vac-chuck as I have the 3-1/2" and the 5-1/2" and the 5'er gets used almost exclusively. Works very well and not all that expensive to get setup.

Loy Hawes
11-14-2005, 12:00 AM
I sent you a PM. I have a nice pdf file full of info but it is too large to post here.

Cecil Arnold
11-14-2005, 12:02 AM
John, if you have a through headstock you can use this one and save yourself about half the money http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=314-1050 This is the one I use on a PM3520a and it has served well. If your vac. pump will pull between say 18-25"hg you should have adequate holding power. The only problems I've had, and a number of others from some of the threads, is sealing the chuck base stock, usually two thicknesses of MDF, so it doesn't allow air in the chamber. I recommend using thinned yellow glue on the MDF after you have your chuck finished and are pulling a vacuum on the system. That really pulls the glue into the MDF and seals it very well. I've used 4 & 6" PVC for the "bells" and along the way discovered that instead of using regular pipe you can use the connectors which seem to be a bit more "true" and have a flange in the center that will give you some extra materials to work with if you cut the connector just longer than center. I've used the "O" ring material sold by Packard on the end of the "bells" but think you might be better off with the neoprene foam tape that ??Someone sells. One other item that will make your life easier (if you are using a scroll chuck) is a #2MT that fits in the tail stock and will accept the chuck. Screw the chuck to the adapter, jam it into the tail stock, run it up to the vac chuck, turn on the pump, loosen and back off the tail stock, and that sucker is centered and ready to reverse turn. Hope that helps ind is not too confusing as it's been a long day.

Jim Ketron
11-14-2005, 12:04 AM
John I don't know about the one you show cant help there.
But can you give us some info on the pump you have now?
Also you can find some good used Gast pumps off Ebay thats where I got mine and I know a few others on here did the same. I think I got mine used for around $75 and I also have the E-Z adapter that Dennis mentioned. There are a few other things that you will need to make the vacuum set up nice and easy. If you want I can show you my set up and all the acc that you will need.

sascha gast
11-14-2005, 2:31 AM
Hey John, I have the Gast pump from the surplus center and as a chuck, I use the one on Bill Grumbine's site. I love it, it's not a through the headstock setup but rather an actual chuck. I bought the whole kit he has on his site, really awesome unit. www.wonderfulwood.com.

Sascha

Clem Wixted
11-14-2005, 11:51 AM
I sent you a PM. I have a nice pdf file full of info but it is too large to post here.
Loy,

Could you send a copy to me also?

Thanks.

Clem

Jim Becker
11-14-2005, 11:54 AM
John...I personally wouldn't be comfortable with anything involving a shop vac (expecially for anything bigger than thimbles ;) ) and further, most shop vacs also require air flow to keep the motor cool...you don't get that in a vacuum application. The EZ adapter that Dennis and others mention is a nice way to attach and you can pick up a Gast pump surplus relatively reasonably...and can also use it for vacuum veneering should you get into that, too. I used the EZ adapter with the small OneWay lathe I used to own and was very pleased with it. (My Stubby has a built in port) There is an article on my site that talks about the components necssary for putting a system together.

John Miliunas
11-14-2005, 1:18 PM
Thanks for all the tips, leads and info, guys!:)

Loy, I'm really looking forward to that additional info from you! Much appreciated!

So far, it looks like maybe the EZ is the front runner. Sascha, especially seeing your and Bill's endorsement of the Vacuumaster, I'd love to try it out but, there's now way that my current funds can even come close to that setup!:o It does look mighty interesting, though!

Jim B., I was considering the one I initially indicated, primarily due to budget concerns. While I don't know about having enough pull, I do have a Fein vac, which does indeed incorporate separate cooling, so that particular vac would lend itself OK to this application, me thinks. BUT, it still looks as though it would be more cumbersome to work around.:rolleyes:

I'll keep researching and I'll take a peek at my vacuum pump this evening and see if I can find out what it pulls. Thanks again gents! Very helpful, as usual!:) :cool:

Loy Hawes
11-14-2005, 4:05 PM
Loy,

Could you send a copy to me also?

Thanks.

Clem

Sure. PM an email address.

