PDA

View Full Version : Keith, please consider....

Ken Garlock
02-18-2003, 11:03 PM
I first posted this on the power tool forum and then thought that it really belonged over here, so here it is:

First off Keith, I want to congratulate you and your team for the super effort you all have made it making this forum user friendly. You know what business you are in - customer service.

I would like to suggest a minor enhancement to the page format. I find the tiny page numbers at the bottom right of the page hard to point and click. My suggestion is the addition of a "back/forward" or "previous/next" button pair just below the current page information. I would make the buttons as tall as your "go" button and twice as wide. I can't speak for others, but it surely would enhance my browsing pleasure.

What do you other members think? :confused:

Keith Outten
02-19-2003, 12:26 AM
Ken,

I agree, the buttons could be a little larger and some of the text links would be better as buttons. Aaron has already suggested that we make some design changes and use a different color scheme, I would like to dump the purple and gray for a two tone tan and white. This is on our list of things to do, we will need to redesign every button and graphic on the board so it will take some time.

Thanks,

Mike King, Sherwood Pk., AB
02-19-2003, 12:33 AM
One teeny thing.. Can you put the login/logout buttons at the top of each forum?

Aaron Koehl
02-19-2003, 12:49 AM
Just a as a note:

The server will automatically log you out after 30
minutes of inactivity-

- Aaron

Joe Suelter
02-19-2003, 12:47 PM
Keith & company...I've gotta say you guys are making huge strides with this site. My hats off to you (and I don't take my hat off, except for sleeping--gettin' a little thin on top!)

While we're on the subject of needed improvements, I've got one that maybe you could help me with. If I respond to a post, I have to hit the back button on my browser three, maybe four times to get back to the main screen (forum). I don't know if there's something I'm missing, If I use the jump button to go back to the Forum I was just at, I have to scroll down through all the posts that I've already read. Just seems a little frustrating, but not a huge problem. Is there an easier way to go back to the forums without hitting the back button so many times, or without going back to the forum index? I hope this makes sense, and I am in no way telling you how to run your site, just a question!!!

Thank you so much for this great site, I love it here!

By the way, do you have a web site with the pictures of your laser engravings? I wanted to show LOML some of the different things you are capable of. Thanks

Ken Garlock
02-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Thanks Keith. I should have known that you were already on top of it....

Ken Salisbury
02-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Joe Suelter
Keith & company...I've gotta say you guys are making huge strides with this site. My hats off to you (and I don't take my hat off, except for sleeping--gettin' a little thin on top!)

While we're on the subject of needed improvements, I've got one that maybe you could help me with. If I respond to a post, I have to hit the back button on my browser three, maybe four times to get back to the main screen (forum). I don't know if there's something I'm missing, If I use the jump button to go back to the Forum I was just at, I have to scroll down through all the posts that I've already read. Just seems a little frustrating, but not a huge problem. Is there an easier way to go back to the forums without hitting the back button so many times, or without going back to the forum index? I hope this makes sense, and I am in no way telling you how to run your site, just a question!!!

Thank you so much for this great site, I love it here!

By the way, do you have a web site with the pictures of your laser engravings? I wanted to show LOML some of the different things you are capable of. Thanks

You have to wait a specified time between posting messages. Instead of hitting the back button when you are done posting, go to the top of the page, click on Sawmill Creek or whatever forum button is there and then you can go to a forum immediately

Keith Outten
02-19-2003, 8:05 PM
Joe,

Love to run my laser :) I have about thirty pictures ready to put on my web site but haven't been able to find the time. Several months worth of work and some new things I'm doing with wrought iron.

Last month I bought a copy of ShopSite E-Commerce software for my web site and had to start rebuilding the whole site again. After I get the content like I want it Aaron will be doing a total redesign of my site, it needs a lot of work but time is the problem. This is the chicken and the egg deal, you have to build it to get the pictures and everyone wants to see something different. My laser will engrave wood, glass, leather, paper, plastic, marble, mirrors, stainless steel, aluminum, coated brass, ...you get the picture. After a year of engraving I have come to realize that It is almost impossible to put together a brochure that will cover all of the possibilities. As I do custom work mostly I have resigned myself to be patient and I'll get something together some day.

Today I started another cabinet for York County Schools, tonight I'm engraving a wedding announcement on a mirror. Last week I made two wrought iron mailbox stands. And all the time I have been working here at "The Creek" as much as possible. Man I love to work, just can't get enough and I having a great time.

Let me know if there is something special you want to see and I'll dig through my picture archives. I have been working on a new line of very nice boxes with laser cut box joints and plenty of nice graphics, I make them from walnut, african mahogany, cherry and clear acrylic and I just got a simular drwaing to make music boxes.

I have one project to finish this weekend, a photograph of a house. The plaque I made is alder, 12" by 24" and I had to borrow a professional digital camera to get a full size picture to engrave. This is a very expensive house on the York River so the picture has to be perfect. My niece loaned me a Canon Pro camera, each picture is 37 meg in file size, and 30" by 40" physical size. Awesome! I want one of these cameras.

Note to all -
Look at the bottom of every message, if there is a little www button that is a direct link to that persons web site.

Ron Jones near Indy
02-19-2003, 8:24 PM
where will we find your website?

Joe Suelter
02-19-2003, 9:05 PM
Ron, under the member's section is where I found it. Here's a link to it:

http://www.workshoptreasures.com/

Joe Suelter
02-19-2003, 9:18 PM
Keith, I'd love to see the wedding announcement on the mirror. I checked out your site, those acrylic boxes are fantastic! Very elegant looking. I'd like to possibly have something done, on a mirror. Would I supply you with the mirror and ship it to you? How does that work? Turn around time? This will be a possible anniversary present on September 11 (yup, that'll be our 4 year anniversary--good day, huh?). I know that at Badger Pond, Wayne didn't allow us to talk about pricing & this kind of stuff in a post, but LOML & I share an E-mail address, and that would spoil everything!!!! Could you maybe send me a Private Message about this? Unless of course you don't mind displaying it here as a post! Oh yeah, the picture size would be 8.5x11". How detailed do the pic's turn out? Sorry to barrage you with a million questions about this, but this is fascinating!! Thanks so much.