View Full Version : 40 Fruits on one tree

andrew whicker
03-13-2018, 1:32 AM
This is an old project, but I just came across it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_40_Fruit

Interesting project.

Larry Edgerton
03-13-2018, 6:08 AM
I have wanted to do one of those, even bought the book that all the orchards use, but just have not had the time. Very cool

I would be limited to what I could use as I am in a colder zone. No peaches, cherries, some apples. Thirty miles to the west yes, but not here. I was just going to do three kinds of apples for starters.

andrew whicker
03-13-2018, 11:58 AM
One of those, if I had another lifetime things. Plants in general are very cool. In my next life, I'm going to be a landscaper.

Jim Becker
03-13-2018, 1:33 PM
I remember seeing that or something similar awhile back. It's truly interesting how nature allows multiple fruit tree types to be grafted successfully like that, whether just a few or a whole bunch on one tree.

Larry Edgerton
03-13-2018, 5:13 PM
One of those, if I had another lifetime things. Plants in general are very cool. In my next life, I'm going to be a landscaper.

Exactly. I am 61, so it changes the way you look at things, plus less energy.......

andrew whicker
03-13-2018, 6:16 PM
My friend wants to help me graft, so we're going to give it a shot!

I used to date a landscape architect, so I have my pick of apple trees to graft to my crab apple tree. She said there's a pink blooming crab apple (mine is white). Also would like to try an actual edible apple tree graft

Dave Richards
03-13-2018, 8:21 PM
When I was growing up the neighbor behind us had an apple tree with three different varieties of apples. It was cool to see it full of fruit with the different colors of apples.

Perry Hilbert Jr
03-15-2018, 6:18 AM
when I was just a tyke, mt grandmother had a collection of post cards from her travels around the country. In the main center of town of some burg in Florida, there was a multi fruit citrus tree, which according to the post card was the ":Damn if I know" tree.

Of course even annual vegetable plants can be grafted. There is a potato on the bottom, tomato on top plant available from some mail order houses. Nearly all fruit trees are sturdy root stock with the desired fruit trunk grafted to the stump and roots.