PDA

View Full Version : Splay leg Table

Mike K
11-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Hello all,

I normally do not post much around here but I just completed a project and thought I would share it. Have not had much time for WWing this summer due to a broken foot. But I am better now, just in time to close the shop for the winter (no heat).
This is the splay leg table that appeared in FWW a couple issues ago. The legs and trim are walnut, the rails are mahoganny, and the top is cherry. Just made this from the woods in the scrap bin. The finsh is General Finished Arm-R-Seal gloss.
Mike Keating

John Miliunas
11-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Nice table, Mike! I've yet to do something with splayed legs like that, though I can appreciate the skill which goes into a project like that. :) Hope I'm not being too forward here but, I took the liberty of brightening up your pic a little bit to help bring out some of the detail on it. Hope that's OK by you.:)

Also, although I see your real name displayed in your sig, the TOS of the Creek requires members to sign in by full name. If you just send Jackie Outten a short email with that info to change your member name, she'll take care of that for you at her earliest opportunity.:)

In the meantime, again, very nice job on the table! Keep 'em coming!!!:) :cool:

Chris Barton
11-13-2005, 3:22 PM
Nice table and elegantly done.

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2005, 3:30 PM
That is one nice looking table. Beautifully done. Love the combination of the woods.

Dennis McDonaugh
11-13-2005, 3:32 PM
Nice table Mike. Its hard to see in the picture, do the legs splay from their junction with the apron, or do they splay out at the ends of the legs?

Mike K
11-13-2005, 4:46 PM
Hello all,

John:
Thanks for fixing the picture a bit I appreciate it and the kind words.

Dennis:
The leg splay the entire length of the leg. Starting at about 1 and 1/2 inches at the top and going down to a shade over 5/8 squared at the bottom.

Mike

Jim Becker
11-13-2005, 4:49 PM
Very nice table, Mike. I love designs like this.

BTW, was in your neighborhood last nite dining with Alan Turner and his lovely.

Mike K
11-13-2005, 5:57 PM
Hey Jim,

Alan is a great guy. I took a woodworking class he taught at the beginning of the year and he taught me to cut dovetails. It was great. I am waiting for his studio to open and I can take some of the classes that he is going to be offering there.

Mike

Jim Becker
11-13-2005, 6:05 PM
HI am waiting for his studio to open and I can take some of the classes that he is going to be offering there.

"Soon", Mike, "Soon"... ;)

Tyler Howell
11-13-2005, 6:35 PM
You need to post more of your work Mike! We can learn a lot from you.
Thanks for sharing.;)

Jason Tuinstra
11-14-2005, 1:54 PM
Mike, great job on the table. I built one of these a few months ago and I know that Donnie Raines built a couple as well. They're a lot of fun to build aren't they? Thanks for showing it off.