PDA

View Full Version : Netflix

Rich Konopka
11-13-2005, 4:07 PM
I have been a Netflix subscriber for 6 years and could never say enough good things about the service. However, I have recently had MANY issues on returned movies not being checked in for 3-4 days and the turnaround has been dismal.

I have tried reaching them but there is no such thing as customer service. They only have a suggestion link which is not responded to. I am wondering if anyone else has these issues? anyone know of a customer service number?

Nick Adams
11-14-2005, 9:27 AM
Netflix even built its own customer-support software a few years ago. The new system has a simple interface that gives reps a quick read on when DVDs were shipped or received. As part of a recent upgrade, 10 senior reps will get alerts that ask them to look into how a customer call might have been prevented. At times, reps will be prompted to call the customer back and interview him or her.
Hastings brags that during Netflix's early days, it had 115,000 customers and 100 support reps. Today, the company has 3.2 million customers; their questions are handled by just 43 reps. "You read a lot about outsourcing of customer support--send it to India, save $3," he says. "That's totally uninteresting to us. We're focused on higher leverage--avoiding issues and fixing them at their root cause."
That ratio is impressive, to be sure, but the fact that Netflix's customer-support number is deeply buried on the site certainly keeps those numbers down. (Can't find it? It's 888-NETFLIX.) That's one of a few glaring flaws in Netflix's experience--having to dig for a company's phone number on its Web site feels so 1997. Hastings doesn't agree. "It hits the right balance of customer satisfaction and cost," he says.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/99/open_customer-netflix.html

Article is from 99. I am not a member but thought I would try to help. I would highly doubt that if they started in 97 and this was in 2005 that Netflix would have changed its service number.

Stuart Johnson
11-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I've only been a netflix member for a little over a year. We would stick returns in our mailbox on Monday have them received on Tuesday and have replacements on Thursday. In the last two months it has not been unusual for them to not acknowledge receipt until Wed. or Thur. and on more than once the replacements or maybe two out of three to not be received until Sat. or Monday. Many times there is a two day lag between the email saying they received a movie and when they mail out the next.

Scott Coffelt
11-14-2005, 11:16 AM
I've had the service for about 3 months, so far they have been pretty consistent. We have a distribution location in KC, so it's usually only a day difference. I had one say they sent it out that took 4 days to arrive, but I never can count on the USPS for being fast either.

The only thing I can say that seems to be an issue lately is the number of movies with short or long wait times has increased, that said I have 90+ movies in cue so I am not lacking a choice at this point in time. Heck, I have had CRASH for about 3 weeks so far, just never seem to get time to watch it.

So far I am happy with the service, especially over what I was used to and that was Blockbuster. They never had what i wanted to watch in stock.

Rich Konopka
11-14-2005, 3:04 PM
First Time I wrote them I got this response:

Dear Netflix User,

We appreciate your recent feedback about the Netflix service. Due to
the overwhelming number of great ideas we get from customers such as
yourself, we cannot reply to every customer individually. However,
all comments and suggestions are forwarded to the appropriate
departments for review and consideration.

If you have a question you need answered right away, please visit
our online Help Center at http://www.netflix.com/Help. It covers a
wide variety of commonly asked questions.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Netflix makes every effort to
maintain its site and strives to give its customers the best DVD
experience possible.

Sincerely,
Your Friends at Netflix

The second time I did a google site search and I think I found the customer service.

The response I got:

Greetings,

http://www.netflix.com/RegistrationUpdate

Thank you for contacting Netflix Customer Service. We will personally reply to your message as quickly as possible. Please do not reply to this email unless pertinent information was missing from your original message. Duplicate correspondence may delay our ability to respond to your inquiry.

Did you know that you can check your order status and history directly
through the Your Account link located at the top of each page?

http://www.netflix.com/YourAccount

Also, if you have additional Customer Service questions, please check our Help Center at

http://www.netflix.com/Help

Again, thank you for contacting Netflix Customer Service.

Sincerely,
The Netflix Team

Ughhhhhh

I'll try the 888-netflix

Roger Bell
11-15-2005, 9:39 PM
We have had Netflix (the eight "out" at a time deal) for about four years as well. We live in a rural area and have no reasonably local entertainment options other than DVD/video rentals (no cable, poor tv reception, mountainous terrain/no satellite options, no close city). We have found the service, for the most part, to be pretty good and generally improving with time. We are now close (30-40 miles) to a Netflix distribution center, so that might account for some of it. Prior to establishment of that center, turnaround wasn't nearly as good. I sure hope that your experience does not potend a trend.

Jim Becker
11-15-2005, 10:32 PM
There is an article on MSNBC.com about Netflix and a recent class-action settlement related to this issue. One comment in the article is that it appears that folks who rent "a lot" are seeing the slowdowns and folks (like us) who are slow pokes to watch get lightning fast turn around.

Rich Konopka
11-16-2005, 2:34 PM
Well Now. I did finally get a response and here's what they had to say:

Hello Rich,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please be assured that Netflix delivery delays are very uncommon. If you're experiencing repeated delays with returning DVDs, we would suggest mailing them from a different location.

You may report any difficulties with shipments using the Report Shipping Problem page.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
xxxxxx,
Netflix Customer Service .

I drop them off at the Post office so I guess I can always bring right to Netflix. :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
11-18-2005, 6:51 PM
I like 'em alot...been using them for about 2 years now. I, too, noticed a slow-down several months ago and complained about it. Delivery turnaround went back to the normal 1-2 days. :)

Rich Konopka
11-24-2005, 9:46 AM
I guess it is not my imagination. I have done some checking and asked work colleagues, friends, family, and neighbors about their experience with Netflix which mirrors my experience.

Netflix instituted a policy called "Throttling" as where the more DVD's you view the more they throttle up the turnaround time. (more info on throttling (http://www.manuelsweb.com/netflix.htm))

I am amazed because they really are destroying their reputation. I use to rave about Netflix and I have now come to a complete 180 and I'm ranting. It appears that I'm not the only person who feels this way.

It has seriously ticked me off to where I have already signed up for Blockbuster and have already gotten DVD's much quicker. (e'll see how long that lasts :rolleyes:) In addition, Blockbuster gives me 2 e-coupons which are redeemable for free movie rentals at my local BB.

Andrew Ault
11-24-2005, 11:44 AM
We just got NetFlix. So far, it's been great.

My BIL has the Blockbuster version. They give him alot of coupons and stuff, which he likes.

Jerry Olexa
11-24-2005, 11:44 AM
We've had good service but are not what you'd call"heavy users"...

Doug Jones
11-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Could also be that you are starting to feel the "Holiday" shipping effects as well. My turn around time has also been a bit slower, like I said though, I am contributing it to the holiday mailings. I'll see if it changes after the first of the year.

***A helpful tip***
Every now and then I get movies with a return label going to FL, CA, WY, GA, PA. Since I live in Indiana I find it quite a bother shipping to the other states when there is a distrabution centerin in Indianapolis. So what I do is when I receive a return envelope to an out of state distrabution center, I'll slip two movies into one return envelope going to Indy. I have found that this also has helped with the longer turn around periods. Plus it doesn't hurt to have an extra return envelope laying around on those rare occasions when the USPS hasn't been kind to the one just received.
Hope this helps someone.

PS....
I am always looking for friends to share movies with,,, add me to your friends section (if you want to)
dougj6939@yahoo.com