PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use "dressing sticks" on their CBN wheels?

Dan Forman
03-11-2018, 3:34 PM
Apparently these will deglaze diamond and CBN wheels, anyone tried them (or something like them)?

Dan

John King
03-11-2018, 4:14 PM
Define "dressing stick." - John

Brice Rogers
03-11-2018, 4:47 PM
I use a dresser on cheap (non-diamond and non-CBN) abrasive wheels occasionally to keep them flat. I use mineral oil on my diamond files to keep them clean and to eliminate them loading up. Diamond and CBN shouldn't be "dressed" as they stay flat.

Dan Forman
03-11-2018, 4:51 PM
Ooops, forgot to include the link... Norton Dressing Stick: For Diamond / CBN Grinding Wheels, 6 in Overall Lg, 1/2 in Overall Wd, 1/2 in Overall Ht, White - Gamut (https://www.gamut.com/p/norton-dressing-stick-for-diamond-cbn-grinding-wheels-6-in-overall-lg-Nzk0MTA=)

Apparently they can deglaze - get out any accumulated debris from between the CBN grit, allowing them to cut better.

Dan

Reed Gray
03-11-2018, 8:13 PM
The first CBN wheels I had, 3 or so years before D Way came out with theirs, was an aluminum hub with 1/4 inch of a matrix of CBN and a bonding agent which was put on the hub, a far cry from the electroplated wheels of today. Woodcraft had a similar diamond wheel for a year or two. These would load up and need to be cleaned. The maker gave me some scraps of a very hard white aluminum oxide wheels to apply to the wheels. It helped some. I believe I tried them on my electroplated wheels and the only thing I noticed was that it put a lot of dust into the air. I may have to dig out the set of CBN wheels I just retired and see if it makes a difference. Most of the time, I put a little lapping fluid on the bevels of my tools before I sharpen.

robo hippy

allen thunem
03-16-2018, 2:32 PM
I use one of the gum rubber cleaning sticks for belt sanders. works great

Dan Forman
03-17-2018, 1:49 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Allen - do you notice a buildup on your wheels? Do they cut better after cleaning?

Dan

allen thunem
03-17-2018, 6:53 PM
not noticed any build up from the rubber dressing stick
not really paid a lot of attention to how they cut after cleaning. just being pre-emptive in doing maintenance on them. not even sure they really need cleaning.