PDA

View Full Version : The incredible shrinking bowl....

Michael Stafford
11-13-2005, 4:01 PM
There is a sad story associated with this bowl. It got smaller the more I tried to fix it. Jim Ketron gave me this piece of walnut at Dick Parr's picnic. I roughed it green, soaked it in alcohol and wrapped it in paper just like I was supposed to. A couple of months later I took it out of the paper and to my dismay there was all kinds of ring shake in the bowl. It was literally falling apart at the annular rings. Jim and I discussed it and he said throw it out, "Not worth the risk to try and save it."

I did not listen and I pared it down from its original 10 1/2" diameter to 8" and from 3 3/4" to 2" tall. It is a pretty piece of wood to me but it would have been so much better in its original size.

Carole Valentine
11-13-2005, 6:41 PM
Ring shake is nasty stuff, but it sure looks like you made a great save! A pretty 8" bowl is a lot better than no bowl at all.:D

John Hart
11-13-2005, 6:55 PM
Glad you didn't listen Mike. Because you know what it was supposed to be...you're probably biased. From my point of view, it's a gorgeous piece...just like it was supposed to be. Love that walnut!!

Jim Ketron
11-13-2005, 7:45 PM
Great save Mike!
Glad you got a nice bowl out of a bad blank.
Love the colors of this one I can see why you wanted to save it!

Travis Stinson
11-13-2005, 7:57 PM
I love Walnut Mike, and this one is no exception. Wonderful form and color.:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-13-2005, 8:19 PM
Well Mike.........................You just PROVED what I say about Wood. "It knows what it wants to be; all we do is help it display its beauty."

That IS a Beauty!

Bruce

Keith Burns
11-14-2005, 8:26 AM
I have to agree with Bruce on this one. It turned out great. It shows that you should never give up on a piece of wood. Great save !:)

Jerry Clark
11-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Great bowl Mike-- glad you saved it!:D