PDA

View Full Version : Simple relief carving, some trips and tricks

Kees Heiden
03-12-2018, 5:39 AM
Like I showed in my previous post (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?262968-A-little-bit-of-woodworking!), I am working on some simple relief carving patterns. While it might look utterly unattainable, it is in fact very simple. I am a total beginner, probably wil be forever, but still, here are a few small tricks I found to make the work a little easier. If anyone has other ideas, please add them to this thread!

A short video to make things more understandable:

https://youtu.be/Rhb1uIvCeE0

At first I had great trouble to make nice flowing circular shapes with the V-gouge. Most came out very blocky. A simple trick to improve this is to rest your wrist on the wood and use that like the fulcrum point.

I press down hard with the pinky side of my hand palm on the gouge to controll the forward motion. Yes this is painfull on a V-gouge! Time to grow some harder skin.

I lower the gouge a little when going along the grain, because it cuts a lot easier the across the grain. This helps to cut to an even depth. Hard to see in the vid because I still wobble up and down a lot in an effort to control the damn thing!

I learned to relax my grip on the mallet! First I was gripping it like hell, but holding it more relaxed makes you less tired and improves the work. I also relax my grip on the gouge as much as possible while still holding it down hard enough. That's more a matter of balance.

I see that I give very shallow hits with the mallet, maybe I'll hit it harder when I become more confident.

Hope you enjoy this.

Frederick Skelly
03-12-2018, 6:36 AM
Thanks Kees!

Jim Koepke
03-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Good stuff Kees, thanks.

jtk

Kees Heiden
03-12-2018, 1:28 PM
Today I was working on the long rail, which gets a continuous row of arcs. I am struggling a lot more on those! Which shows that I am hardly an expert on this stuff. I post because I am so enthousiastic about this kind of work.

Luckilly it doesn't need to be perfect, when I look at the kind of material that inspires me. I don't know what this guy was drinking when he made this, but I hope his customer was pretty drunk too when he recieved it!

Gerald Schram
03-12-2018, 4:53 PM
Kees are you using green wood? i've seen peter follansbee on the wood wright shop make a chest like that one, pretty sure he said he carved it when the wood was green. jerry

Kees Heiden
03-13-2018, 3:57 AM
Kees are you using green wood? i've seen peter follansbee on the wood wright shop make a chest like that one, pretty sure he said he carved it when the wood was green. jerry

No I didn't have the oportunity to work with green wood, and with the "speed" I work on these projects it would long be dry now. I use cherry which is a nice carving wood and not so hard.