PDA

View Full Version : G0800 Bed Extension

Roger Chandler
03-19-2018, 6:13 PM
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg1000/g/g0800_det5-2113feb9d4d2ade4c105da77c364d0fb.jpg I have had folks ask about the bed extension configuration and how its situated. This is a pic of the extension mounted on the end and lower than the bed which gives about 40" of capability off the end, or if mounted in line with the main bed can allow 65+ inches of distance between centers in case one wants to turn longer spindles such as bed posts or perhaps a 2 piece porch column, etc.

I am hoping to turn some accent tables with this configuration.

John K Jordan
03-19-2018, 9:35 PM
Wow, 65" between centers, nice! I have a bed extension for the PM3520b mounted even with the ways. If I had too many extra dollars I'd consider buying another one for the other end of the lathe. Or maybe I can justify the cost the next time I need to make a shovel handle for the farm...

JKJ

Roger Chandler
03-19-2018, 10:41 PM
Wow, 65" between centers, nice! I have a bed extension for the PM3520b mounted even with the ways. If I had too many extra dollars I'd consider buying another one for the other end of the lathe. Or maybe I can justify the cost the next time I need to make a shovel handle for the farm...

JKJThe versatility in setup options is one of the things that made me take a second and third look at this particular lathe, John. This beast is really heavy duty....sort of like a super duty 350 vs. a small pickup like a Ranger. The ranger will get you there, but the super duty is built for the load!

Fred Belknap
03-20-2018, 8:05 AM
Roger that sure is a remarkable looking machine. Just a couple questions, can the extension be installed even with the ways without removing the swing away, also what is the triangle shaped thingy on the left end of the ways? It looks like a place to mount something.

Roger Chandler
03-20-2018, 9:02 AM
Roger that sure is a remarkable looking machine. Just a couple questions, can the extension be installed even with the ways without removing the swing away, also what is the triangle shaped thingy on the left end of the ways? It looks like a place to mount something.
I’m not sure on that yet Fred, but wondered the same thing. I am going to check that out when my extension arrives. If the extension has the mounting holes for the hinge, then it will work, but if not, I could carefully drill and tap holes myself for that if I ever felt I wanted to do it.

That triangle is a mounting point for the extension, for some access to the rear of bowls, etc without having to reverse I suppose, but I don’t think I’m likely to use it that way....hard to teach an old dog new tricks sort of thing, I guess.

John K Jordan
03-20-2018, 9:22 AM
The versatility in setup options is one of the things that made me take a seond and third look at this particular lathe, John. This beast is really heavy duty....sort of like a super duty 350 vs. a small pickup like a Ranger. The ranger will get you there, but the super duty is built for the load!

Looks like a hoss.

The PM extension also comes with a tool post riser. When mounted low, like your picture shows, it will supposedly allow turning a 38" blank. We have more platters than we need but I've never thought of turning a small table - . Good idea, that would combine platter turning, spindle turning, and perhaps some carving on the feet. Post photos when you make one!

JKJ

David C. Roseman
03-20-2018, 9:32 AM

JKJ

John, oh yeah! And don't forget manure fork and broom handles! :)

John K Jordan
03-20-2018, 9:55 AM
John, oh yeah! And don't forget manure fork and broom handles! :)

That's the truth! I don't know if you saw this when I posted it before, but here are some examples of the fine art pieces I make with my lathe. I've probably saved $30 so far with the new shop, lathes, and tools. I'll bet my wife will be thrilled to hear that!

I keep dry dry hickory in the barn loft for when the inspiration hits me. You just never know when you're gonna wake up one day and suddenly need a new froe handle.

JKJ

Leo Van Der Loo
03-20-2018, 3:05 PM
What about the tailstock ?? how long is the base and how tall, can it be used on the (outboard) setup ??, or do you have to turn without tailstock support.

Outboard was meant to be “with extension lowered"

Roger Chandler
03-20-2018, 3:10 PM
What about the tailstock ?? how long is the base and how tall, can it be used on the outboard setup ??, or do you have to turn without tailstock support.
20” length on the extension Leo. I would imagine there is enough room for tailstock on platter style turnings...may be bowls not too deep.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-20-2018, 3:15 PM
20” length on the extension Leo. I would imagine there is enough room for tailstock on platter style turnings...may be bowls not too deep.

