PDA

View Full Version : Aldi Chisel Handle Redux

Mike Baker 2
03-20-2018, 9:39 PM
I have a couple sets of the Aldi chisels. They work fine, but the handles are butt ugly, have a really poorly done finish, and the hoops not only look like crap, but actually serve no purpose, IMO.
So I took matters in hand, so to speak. I took inspiration from a blog post Paul Sellers did. Mine is my take on it, inspired by his. I have no finish on them as yet. Temps need to warm up a bit for that.

And here is a video on the process I took.
Thanks for looking!

https://youtu.be/afElnmKdp68

John C Cox
03-20-2018, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the video. I think many people end up living with chisel handles they really don't like - or sending great steel down the road because the handles just don't fit.

I have reshaped or replaced several factory chisel handles. There is something rewarding about making handles that fit your hands well.

I have carved a few with a spoke shave or even another chisel in the set...

Don't tell anybody I turned several on my mini metal lathe using steel cutting tool bits to do it... ;)

Oh.. And on finishing them.... Try working them before you finish them. On the advice of a crusty old pattern maker - I tried unfinished handles.. And I like the feel in my hands a whole lot better... They don't slip or slide around in use like a shiny finish or smooth plastic can...

Mike Baker 2
03-20-2018, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the video. I think many people end up living with chisel handles they really don't like - or sending great steel down the road because the handles just don't fit.

I have reshaped or replaced several factory chisel handles. There is something rewarding about making handles that fit your hands well.

I have carved a few with a spoke shave or even another chisel in the set...

Don't tell anybody I turned several on my mini metal lathe using steel cutting tool bits to do it... ;)

Oh.. And on finishing them.... Try working them before you finish them. On the advice of a crusty old pattern maker - I tried unfinished handles.. And I like the feel in my hands a whole lot better... They don't slip or slide around in use like a shiny finish or smooth plastic can...

Thanks. I love the feel of raw wood, but it does not wear well. Probably hit them with as thin a coat of shellac or wipe on poly that I can.
And I'm a firm believer in altering tools for your own needs.

Jim Koepke
03-21-2018, 1:17 AM
Looks like an improvement Mike. Having tools with handles made for the hands of the user is a wonderful feeling in the shop.

My main reason for preferring socket chisels is the ease of making my own handles.

Many of mine are unfinished wood. Others have an oil wax blend rubbed on them.

jtk

ken hatch
03-21-2018, 7:23 AM
Mike,

I expect the chisel has a lighter more balanced feel in hand now. Good on you, the handles now have what looks like a comfortable shape.

ken

Mike Baker 2
03-21-2018, 12:36 PM
Mike,

I expect the chisel has a lighter more balanced feel in hand now. Good on you, the handles now have what looks like a comfortable shape.

ken
I finished sanding them to 220 grit this morning. They feel fantastic, and the balance is definitely improved; more toward the center where the handle and shank meet. I can hardly wait to finish them and put them to use.

steven c newman
03-21-2018, 2:17 PM
Must be the way my hands are....haven't felt the need to change/alter those handles....YMMV.

Mike Baker 2
03-21-2018, 2:27 PM
Must be the way my hands are....haven't felt the need to change/alter those handles....YMMV.

If they work for you, they work for you. All I need do is watch one of your threads to see that. :)
I could have continued using them as they were, but for me it was such a simple thing to do, and again, for me, the results were worth the time and effort it took.

Rush Paul
03-21-2018, 3:07 PM
Good for you, Mike! And thanks for sharing the post and video (which I looked at earlier today). Nice job! I will be following your lead to do the same with my Aldi chisels once I get a few more projects checked off my list.