PDA

View Full Version : Island

Mike Gregory
11-13-2005, 4:42 PM
Hi all,
I've been reading this site ever since badger pond dried up ... I know that was a long time ago. I don't think I've ever introduced myself on this site and plan to do so when I have a little more time. Right now, I am looking for some quick advice on something though.
We are renovating our kitchen and I am about do put ceramic tile on the floor. As far as the island goes, I have two options - mount fixed or put on heavy duty wheels that lock out. I am looking for pro's and con's for either decision. Please let me know if you can think of reasons to support either decision.
To keep this post related to WW, I've attached some pic's of the fake, yes fake wood ceiling (Armstrong) with the molding I made to finish the job. I had to make about 120' of this molding but the wife really came through helping me handle the 16' pieces. It is made from hard maple and cherry (stained red mahoghany). Purchasing it in oak would have cost about 4 times what it cost me to make it - not to mention it wouldn't have matched the rest of the room which is maple.

Thanks for any help you can offer on the island,
Mike Gregory

Jim Becker
11-13-2005, 4:54 PM
Mike, when I made our island (http://sawsndust.com/p-kitchen-island.htm) a few years ago, I chose to make it mobile with four HD double-locking casters. (Our kitchen door is the main entrance to the house and having the island able to move is the only way we can bring large things into the house) Although we don't normally move it around, that utility has been convenient a couple of times on special occasions. (Please note that the pictures of the island in the above link are pre-kitchen renovation--the island actually became the prototype for the rest of the cabinetry)

Jim Young
11-13-2005, 4:56 PM
Personally, I don't see the need to move my island. Let me restate, we have a fixed position island and have never wished we could move it. We also have electrical in our island so movement would not work.

Dave Richards
11-13-2005, 4:58 PM
Mike, what you posted looks great. You do excellent work.

Regarding your island, since the tile isn't down yet, I would say fix the island in place. Do you anticipate moving the island? If not, there's little point in putting wheels under it. You could add electricity easily although I suppose you could put an outlet in the floor and plug the island in. If you do that, find a waterproof cover for the outlet incase the island is ever removed.

Mike Gregory
11-13-2005, 5:33 PM
I need to clairify. I should be able to get all the appliances in with the island being fixed, but things will be tight. The fridge will require using a dolly to get it in place in the right orientation, but again, there is room to do this. I was just thinking if the island were removable, a lot of stuff might be easier. Still looking for any further reasons to go either direction.

Thanks,
Mike

Steve Clardy
11-13-2005, 6:16 PM
I've built and installed a lot of islands along with my kitchen cabinet jobs.
I have yet to attach one to the floor. Usually they are large enough they won't move anywhere.
I had one that moved. It was a small island, 2x2 box, with top that overhung 12" on all four sides. It was sitting on ceramic tile, and would move when leaned on heavily. Velcro attached to the bottom cabinet stopped the sliding.

Bob Noles
11-13-2005, 6:25 PM
Mike,

We are looking at remodeling our kitchen in the very near future in this 100+ year old house. We currently have a fixed island in the center and I can assure you that the next one will be mobile like Jim Becker's.

Electrical connections in the floor will be no problem for a mobile unit if done right.