PDA

View Full Version : Chisel Shrine

Sam Blasco
11-13-2005, 1:09 PM
I haven't had much time to post lately, so today I'll post this and some related threads. This box started off as a simple storage cabinet to demonstrate different proceedures at one of my seminars, and some of the other parts were made at different times and different classes. I do hate to waste things so I started putting all the parts together. No real plan or drawings even, just let happen what will... My wife has labeled it "The Chisel Shrine" because it was orginally just going to be for some hand tool storage, replacing my red metal roll around so I could take that home to the garage. This is where I'm at with it so far. Not sure what will crown it, what you see there is waste from the apron radius cut. I'm thinking it will be something sculpted after gluing more of the waste cuts to it. The mock up below I'm thinking will eventually mimic the cabinet above and be "imbilically" connected to the mother ship, so to speak. If it ever gets completed, I'll post a link to a slideshow that shows the whole process. Hope you enjoy, design possibilities' comments welcome.

Bob Noles
11-13-2005, 1:26 PM
Sam,

Nice project and looks like you have a lot of fun with it. Show that design possibilities are endless with a little imagine.

Love to see more when you get it completed.

Dennis McDonaugh
11-13-2005, 1:32 PM
Nice looking cabinet Sam, Looks vaguely viking to me, probably the horn thing. A very suitable home for your tools.

Dan Forman
11-13-2005, 3:38 PM
Looks great Sam. You never told us of you Norwegian heritage!

Walnut and cherry? Love the panels.

Dan

Mike Vermeil
11-13-2005, 3:40 PM
Really cool. I always enjoy the unique designs shared here on SMC.

Great work!

Jim Becker
11-13-2005, 5:04 PM
Now, that's REALLLY kewel, Sam!!! A "studio tool storage" accomodation! LOL! Very kewel.

Sam Blasco
11-13-2005, 9:22 PM
Walnut and Lyptus. Second project I used Lyptus on and I like working with it very much. Dense, hard, machines well and a wide range of color. Not to mention sustained forestry. I never told anyone my middle name is Sven? ~;}..

Paul B. Cresti
11-13-2005, 9:34 PM
Sam,
very nice. I love the flowing lines that bring a humanistic feeling to the piece. I will go against my better judgement here and make an input on design. I really like how you grounded the piece with the change of materials/orientation and bun feet? at the bottom. I think it would only further acentuate the beautiful design by also coming up with a similar type application at the top. Maybe you could use walnut rails that are scribed into the two vertical curvilinear styles at each end and then cap off with a thin piece of Lyptus. Just a thought.....:confused:

Pete Harbin
11-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Really nice Sam! I really like the detail of that bottom panel with the stripe of walnut inlaid with the vertical grain orientation. Those door panels look fantastic too!

Pete