PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Turned Box

Michael Stafford
11-13-2005, 3:51 PM
Here is a little curly maple box that I started before I injured myself on KP duty. It was chucked up for over a week before I could finish it. At 2 3/8" in diameter and 2 3/4" tall it is a small box. Chris Barton asked me a while back how thick were the sides of my boxes. I was unable to give him a definitive answer but this one is thin!!!! Take a look at the picture where a toothpick is laying over the body of the box. Pretty thin, eh?

tod evans
11-13-2005, 4:08 PM
nice job! thin is a bugger! tod

Shelley Bolster
11-13-2005, 5:14 PM
Beautiful box Mike.....as always! :) Being so thin, is there a risk of crushing it if someone is a over-zealous in opening it? It appears very delicate. Is this the thinnest you have achieved so far?

Michael Stafford
11-13-2005, 6:18 PM
The lid does not fit so tightly as to be a problem. It has a nice suction fit. Just feel the vacuum but not extremely tight. Yep, this is the thinnest one I have turned. Jim Ketron's steady helped in this operation!;)

John Hart
11-13-2005, 6:52 PM
Holy Schmoly! That is THIN!!! It'd scare me to death. Very nice job Mike!!:) :)

Travis Stinson
11-13-2005, 7:33 PM
That's a beauty Mike! I'll bet the thinness gives it a nice ring if you tap it.:)

Jim Ketron
11-13-2005, 8:04 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Now thats Thin!
awesome job Big Mike!
Glad the steady is doing its job.
Now If I can just find the time to make myself one:o

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-13-2005, 8:13 PM
Back to the "drawing board"........Lathe for me. Now THAT IS THIN!!!! and Small, too!

Nice job.

Bruce

Bill Stevener
11-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Very, very nice Mike,
One can see that you keep a keen edge on your tools.
Great looking work, really reflects your talents.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Mark Singer
11-14-2005, 12:07 AM
Michael...the grain matches and all.....thin, beautiful and you can keep stuff in it....that is, if you have stuff

Dennis Daudelin
11-14-2005, 5:59 AM
Hello Mike,

That's a really thin box! I've often wondered which tools would be best to use in making such a thin box. Most boxes that I've made were cut with a spindle gouge and then touched up with a scraper. But to make one this thin, I'm at a loss...

Please share with us your technique!!

Thanks,

Dennis

Michael Stafford
11-14-2005, 6:30 AM
Dennis, that is exactly how I turn my boxes as well. I hollow with a fingernail ground spindle gouge and then touch up with a scraper as needed. The sides are not touched with the scraper as there is too much possibility of chatter. The scrapers just remove any ripples in the end grain. I follow the procedure outlined by Richard Raffan in his book on Turned Boxes. As my technique has improved I have been able to start sanding with 150, 180 or even 220 grit paper depending on the wood. This particular piece of maple cut very cleanly and was easy to sand.

Thank you all for the nice comments. I appreciate them.

Chris Barton
11-14-2005, 7:55 AM
Hey Mike,

As always, your work looks great!

Keith Burns
11-14-2005, 8:14 AM
Another winner for sure! I like the simplicity and thinness of this piece. You do make nice boxes. I swear I'm going to do one someday.

Kurt Aebi
11-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Nice Box - Big Mike!

Wow, how thin you got those sides - Wow The Box Master Strikes Again!!:D

John Miliunas
11-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Awwww, piece 'o cake! I could make one that thin! Of course, it would be in about 30 pieces after I blew it up but.....:rolleyes: Way cool, Mike! Judging by all of your pieces, one would think you're pretty serious about this whole spinny thing!:D Well done and I really love that Curly, as well! Nice job.:) :cool: