PDA

View Full Version : Resawing and some bandsaw accessories.

Sam Blasco
11-13-2005, 1:30 PM
This shows veneers being cut for the shrine, right from bandsaw to glue up. You can also see my resaw fence screwed to the fence. Fence was resawed, that way it is always parallel to the blade, and then veneered front and back for some stability. Then you'll see my - log/quarter sawing/attaching different jigs to - sled. It is modified from the one I made for my old, no longer in the shop, cabinet saw, and based on Jim Toplin's table saw accessories.

lloyd morris
11-13-2005, 1:41 PM
Sam,

Excellent photos. Thanks for posting them. Can you explain a little more about the second photo from the left in top row? Also how large a piece of wood can you resaw with the log/quartering sawing attachment jig?

Thanks,

lloyd morris

Mike Cutler
11-13-2005, 8:43 PM
Hey Sam. Nice setup ya' got there. I really like that tall fence.

I'd be interested to see how that "log" sawing attachment works. Maybe a couple of pics in a series. Always good to know a few more tricks.;)

Roy Wall
11-13-2005, 8:47 PM
Nice work there Sam!!! Thanks for the tutorial........

what type/size of blade is that........and ......can one blade "do it all"....???

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2005, 8:54 PM
Nice setup Sam. I would also like to see the log jig in action. I do cut logs but the one I have is not working that well.

Sam Blasco
11-13-2005, 8:56 PM
second photo in just shows a veneer just after it has been cut. I always take my veneers between the fence and blade, more consistent and much quicker, like a meat slicer.

For the sled, when doing logs I screw the log to the sled, block and wedge where necessary, slice one side flat, put the flat face down, block and wedge again, slice another side, then I have one square corner to work from and a straight fence is good enough. My old bandsaw only has 13" of resaw height, not like those new fangled saws, so max log would be about 12" with sled. With my other sled, one that rides in the miter slot, logs can be considerably larger because I am only slicing the outside of the radius.

Sam Blasco
11-13-2005, 9:05 PM
Nice work there Sam!!! Thanks for the tutorial........

what type/size of blade is that........and ......can one blade "do it all"....???

That's a 1" carbide on there, best for dry hardwoods. If I was cutting logs, usually pretty green, then it would be a 1" 2 TPI to keep from clogging. I'd be wasting the advantages of carbide on wet wood, plus with logs, you never know what you might find inside, even with a metal detector. Instead of saying there is one blade that could do it all, I would be more inclined to saying there is a blade for every task. For me, the 1" carbide is used 80% of the time, because of the type of work I usually do, which is usually dimensioning dry hardwoods.

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2005, 9:15 PM
Thanks Sam I appreciate it. I like the looks of the jig for log resaw. So will be doing some planning and building.