How long is the tailstock Roger and does it line up with the spindle ??

Ted Baxter
03-20-2018, 4:44 PM
I have this lathe and ext. it is 20" long it comes with the rizer for your tool rest

I keep mine in the lower position as pictured great for turning bowls makes it easier on my back standing it front of the work.

It can be mounted to either end of the bed for the additonal 20' length. Yes you could buy two one on eack end for a total of 88' spindle turning. Mount it on the side for placing the tool post behind large bowls or i guess you could set on it :).

Ted Baxter
03-20-2018, 4:51 PM
I have this lathe and ext. it is 20" long it comes with the rizer for your tool rest

I keep mine in the lower position as pictured great for turning bowls makes it easier on my back standing it front of the work.

It can be mounted to either end of the bed for the additonal 20' length. Yes you could buy two one on eack end for a total of 88' spindle turning. Mount it on the side for placing the tool post

behind large bowls or i guess you could set on it :).

yes the tailstock can be used on the ext. however you can not attach the tailstock swingout on it unless you drilled and taped it.

Chris A Lawrence
03-20-2018, 5:18 PM
I need to stop opening these threads. Now i am contemplating extending my G0766 6 month plan to save up for this one instead.

Roger Chandler
03-20-2018, 5:32 PM
I need to stop opening these threads. Now i am contemplating extending my G0766 6 month plan to save up for this one instead.

Oh My! I apologize! :rolleyes: Really, since I also have the G0766, I can tell you that unless you really want to turn off the end that the G0766 with its 22" swing and 3 hp motor will get the job done! I probably went on overkill with the G0800, but I had my own personal/individual reasons, and as far as most turnings go, I can just as easily get them done with the G0766.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Leo Van Der Loo
03-20-2018, 6:24 PM
I went to the Grizzly website and there seems to be no provision to use their tailstock on the bed extension in the lower position.

I also noted that it says the outboard side (backside spindle) has RH thread on it, seems wrong to me, as the hand wheel would come off, unless there is a grubs screw provision, and how about turning bowls on the lowered extension ??

1” toolrest post seems skinny for a large lathe like that ??

Roger Chandler
03-20-2018, 6:48 PM
Leo, the spindle is standard 1.25"x 8tpi, and the only "outboard" is the sliding of the headstock to the end of the ways. The cone shaped nose on the spindle casting adds a few inches and if you put the chuck or faceplate on, then the headstock can be even further away from the end of the bed, giving more room for the tailstock, if someone desires to use one. If a good hold is had with the faceplate [which has two set screws in it for securing it to the spindle] or a good quality chuck and jaws set, then I think one can safely turn without the tailstock. support.

That being said, I like using tailstock support whenever I can. The quill extends out 5.50 inches fully extended on this model, and it has a bigger diameter than the PM 3520b. The 1" standard steel post on the tool rest seems fairly standard now-a-days for large lathes,[ including the Oneway 2436] on the market, and on my G0766 22/42 lathe, I have not had any issues with toolrest vibration, so I think this is going to be fine.

The banjo on this G0800 is really heavy, as is the tailstock. Lots of beef in the castings. The banjo is much heavier than the outboard Oneway banjo I have for my G0766, which is long enough to allow for 28" diameter turning, if one has a lathe that has that much swing.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-21-2018, 12:02 AM
Leo, the spindle is standard 1.25"x 8tpi, and the only "outboard" is the sliding of the headstock to the end of the ways. The cone shaped nose on the spindle casting adds a few inches and if you put the chuck or faceplate on, then the headstock can be even further away from the end of the bed, giving more room for the tailstock, if someone desires to use one. If a good hold is had with the faceplate [which has two set screws in it for securing it to the spindle] or a good quality chuck and jaws set, then I think one can safely turn without the tailstock. support.

