PDA

View Full Version : Check you mallets

Jay Knoll
11-13-2005, 1:11 PM
Hi everyone

I"m building a David Marks bench and instead of making a jig and buying a top guided router bit I thought I'd chop out the two mortises by hand. Boy am I out of practice!

Any way, I'm pounding away when all of a sudden a little round disk rolls off the workpiece onto the floor. What is that I muse as I hit the chisel again and watch a piece of lead fly out of the end of the mallet and hit the floor.

Well, no harm no foul (except for a piece of paint chipped out of the concrete floor.

So, check those mallets! Mine was made by the Good Wood Company, bought it at Woodcraft. Green plastic cover around the maple body.

Not a big deal to fix, get the quick setting epoxy, load up the hole, drop the lead back in, smear some on the disk, tap it home, clean up the overflow, throw the gloves away and go to SMC to write this post while it cures.

Back to the shop

Jay

Mark Stutz
11-13-2005, 8:45 PM
Jay, what do you mean by a "David Marks" bench? Dark wood? Trestle style? or the end vice?

Jay Knoll
11-13-2005, 9:35 PM
Mark

It is a contemporary bench, here is the link to the DIY Net

http://diynet.com/diy/shows_wwk/episode/0,2046,DIY_14350_26927,00.html

I've got the bases built, am sheathing them in copper, the top is rough cut and, obviously, I am working on the mortises.

Road trip this week, got to work so no shop time

Jay

Mark Stutz
11-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Jay,
I thought you meant WORK bench!:o I've seen that episode. Are you doing the chenical patination as well? Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Mark

Jay Knoll
11-14-2005, 12:40 AM
Mark

Yep, going to do the copper patina, but maybe not his "recipe", kind of hard to get chemicals in this small town.

I will post when it is done!

Jay