PDA

View Full Version : Mail in Saw Sharpening Service

orren countin
03-17-2018, 5:24 PM
Circular saw sharpening.......Its gotten expensive here in Orange County, Calif to have my blades sharpened. Do you know of places in OC that are reasonable or a mail in service? I found familyhardware.com (http://familyhardware.com/) ..have you ever used them?

Lee Schierer
03-17-2018, 5:44 PM
The Freud website has a feature that lets you search for blade sharpening companies by state. (http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/sharpening)

Nick Decker
03-17-2018, 6:16 PM
Dynamic Saw in NY. I have two blades there right now, $8.50 per blade for a 40 tooth blade. The shipping is actually more than the sharpening, in my case, probably a bit more for you in Calif.

Chris Fairbanks
03-18-2018, 12:52 AM
Orren, living outside of San Francisco I know the feeling on everything being expensive. I wanted to second Nicks recommendation on Dynamic Saw. Quick service, reasonable price and super sharp blades. I had a few questions before I sent off a bunch of blades and they were super helpful on the phone and answered all of them. Good luck.

Robyn Horton
03-18-2018, 9:15 AM
I live close enough to Dynamic to drop my blades off . They have always done a Great job at a very reasonable price .

orren countin
03-18-2018, 9:32 AM
Thank you. Ill look into Dynamic. What did it cost you for shipping from San Francisco?

Dan Cameron
03-18-2018, 12:56 PM
I recommend Anderson Saw in Hawthorne, Ca.

orren countin
03-18-2018, 7:12 PM
The Freud website has a feature that lets you search for blade sharpening companies by state. (http://www.freudtools.com/index.php/sharpening)

Good tip. When checking the only offer 2 shops in all of California. I guess they have to especially certified by Freud.

Bruce Wrenn
03-18-2018, 8:56 PM
Thank you. Ill look into Dynamic. What did it cost you for shipping from San Francisco?The current price of a large flat rate box from the post office. With the flat rate box, your blades will be there in 2-3 business days. Unfortunately Dynamic return ships using UPS, which means over a week to your location.

Bill McNiel
03-18-2018, 9:37 PM
Thank you. Ill look into Dynamic. What did it cost you for shipping from San Francisco?

Orren,
When my local sharpener retired I sent a couple of blades to Dynamic, the result was superior to any previous experience. I now regularly send them my blades and Jointer/Planner knives. Please accept this as the highest recommendation I can give to a business.
Regards - Bill

CPeter James
03-18-2018, 9:48 PM
They aren't cheap, but they do an excellent job- Ridge Carbide in NJ. Also, their blades are really great, better than some of the more highly advertised brands, one of which is also in NJ. I send a whole bunch in one medium sized flat rate Priority mail box.
CPeter

Scott Bernstein
03-19-2018, 9:25 AM
Here's a second recommendation for Ridge Carbide in New Jersey. I have tried Freud and Forrest blades and they very good, but are not even close to the Ridge Carbide blades in quality. They do a great job sharpening their own blades and other brands as well. Recently I was looking to make very large mortises and tenons on my Hybrid Pantorouter. I couldn't find a straight cut or spiral 3" long 3/4" cutting diameter plunge-cut router bit (looked for end mills, too)...so I had Ridge Carbide make me one. In about 3 days I got back a huge monster of a bit that works great.

John Blazy
03-19-2018, 5:04 PM
Order a 400 or 600 grit diamond blade from North Jersey Diamond Wheel co, or similar company. Mount the diamond wheel in your T-saw and sharpen your own carbide blades by making my jig below and honing the inside faces of each tooth. I can do a 60 tooth blade in about a minute and half. I haven't sent blades out to be sharpened since 2002 when I happened upon a few of these diamond wheels, then made the sliding 5/8" DIA centering base that has magnetic hold down onto cast iron T-saw top. You can adjust for any hook angle, as all blades have perpendicular face grind. I even sharpen my negative hook XL4000 blades with it, and get zero bottom tearout on melamines, veneer ply etc.