PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Than Expected?

Jim Koepke
03-11-2018, 8:39 PM
The write up on these two items from Lee Valley did mention small.

The on-line hand model for the router plane seems to have fingers a bit smaller than mine:

However the router works fine and will be very useful when installing small hinges and some other tasks. BTW, the miniature router plane is about $14 less than the small router plane. The miniature router comes with a 1/8" blade the small router comes with a 1/4" blade. It appears either one of them only has a single blade available.

The small square got a workout yesterday and today marking tenons on a project. While it was being used, my mind kept thinking about making a rosewood or black walnut casing to enclose the square and make it easier for my fumbling arthritic hands to hold.

jtk

Phil Mueller
03-11-2018, 8:51 PM
I have their miniature block plane. I bought it when I wanted to make a few small boxes. Works really well on delicate tasks. I can see where the mini router could come in handy from time to time.

Dave Zellers
03-11-2018, 9:36 PM
Recently I purchased the Lee Valley miniature shoulder plane.

Even though I was completely aware of how small it would be, I was not prepared for how small it was. :D

After a momentary WTF moment, my next reaction was, COOL!

Fully functional. A fun minor splurge. It will absolutely positively be used in a serious way.

James Pallas
03-11-2018, 9:38 PM
Jim, I bought the small square to help me in my quest to get better at making full blind(secret) dovetails. It works fine but I also have arthritis in the thumbs so its size can be problematic. It's hard to get a palm grip on it. The little router plane is a cute little devil but would disappear on a palm grip.
Jim

Jim Koepke
03-12-2018, 2:36 AM
After a momentary WTF moment, my next reaction was, COOL!

Yep. :confused::cool:

jtk