That being said, I like using tailstock support whenever I can. The quill extends out 5.50 inches fully extended on this model, and it has a bigger diameter than the PM 3520b. The 1" standard steel post on the tool rest seems fairly standard now-a-days for large lathes,[ including the Oneway 2436] on the market, and on my G0766 22/42 lathe, I have not had any issues with toolrest vibration, so I think this is going to be fine.

The banjo on this G0800 is really heavy, as is the tailstock. Lots of beef in the castings. The banjo is much heavier than the outboard Oneway banjo I have for my G0766, which is long enough to allow for 28" diameter turning, if one has a lathe that has that much swing.

Outboard was a bad choice of words Roger, I should have said the backside spindle has RH thread according the website info, also I am used to a much heavier toolrest post, and 1” seems pretty thin to me, just IMO.

It is impossible to use the tailstock without a riser under the tailstock, as to use it on the lathe with the extension placed lower than the bed ( to be able to turn larger pieces)

Roger Chandler
03-21-2018, 7:42 AM
Leo, if you look at the pic in the original post, there is a riser for the toolrest. I have Robust rests, that have 1” steel posts. The Robust American Beauty lathe utilizes 1” steel posts for the rests. The Serious SL2542 uses 1” posts. The Oneway 2436 uses 1” posts..... the Powematic 2442 uses a 1” post, and of course this Grizzly 0800. That backside spindle does not exist to turn with. The left side of the headstock has a handwheel not threaded spindle for turning. It does have 3 very large premium sealed bearings on the spindle.

I’m not sure why you find a 1” post flimsy when all these flagship lathes use them? Maybe those engineers who designed those lathes for all those companies actually knew what they were doing? ;)

John K Jordan
03-21-2018, 8:46 AM
Nice clear explanation, Roger. As Brent English says, most 16-25" lathes come with a 1" tool post. Three of my lathes do.

I'm not familiar with any lathes with sliding headstocks that are threaded for turning from the left (back) side of the headstock since it can be moved to the end of the bed or even turned around easily. Many of today's lathe designs have the motor extending to the left which would be in the way, as evident in the photo. This puts the motor shaft very close to the spindle shaft for several engineering advantages.

Leo, if you look at the pic in the original post, there is a riser for the toolrest. I have Robust rests, that have 1” steel posts. The Robust American Beauty lathe utilizes 1” steel posts for the rests. The Serious SL2542 uses 1” posts. The Oneway 2436 uses 1” posts..... the Powematic 2442 uses a 1” post, and of course this Grizzly 0800. That backside spindle does not exist to turn with. The left side of the headstock has a handwheel not threaded spindle for turning. It does have 3 very large premium sealed bearings on the spindle.

I’m not sure why you find a 1” post flimsy when all these flagship lathes use them? Maybe those engineers who designed those lathes for all those companies actually knew what they were doing? ;)

Roger Chandler
03-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Nice clear explanation, Roger. As Brent English says, most 16-25" lathes come with a 1" tool post. Three of my lathes do.

I'm not familiar with any lathes with sliding headstocks that are threaded for turning from the left (back) side of the headstock since it can be moved to the end of the bed or even turned around easily. Many of today's lathe designs have the motor extending to the left which would be in the way, as evident in the photo. This puts the motor shaft very close to the spindle shaft for several engineering advantages.

One caveat John...unless one is as strong as the "Hulk" then it will take two people to turn that headstock around on this lathe! That thing is HEAVY!

Leo Van Der Loo
03-21-2018, 12:13 PM

Roger, I should have said the backside spindle has RH thread according to the website info, also I am used to a much heavier toolrest post, and 1” seems pretty thin to me, just IMO.

It is impossible to use the tailstock without a riser under the tailstock, as to use it on the lathe with the extension placed lower than the bed ( to be able to turn larger pieces)

Maybe I’m out to lunch Roger, I made the toolrest post much thicker on my large lathe, so we leave it be.

The other thing I referred to was the outboard spindle being threaded RH, look at the picture of the info, red lines under it, the hand wheel is on there and it would unscrew if you would slow the lathe down with the hand wheel as is often done.

Yes I saw the riser on the banjo for the toolrest, I was not talking about that, I was saying that there seems to be no riser for under the Tailstock, so that it could be used with the lowered extension.

As with the larger sizes that can be turned there, a tailstock would be wanted by most turners I would think.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-21-2018, 12:25 PM

It can be mounted to either end of the bed for the additonal 20' length. Yes you could buy two one on eack end for a total of 88' spindle turning. Mount it on the side for placing the tool post behind large bowls or i guess you could set on it :).

Can you use the tailstock Ted with the lowered extension ??, as do you have a riser for it ??

Roger Chandler
03-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Leo, there is no need for a riser underneath the tailstock. The riser for the toolrest puts the rest where it needs to be on the extension in relation to the spindle.

I know where the confusion is at...Grizzly sometimes uses "cut & paste" when making manuals and spec sheets. If they make an improvement on a unit, such as the most recent one with the G0766, where they change a spec, they don't always print a new manual or spec sheet, and sometimes they cut & paste and things end up in flux for a period of time till someone points it out to them!

There is no outboard spindle for the G0800 this thread is about, and they must be using the slide the tailstock to the end as the outboard; and I am guessing that the comparison charts had as blank space that some computer template mandated something be put there, so they repeated the inboard dimensions......I've seen it happen before! :)

We're good, no arguments.... I meant none and I'm sure you didn't either. I respect your experience in this turning arena, and appreciate all the good information you bring to the forum! :)

John Keeton
03-21-2018, 3:09 PM
I am kind of with Leo on this - I use the tailstock as much as possible. The Laguna bed extension includes the extension, a riser block for the tailstock, and an extension for the toolrest that fits in the banjo. Perhaps the Grizzly provides these items, as well, but I am not getting that from the posts in this thread.

Is there a riser for the tailstock such that it can be used to support a turning when the headstock is moved to the far end of the lathe and the bed extension is being used for the toolrest?

Leo Van Der Loo
03-21-2018, 5:23 PM
Roger I think you don’t get what I was asking, see the picture here, it is what Oneway makes if you would want to use the inboard tailstock on the outboard setup, and I don’t see one for the G0900.

there is one for the 16” and also for the 24” lathes
382029 382036

Oh BTW the large banjo has 11/2” toolrest posts

Roger Chandler
03-21-2018, 5:29 PM
Is there a riser for the tailstock such that it can be used to support a turning when the headstock is moved to the far end of the lathe and the bed extension is being used for the toolrest?
John [and Leo] I don't see a tailstock riser for this in Grizzly's catalog or on their website. That being said, I wonder if anyone could tell me what the gap in the bed ways of the Laguna Revo 2436 happens to be? If it is the same gap as on the G0800, and if I feel like I need the riser, I could certainly order from Laguna. I might have to put a bug in the tech dept.'s ear about this. Reversing a very large bowl could certainly use tailstock support. I could also use my vacuum chuck for this.......both you guys have got me thinking now! :D

I will say this...that due to the heavy castings and 3 large premium sealed bearings in the Grizzly's headstock, my own personal preference is still the G0800 over the Revo 2436, and the bed extension is a bit beefier as well. I looked inside the headstock at the bearing that shows, and that thing looks as big[er] as a baseball in size, and has rubberized seals that are thick, and is not just some sticker type seal, like I have seen on some bearings, as it actually is machined to sit inside the outer races.

Anyone know what the gap in the Revo 2436 bed is? The Grizzly 0800 is 2.5 inches.

Leo...we were both making our posts at the same time, and when I posted, your latest was there....I get what you are saying, and you are correct in the riser issue for the tailstock. The way the 0800 is now pretty much makes it turning without tailstock support.

Regarding the posts...I checked the Oneway specs for the 2436, and standard is 1", as is the Robust American Beauty. I have heard of no issues with those or several other large lathes that use the 1" toolrest post. Now, the banjo neck where the post hole is......on the G0800 it is really beefy, and has a lot of steel around the post itself.

I really do not forsee any issues with the toolrests......I have done 100 lb. blanks on my G0766 22/42 lathe with the 1" toolrests posts [I have 6 Robust rests] without any problems.

