PDA

View Full Version : Largest Known Bay Laurel

Loy Hawes
11-13-2005, 6:22 PM
Not long ago someone commented on here that the largest known Bay Laurel (pepperwood) specimen was in San Leandro. It is actually in a neighboring town called San Lorenzo.My hometown. Needless to say I was surprised to find out this fact.So, I went out and did a little investigating. I found it tucked away behind a greasy hamburger joint and a single story apartment complex. The base of this tree was impressive and more impressive was the pile of drool I left behind. Enjoy!

Travis Stinson
11-13-2005, 7:44 PM
Very impressive Loy! I have tears mixed with my drool.........

Keith Christopher
11-13-2005, 8:20 PM
Holy CRAP !!! Man what a tree !!! you know if that tree could talk the stories it could tell I bet. I would love to have that on my property.

adding to the drool.

Keith

Andy Hoyt
11-13-2005, 8:22 PM
Quick! Somebody go harvest that thing so we can turn a bowl to hold all the drool!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-13-2005, 9:08 PM
I guess I was the error prone reporter who reported on the tree's location. I had heard from several sourcers that it was in San Leandro (I thought) but it could have easily been San Lorenzo and I just heard it wrong. Thanks for the correction. And also thanks for that gorgeous picture. I have used a lot of the California Laurel, called myrtlewood in Oregon, and really like to work it.

Loy Hawes
11-13-2005, 9:41 PM
Don, it is close enough to the San Leandro border that the mistake of thinking it was San Leandro could be made. If it wasn't for you I probably would have never known about this tree. Thank you. I love working with it too. In fact some of the first wood I turned was California Laurel.

Have you heard how old this tree is?

Bill Stevener
11-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Loy, if I had a tree like that in my front yard, I think I would dehydrate.. Yet, I wonder if anyone would really cut down a beautiful thing like that for a bowl or two or three or five thousand.:eek:
Thanks for the nice photos.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Loy Hawes
11-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Bill, I hope it never gets cut down. It is a beautiful thing. However,after every big storm that comes through don't think I won't be checking to see if any limbs came down. :D I did climb into the base and it looks like it has lost a couple of significant ones in the past.