PDA

View Full Version : eBay and ECE planes

ken hatch
03-11-2018, 6:49 PM
eBay can still work but the noise to signal ratio is high and I think getting higher. That said the other day I found a hidden prince among the frogs. A little back story.

ECE traditional planes are one of the true bargains in the wood working world. For either ECE Smoother or Jack Highland Woodworking asks $110 USD. With either you get a plane with a good iron and cap iron that is usable right out of the box. Used Stanley's approach that price point and they will many times need work and a new iron or cap iron to put 'em to work. Some time ago ECE went from the traditional "eared" escapement to a crosspin type escapement. I have both types and in truth both work well but from an aesthetic point I like the eared escapement.

Cut to the chase: While looking on eBay for Marple chisels and fillister planes I came across a "eared" ECE Smoothing plane that appeared NOS with the iron still in the wapper and in a box for about half the price of a new plane from Highland. It arrived the other day and it was NOS, every once in a while eBay works.

After sharpening the iron and on a small hunk of pine:

The differences between the ECE Smoother and the Jack are small. The Jack is a couple of silly mm's longer, so little unless they are side by side you would not notice and the Smoother's iron is bedded at 50 degrees vs. the Jack iron at 45 degrees. With a second iron the Jack could fill both functions.

Both planes side by side showing the difference between the "new" escapement and the old traditional "eared" one:

ken

Kevin Hampshire
03-12-2018, 1:07 AM
Good story. I haven’t been to ePay for several years but have heard planes have become quite dear to sellers.

Been wanting to try the ECE planes. Sorry to hear about the change in construction. The traditional continental design is part of what attracts me to them.

ken hatch
03-12-2018, 4:18 AM
Good story. I haven’t been to ePay for several years but have heard planes have become quite dear to sellers.

Been wanting to try the ECE planes. Sorry to hear about the change in construction. The traditional continental design is part of what attracts me to them.

Kevin,

I look but seldom buy and yes it seems prices have gone up.

Don't be too put off by the crosspin planes, functionally I can't tell the difference. They just don't tickle my visual G-spot as much as the traditional ones.

ken

Bill Houghton
03-12-2018, 1:11 PM
Left-handed folk should be aware that - at least at one time - the builders of these continental plane designs, I believe including ECE, made the horn on the front in right- and left-handed versions. I find it uncomfortable to hold an ECE plane with a right-handed horn, although I suppose I could just use it right-handed, although that would violate the oath taken by all us sinister folk concerning right-handed tools.

If you're a leftie, (a) ask before buying, and (b) watch for a leftie plane (if seller is smart enough to know), because the price will likely be lower

Philipp Jaindl
03-12-2018, 3:47 PM
These planes are a bit more difficult to setup then the UK/US Metal planes but once you get the hang of it its no problem at all. They all work really really well thats why 99% of Planes are/were made like that here in Europe, also prefer the lower weight.

German plane terminology can seem a bit confusing for some the only difference is having a cap iron or not, but i doubt thats really gonna be an issue for the english speaking folks.