John Keeton
03-21-2018, 6:09 PM
Roger, even if the gap in the ways is the same, I would be interested in knowing that the spindle height was exactly the same even though both are 24” lathes. Even a very slight difference would be a problem.

Roger Chandler
03-21-2018, 6:14 PM
Roger, even if the gap in the ways is the same, I would be interested in knowing that the spindle height was exactly the same even though both are 24” lathes. Even a very slight difference would be a problem.

Correct, John. It also occurred to me that I have several machine shops nearby to my location. If I am of a mind, I might just have a riser machined to my specifications. I probably could have one done for $150 or thereabouts I think. I wonder if an aluminum riser block might be sufficient, or perhaps square tube steel stock with a plate welded on the bottom....that would reduce the weight on the bed extension.

John Keeton
03-21-2018, 6:32 PM
If the ways gap is the same, it might be worth starting with the Laguna and either milling smidge off or adding a smidge with a shim somehow. But, the steel ways on the Laguna may not be the same thickness. Lot of possible variables.

David C. Roseman
03-21-2018, 8:21 PM
That's the truth! I don't know if you saw this when I posted it before, but here are some examples of the fine art pieces I make with my lathe. I've probably saved $30 so far with the new shop, lathes, and tools. I'll bet my wife will be thrilled to hear that!

I keep dry dry hickory in the barn loft for when the inspiration hits me. You just never know when you're gonna wake up one day and suddenly need a new froe handle.

JKJ

Well done! Proving once again what I always say: A good piece of equipment pays for itself the first time it's used! :cool:

Ted Baxter
03-21-2018, 8:22 PM
mine did not come with a rizer for the tailstock that is a good question for Grizzly I have not had a need for one yet so never thought about it. I assume it would not be to hard to make one if needed.

David C. Roseman
03-21-2018, 8:44 PM
I am kind of with Leo on this - I use the tailstock as much as possible. The Laguna bed extension includes the extension, a riser block for the tailstock, and an extension for the toolrest that fits in the banjo. Perhaps the Grizzly provides these items, as well, but I am not getting that from the posts in this thread.

John and Leo, I must be missing something. The Grizzly bed extension is only 20" long. If it's installed in the lower position to maximize swing capacity of the end, would there be any room left for a chuck, the workpiece and the tailstock, even if a tailstock riser were available? From the artwork it doesn't appear so to me. Well, maybe for a faceplate and a thin platter? :confused:

John Keeton
03-21-2018, 9:25 PM
David, I have the Laguna 20” bed extension and have used the tailstock support on platters. I think there would be room for somewhat thicker work, as well.
https://sawmillcreek.org/webkit-fake-url://55a06bbb-47cf-4bc1-89a6-3162bb1036ba/imagejpeg

Clint Bach
03-21-2018, 10:16 PM
David,

you are not required to slide the headstock all the way to the end of the regular ways. You could move it back the distance of the chuck and spindle. Therefore using the full length of the extension.

clint

David C. Roseman
03-21-2018, 10:26 PM
Thanks, John and Clint.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-21-2018, 10:39 PM
John and Leo, I must be missing something. The Grizzly bed extension is only 20" long. If it's installed in the lower position to maximize swing capacity of the end, would there be any room left for a chuck, the workpiece and the tailstock, even if a tailstock riser were available? From the artwork it doesn't appear so to me. Well, maybe for a faceplate and a thin platter? :confused:

David you can move the headstock back just so that the workpiece/bowl just clears the ways, that would give you the maximum space between the tailstock and workpiece, that’s why I asked before what the length of the tailstock is, it would give us some idea if this extension is of any real value for turning big pieces, where tailstock support would be advisable.

Adding here also the size of the toolrest post, I personally did 25 years ago, make my toolrest post much thicker than the regular 1” size, and Oneway also makes the toolrest post thicker in there large banjo.

It is only for when going to turning extra large pieces that there is much heavier loads placed on the toolrest when reaching out to the outside of these pieces, and a thicker post is a good thing, preventing any vibration that could happen with a thinner post

Mike Goetzke
03-22-2018, 9:07 AM
mine did not come with a rizer for the tailstock that is a good question for Grizzly I have not had a need for one yet so never thought about it. I assume it would not be to hard to make one if needed.

