PDA

View Full Version : wood moisture in tropical climate

Filip Winiewicz
03-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Hi. I'm going to import some live edge to a tropical country. The 2 inch thick wood was seasoned for 2 years. Now I'm wondering if it should be still kiln dried to lower levels ? At the moment humidity at my home is 78% and its not unusual. I can make it lower with dehumidifier but its will take only a moment to get back to that. But there might be cases where people use aircon a lot at home or other who keep it outdoor and I'm not sure what might be the optimum moisture level for wood here. Does anyone have experience with that? I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!

ernest dubois
03-16-2018, 2:28 PM
You cannot dial in a moisture content for wood and then seal it in at some pre-figured quantity. That wood wherever it's from will acclimate to the new condition of wherever it is, now and in the future. Wood is hygroscopic. You must design your construction to accommodate all anticipated climactic conditions or be ready to accept the consequences.

Jamie Buxton
03-17-2018, 12:32 AM
Do you have access to a meter which measures lumber EMC? If so, measure the EMC of any piece of wood which has been in your house for years. Eventually your new wood is going to get to that EMC too. Ideally, the new wood would be dried to that level before you make furniture with it.

John C Cox
03-21-2018, 4:21 PM
Check the wood import/export regulations for that country.... You may be required to sanitize the wood against bugs and fungus... They typically remove all the bark and kiln dry the wood in a facility that can certify it for export - it will then be stamped... And then you can ship it out... If you don't - it will all get quarantined.