PDA

View Full Version : Wood choice question?

Mike Cary
03-14-2018, 6:13 PM
I've got what I thought was a pretty good workbench. But now that I've switched to mostly hand tools I'm finding it wanting. There just isn't a stable enough base. I think the top is fine, pretty standard, laminated maple 1.75 inch thick. Hold down work fine in it, if I need more mass or deeper holes I can just put some mdf under it. I'm thinking about building a bigger base with bigger legs and a sliding dead man. (I need better holding). I also have to build a moxon vise before I get to cutting some dovetails on my current project.

I went to the wood store today. I live in Montana so don't have a thrombo if I quote prices. Wood is not cheap here. They had a pallet of 8/4 ash that they rarely have, and it was $1 a bd foot cheaper than hard maple.

Finally the question, do you find ash and maple interchangeable or is one $1 a bd ft better?

Hasin Haroon
03-14-2018, 7:37 PM
Mike, either is fine. Pine and Doug Fir are also fine. Softwoods will show wear a bit easier but are plenty rigid.

Mike Cary
03-14-2018, 9:13 PM
Mike, either is fine. Pine and Doug Fir are also fine. Softwoods will show wear a bit easier but are plenty rigid.

Thanks Hasin, I agree Doug Fir, even Hem fir would be fine for a base. Inexpensive hardwoods like Alder or Poplar would work too. I'm more concerned about adding some mass. Hard maple and ash are heavy. I also need to make a moxon vise. I'll probably use the same for both.

Bob Leistner
03-14-2018, 9:56 PM
If you angle the legs to around 15 degrees, your bench will be very stable. I used spruce and have never had any problems with it. I use my bench just about everyday and would say I average a good 20-30 hours a week. Make good tight joinery and it'll last for years.

Phil Mueller
03-15-2018, 7:24 AM
There’s no problem mixing woods. Given you want weight, ash would be fine. My bench is made from pine. But to add some durability, the outside boards of the top and legs are hard maple. The deadman runner that it slides on is also maple, as is the leg vise chop.

Also, while a moxon vise is nice to raise the pieces for sawing, it is not by anymeans necessary for dovetail work. I have a moxon, but I use the bench vise just as often, if not more for dovetails.

Mike Cary
03-15-2018, 9:45 AM
There’s no problem mixing woods. Given you want weight, ash would be fine. My bench is made from pine. But to add some durability, the outside boards of the top and legs are hard maple. The deadman runner that it slides on is also maple, as is the leg vise chop.

Also, while a moxon vise is nice to raise the pieces for sawing, it is not by anymeans necessary for dovetail work. I have a moxon, but I use the bench vise just as often, if not more for dovetails.

My vises are poor, I need an eventual upgrade. I have the hardware already for a Moxon vise so it’s an obvious choice right now.