Ted - see your PM I have an extra one for a PM3520B if interested. (Posted pic here because would not let me in the PM).

Mike

John Keeton
03-22-2018, 9:19 AM
Mike, I believe what you have is a toolrest extension - not a riser for the tailstock.

Mike Goetzke
03-22-2018, 9:51 AM
Mike, I believe what you have is a toolrest extension - not a riser for the tailstock.

sorry, you are correct, but, if the extension is used at lower level you will need this.

mike

Roger Chandler
03-22-2018, 10:23 AM
Just FYI...I just had a conversation with Grizzly Tech support, and in the conversation we both went to see pics of tailstock risers that are in use by other lathe manufacturers. The information and request I made for Grizzly to provide a tailstock riser for the G0800 will be sent up the chain to decision makers.

I told them that in my opinion, this would complete the system and also is a safety thing as tailstock support is really important, especially as one turns larger pieces. The tech guy said he understood, and will send supporting comments up the chain for consideration by decision makers. Let's keep our fingers crossed! Hopefully, Shiraz or other Grizzly leaders will take this to heart.........he in particular has been so helpful in the past.

John Keeton
03-22-2018, 2:03 PM
Just for what it is worth the gap in the ways of the Laguna Revo 1836 is 1.963” or 50mm. The ways are 10.95mm thick, or .431”. The tailstock riser is 7” tall. I suspect, but don’t know, that all those measurements except the height are the same for the Laguna 2436.

Personally, it would seem difficult to have one made given the need to have a lock down on it and to have sufficient mass to be stable. If modifying a riser from another Mfgr is not feasible, then I would think waiting to see what Grizzly is going to do would be wise.

Mick Fagan
03-22-2018, 6:41 PM
1” toolrest post seems skinny for a large lathe like that ??

I’ve been looking for the last six months at purchasing a larger lathe, one of the things I wondered about was the suitability of 1” tool post shafts for heavy work on a heavy duty lathe.

I have access to Vicmarc lathes that use a 30mm (1.18”) tool post shaft, the difference is there compared to the 1” (25.4mm), they are just more rigid. Mind you, tool post holders on the Vicmarc lathes are also beefier. These Vicmarc lathes have swivel heads.

The most solid feeling lathe I have used is a Vicmarc 300 long bed, solid as a rock. One has the impression that the heavy duty tool post mount is part and parcel of what makes this lathe rock solid, especially when doing initial turning of off balanced material. This Vicmarc lathe doesn’t have a swivel head, it is fixed. This no doubt adds to the rigidity of the whole, which makes life a bit harder in other ways.

Mick.

Roger Chandler
03-22-2018, 7:18 PM
One has the impression that the heavy duty tool post mount is part and parcel of what makes this lathe rock solid, especially when doing initial turning of off balanced material. Mick.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the mount for the toolrest is an important part of the whole of the strength of the system, and for me, this G0800 certainly passes the strength test. You should see the metal on the banjo surrounding the 1" shaft on the toolrest on the G0800! I have a Oneway banjo purchased for my G0766. [ The part number is H0082 Outboard banjo with 1.5 gap for the clamp plate.]

The pure mass of the banjo on the G0800 is a good deal more than the Oneway banjo, which is long enough to accommodate a 28" swing. The Grizz is heavier, more substantial in its casting than the Oneway, and locks down rock solid!

I have turned on both the Robust American Beauty and a Serious SL2542. The banjo on this G0800 is as heavy as any I've turned on, including these and the PM3520b.
https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=317360&d=1436911917

Perhaps I can get a pic or two, and post it ....stay tuned....

382130 382131 382132 As you can see, the mass of this banjo on the G0800 [the black one] exceeds the Oneway banjo, both around the tool post and is also longer, wider and heavier. Both my G0766 22/42 lathe and my G0800 24/48 lathe are considered in the large class of lathes commercially available on today's market. Both have 1" toolpost, and I've not had any issues with vibration on either lathe with the 1" toolrest post. That is my personal experience, and YMMV ;)

Roger Chandler
03-22-2018, 8:41 PM
I mentioned the bearings in the headstock in an earlier post on this thread...to avoid you having to go back and search for the comment, here it is...