John Miliunas
11-14-2005, 7:13 PM
Wow Loy, is that guy some type of astro-physisist or something????:eek: Man, information overload! Thanks. I'll try to see if I can come to grips with all that info!:rolleyes:

BTW, I checked my vac pump when I got home. It's made by Thomas (right here in Wisconsin, no less!:D ) and it will pull 25HG. It's from the "Vacupress Compact 100" system. It looks awful small compared to some of the ones I'm seeing on the "Bay", but if the specs are correct, my reckonning is that it should be enough. What do you guys think? :confused: :) :cool:

Gary DeWitt
11-14-2005, 8:39 PM
Here's a PDF that has more on this subject than any other I've found:
http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips/vacuum_chuck/vac_chuck_briefing.pdf
I use the EZ adapter and a pump procured from the printing company I worked for. As printers went to computers, they abandoned their large format cameras, which had Gast vacuum pumps incorporated in them. I'll bet there are still hundreds of companies out there with mothballed pumps in storage, willing to give them up cheap.

Ernie Nyvall
11-14-2005, 8:46 PM
Thanks for posting this John. This came up before and I forgot to save all the information. Here it is again.

Ernie

Loy Hawes
11-14-2005, 8:53 PM
Wow Loy, is that guy some type of astro-physisist or something????:eek: Man, information overload! Thanks. I'll try to see if I can come to grips with all that info!:rolleyes:

LOL, I am still recovering from reading that pdf John! When I got to some of the math my little calculator committed suicide by jumping off the end of the desk. :D

Jim Sample
11-14-2005, 10:46 PM
John

This the link to Surplus Center were I purchased a new Gastvacuum pump for my system, $89.00. They are 220 volts only which is easy to wire. Their site shows over 1700 in stock. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005062006115650&item=4-1540&catname=

Jim Sample

John Miliunas
11-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the additional tips and info, gents!:) When I get the scratch together, I think I may start with the EZ setup Dennis mentions and hope that my little vac pump does the trick. If it doesn't, then it's wait longer until I can save for the pump. :(

Jim S., that pump from Surplus Center looks tempting if the one I have doesn't cover it! :)

As usual, I knew I could count on your guys for some answers! Thanks again!:) :cool:

Joe Melton
11-17-2005, 5:53 PM
I am considering the Gast 0523 pump on the Surplus Center site. As stated above, it is 220 volts. Does anyone know if it can be wired for 110 volts? Surplus Center has not answered my query.
Joe

Gary DeWitt
11-17-2005, 6:48 PM
Joe,
first link on Google for Gast 0503 is this site, which is selling a rebuilt for a lot more than the surplus place, but has the same model wired for 115v.
I'm too lazy to go all the way down to my gar...er, studio and see how mine is configured, and if it's the same model, but I do have one about the same size that came wired for 115v. I also have a 1.5 hp motor in my sander that came wired for 220 but had a diagram for 115 on it, I rewired it myself with no problems since.

http://www.septicsolutions.net/store/gast_%20rotary_vane.htm

Hope this helps.

John Miliunas
11-17-2005, 7:00 PM
Joe, I did a pretty extensive search on that model and, I did come up with this site: http://www.seowoncorp.com/pdf/gast/rotary/0323-1423.pdf , which is showing that series as having a 110 specific or a 220 specific model, except for those listed as only being available in Europe! From what Gary is saying, it seems as though some are switchable between the two. I guess, it may just depend on which one in the series you get. If I were to go for one of those, I'd probably just plan on running it 220, though if it could be converted, then it's a "bonus".:) :cool:

Loy Hawes
11-17-2005, 7:07 PM
I am considering the Gast 0523 pump on the Surplus Center site. As stated above, it is 220 volts. Does anyone know if it can be wired for 110 volts? Surplus Center has not answered my query.
Joe

I did a search and found this link. Looks like the motor is only setup for 220.

http://www.gastmfg.com/discus/messages/23/130.html?TuesdayAugust1420010953am

Here is the manual in case anyone needs it.

http://www.gastmfg.com/pdf/23_oilless_OM.pdf

Jim Sample
11-17-2005, 8:16 PM
John

This particular pump is a specific 220 volt only, probably was destined to a commerical opertation as nearly all comerical is 220 volts, later diverted to surplus.

Jim Sample