PDA

View Full Version : Disston Handsaws and Bluegrass Hammers

lowell holmes
03-20-2018, 7:01 PM
I was in the shop on this warm sunny day in Galveston County, Texas cleaning hand saws and and hammers.
You may recall Hurricane Harvey paid us a visit last year.

My tools went through the flood. They were not sumerged, but did see a lot of moisture. Rust was breaking out.
Wire wheels, steel wool and pad sanders do a good job of rust removal. I follow up with a coating of Johnson's floor wax.

You may recall from previous posts, I have a collection of Bluegrass hammers and Disston hand saws. I favor a good wood handled hammer and
Disston saws are special. I have 8, 10, 12 and 16 ounce hammers. I have seven Disston saws. They are 8, 10, and 12 tpi saws. rip and cross cut.

I sharpen and set the saws. If you have not done this, I suggest you make or buy a saw vise, and buy a saw set and saw files.
If you can't find a saw set, watch Paul Sellers do it.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrJ3WMmkrFalSMA.7IPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBy MjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=hammer+set+a+carpenter%27s+saw&fr=yhs-pty-pty_email&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_email#id=13&vid=05a69d83b25a5ae8da12ac65a5e73f85&action=view

david beck
03-21-2018, 8:09 AM
Thanks for the link and info lowell. I am just starting rehab on all my old saws and always value good information. Do you feel it is worth it getting a set if pauls technique works? I am only a hobby person so i am only working on my few saws and they dont get as much use as i am sure most do, but i am particular i must admit and i like to do things right but also know how to do it in a pinch. After reading this it may not make sense, sorry but maybe you can tell what i am trying to say.

lowell holmes
03-21-2018, 9:23 AM
I think you would enjoy having a saw set. You can buy one for about $20.
I learned to do it both ways,

As a side light to this conversation, I learned to do hand tool woodworking from Paul Sellers at Homestead Heritage in Waco Texas about twenty years ago.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_email&param2=23a20141-fcf6-4299-89f4-cd972799a611&param3=email_2.2~US~nocache&param4=~Chrome~saw+set+tool&param1=17700101&p=saw+set+tool&type=em_nocache_cr