I looked inside the headstock at the bearing that shows, and that thing looks as big[er] as a baseball in size,

I got a bit curious about that comment and decided to get the real scoop on that: a baseball is 74.68mm in diameter, and the 6209 series bearing is 85mm outside diameter :D. I thought it looked big! ;) It has two 6209 series and one 6208 series, which has a diameter of 80mm, so all three are bigger than a baseball. The dynamic load is 35.1kn. Per bearing,[whatever that means in lbs.... I’m not sure?]

David C. Roseman
03-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Just for what it is worth the gap in the ways of the Laguna Revo 1836 is 1.963” or 50mm. The ways are 10.95mm thick, or .431”. The tailstock riser is 7” tall. I suspect, but don’t know, that all those measurements except the height are the same for the Laguna 2436.
[snip]

John, interesting. Sure worth measuring width and length of the footprint and top surface of your riser. Roger can then take measurements on his G0800 and report whether it would work without modification on his bed extension, if the 7" height is sufficient.

Far as I can tell, Laguna doesn't offer the 20" bed extension for its Revo 24-36. But since both it and the G0800 (and the very similar Harvey T60, another 24 x 48" monster) are reportedly made by Harvey Industries, Harvey may already have the casting mold at it's foundry. For that matter, maybe the riser could be ordered separately through Laguna.

For my part, I'm still a bit skeptical about how much is really gained by using the tailstock on a 20" bed extension in the lower position.

Roger Chandler
03-23-2018, 12:14 PM
David, I took a look at the Harvey T60 and T50 listings on Google, and did not see a riser block for the tailstock in any of the different vendors websites, but did see the same bed extension. Others seem to turn just fine without the tailstock riser, so I think perhaps using a recess hold turning the bowl/platter to finish on the outside, then doing the inside will be the order, but I am not one who likes to use a recess very much, just platters. I think a vacuum chuck on a very large piece might be iffy on the hold also.

One could start out on the inside of a bowl/platter with a faceplate, then finish the outside with the recess, and then reverse into a chuck, then turn away the inside and the screw holes left from the faceplate. Methods are valid, but not necessarily my personal preference, but anything over 24" is way huge anyway. A table top might be the biggest thing I will attempt anyway.

I will await the response from Grizzly. I will also figure out what I need to do to safely use the extension. I can certainly make a wood riser block and that might not be as convenient, as it would have to be bolted down on the extension, but it is certainly an option! Probably will have a metal one machined for me if Grizzly does not offer one.

Roger Chandler
03-23-2018, 2:42 PM
Got a call from the son of Shiraz Balolia on this matter, so see the other thread...”2 thumbs up ....”. :)

David C. Roseman
03-23-2018, 3:12 PM
That was quick! Good going on the inquiry.

Ted Baxter
03-23-2018, 4:31 PM
382208382208382210Pictures of tailstock & banjo on ext. in lower setting with tape measure base of tailstock is 7" hope this is helpful to the discussion.

Mick Fagan
03-23-2018, 5:05 PM
J

Far as I can tell, Laguna doesn't offer the 20" bed extension for its Revo 24-36. But since both it and the G0800 (and the very similar Harvey T60, another 24 x 48" monster) are reportedly made by Harvey Industries, Harvey may already have the casting mold at it's foundry. For that matter, maybe the riser could be ordered separately through Laguna.

I wondered about this as well, until I got into discussion with the people who import these units into Australia, the answer is, all the accessories for the 18/36 chassis, fit the 24/36 chassis. I know this should be correct, but I'll await until I receive delivery of my Revo 24/36 in July/August later this year. If the 18/36 accessories don't fit my 24/36, life could start to get interesting for the Australian agent as I've ordered the 508mm (20") bed extension kit, which comprises the tail stock riser, among other things.

Meanwhile this is the Australian site for Laguna products and this is the combined 18/36 - 24/36 accessory page.
https://www.gregmach.com/product/laguna-18-36-lathe-accessories/

Mick.