PDA

View Full Version : Bench vise jaws.... hardwood or softwood?

Brian Hale
11-13-2005, 8:38 AM
Just got the 10.5" Anant vise installed and need some jaws. Which is better? I've got some pine, poplar, ash and oak.

Thanks!!

Brian :)

Andy Hoyt
11-13-2005, 9:09 AM
Hey Brian.

I'd tell you, but not until you tell us what you did about the bench top first.

Brian Hale
11-13-2005, 9:24 AM
LOL! :D
OK
k Andy........ I decided to assemble it using just the all thread, (6) 3' lengths of 1/2-13, no glue or splines. It came out pretty flat and rock solid! A bit of sanding and BLO and I'm calling it done.

Now, give up the secret!! :p

Brian

Steve Wargo
11-13-2005, 9:36 AM
I use Mahogany. Mostly because it is what I work with the most, and have tons of scraps. Also it is my belief that the faces of the vise shoulde be no harder than the material that it's holding. That way there is no chance of damaging the work piece. just my $.02

Brian Hale
11-13-2005, 10:04 AM
WOW, those are the worst pics i've ever posted.... :o

Steve, that's kinda what i was thinking. I do mostly hard woods like oak and birch so perhaps the pine or poplar are the best choice.

Andy Hoyt
11-13-2005, 10:10 AM
No big secret. Use whatever piece of scrap you have lying around that fits.:cool:

Seriously, Steve is right. Softwood. I first used two pieces of cherry scrap, but that occasionally marred the workpiece. I now use pine and every once in a while I have to replace it because I've somehow mangled it trying to hold some oddly shaped thing, or spilled urethane glue over all them, or set them afire while grinding a chunk of steel, and so forth.

I actually have two bench vises; and on one I installed some pine that stands about four inches taller than the top of the vise. I use this in conjunction with other jigs to hold pieces that have been partially turned and not easy to clamp any other way.

BTW - Nice Bench! And the photos are okay in my book.

Jim Becker
11-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Brian, I happened to use Maple, both because I had it and because it matched my benchtop. (One of those anal things...) But the experts make a good point about a softer species being less likely to mar the project surfaces.

BTW, that vice of yours really has some capacity! Wow!

Alan Tolchinsky
11-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Wow, that capacity is amazing! I've never seen anything like it before. Be careful your bench doesn't tip over on you when it's fully extended. :) I would go with maple for the vise because it will last longer if you're going to bang on it for different jobs. I guess it depends on what you'll be doing with it.

Mark Singer
11-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Maple or beech ...I use a strip of PSA sandpaper on the jaws...about 120 grit....I am always shaping an odd shaped object and that is a great help for holding.

Brian Hale
11-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Well, i went with some 1" thick pine from the scrap bin. I extended the jaws about 3" on either side of the jaws for a bit of added capacity. Have to see how i like it, if not, i've got a good size scrap bin :rolleyes:

BTW, the vise has a max open capacity of 15" but the wood jaws reduced that to ~13.5". Not the highest quality out there i'm sure but for $142 delivered it's a great deal. Much better than the $7 dollar vise i had from the borg.

Mark, i like the sandpaper idea! I'm gonna try that, thanks!

tod evans
11-13-2005, 11:42 AM
nice vice brian! here`s an idea; i use baltic jaws held in place with rare earth magnets and 1/8 cork glued to the face, when i tear them up i reuse the magnets so the ply and cork amount to pennies plus no tools required for removal. tod