PDA

View Full Version : Calibrated slot mortiser

Livingston Johnston
03-18-2018, 5:02 PM
Does anyone know of a calibrated slot mortiser other than panhans? Id like to pick one up but want a gauge that will tell me height as i adjust the machine. Im tired of the guesswork with my existing mortiser and tenoner

Kevin Jenness
03-18-2018, 6:44 PM
Why don't you add a DRO to your current machine? Accurate Technologies' ProScale line seems to be well regarded.

Livingston Johnston
03-18-2018, 10:33 PM
I dont currently have a slot mortiser. Switching over to loose tenons and want to get a slot mortiser that can be set accuratley and repeatably.

Bryan Cramer
03-18-2018, 11:10 PM
I think Felder makes a dial indicator that fits in the handle for my slot mortiser but it’s in metric units. Over all it’s a great machine and I like it. A digital read out could be rigged for both the height and x/y travel. You could zero the x/y one in the middle of the travel then set the stops for + and - half the mortise length. Or set one stop and zero and measure over the length of the mortise.

Brian Holcombe
03-19-2018, 8:37 AM
I markout all of my mortises, but you can just mark one out one and use it to set the height and stops. A DRO on the height would be useful, even setting between gauge marks invites some level of inaccuracy.

Kevin Jenness
03-19-2018, 9:27 AM
One of the best features of using inserted tenons is that the mating pieces are automatically registered in the z dimension and the location of the mortise in the workpiece thickness is independent of any other joinery (cope/stick, etc.), so I have never felt the need for a vertical readout. Matching mortises and tenons is another story. I will pull out the dial indicator when needed, and I do regularly use it to get my center index mark dead nuts. If you want calibration on the vertical axis then so be it, but I would consider dialing in the side to side movement more important. Bryan's suggestion of adding a DRO to the x axis is a good one.

David Kumm
03-19-2018, 10:17 AM
Steve Smith in CO has a Kolle slot mortiser listed on woodweb. Steve is a stand up guy and Kolle made Martin quality machines. Dave

Rod Sheridan
03-19-2018, 11:48 AM
I think Felder makes a dial indicator that fits in the handle for my slot mortiser but it’s in metric units. Over all it’s a great machine and I like it. .

Hi, The part numbers for the readouts are as follows

Metric 01.1.200, sale price $79.90

Imperial 01.2.200, sale price $119.00

http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/en-US/Planing/Accessories/Adjustment-Devices/Dial-indicator-for-system-handwheels-Sawing-shaping-drill-inch.html?listtype=search&searchparam=01.2.200

Regards, Rod.