PDA

View Full Version : How to apply flocking?

Jim Knauss
11-13-2005, 7:40 AM
Can any of you box makers out there give me a quick coarse in Flocking? Last time I did it was 40 years ago in shop class on my lovely bookends:) Then I think we just shellaced the bottom and set it in a pile of Flocking material and let dry. Will that work or should I use something other than shellac?

Thanks for any help, (God knows I need it)
Jim Knauss

Richard Wolf
11-13-2005, 8:11 AM
The product you want to use is made buy Donjer. (Don & Jerry). They sell a economy kit with a small card board blow kit that should fit your needs.
Quote from my school shop days "If you can't finish it, flock it."
www.donjer.com/

Richard

Bob Tate
11-13-2005, 9:27 AM
Donjer makes their own glue/paint. It is sold to match the flocking. Sure, you can use other adhesives. I like theirs, it helps to cover any bare spots or thin spots with the same color. Just paint it on, blow flocking on with the cardboard thingy, wait 24 hours, vacuum it off.
We do about a dozen boxes a week, the entire inside. works really well for us. Woodcraft has all the stuff.

Bob

Jim Becker
11-13-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm not in the shop, so I can't check the "brand", but the flocking I bought from Rockler for a project a friend asked me to do had a color-coordinated adhesive/paint that was brushed on and then the flocking was...um, flocked...using this cardboard tube thingie. The one thing that was evident was that the flocking surface was only as even as the adhesive application under it was, so painting it on is not something to do haphazardly. Get it on smooth and without streaks.

Russ Massery
11-13-2005, 11:17 AM
I didn't some small boxs a couple year ago for christmas presents. It's easy to apply.The only thing found was you need to put two coats of the adhesive on. It soaks in the the wood not leaving enough to hold the flocking. I imagine you seal it with some dewaxed shellac first. I think the brand you used Jim the Donjer also I got mine from Rockler also.

Jim Knauss
11-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the replies all, Ill check with Rockler for adhesive.
Jim Knauss

lou sansone
11-13-2005, 1:11 PM
I didn't some small boxs a couple year ago for christmas presents. It's easy to apply.The only thing found was you need to put two coats of the adhesive on. It soaks in the the wood not leaving enough to hold the flocking. I imagine you seal it with some dewaxed shellac first. I think the brand you used Jim the Donjer also I got mine from Rockler also.

What I have found is that first give a good coat of sealer like shellac and then a good single coat of the adheasive works very good
lou

Ellen Benkin
11-13-2005, 1:13 PM
The "Free Form Furniture" (I think it's in TLC) person used flocking on one of her shows. She painted the space a color to match the flocking, let that dry, and used regular wood glue. She emphasized that it was very important to get the glue on all the surfaces you want flocked or you'd have bare spots. She did show a very expensive and a relatively inexpensive "gun" for flocking.

John Miliunas
11-13-2005, 1:36 PM
I've used the kit with the tube with very favorable results. In case you haven't figured it out already, be sure to very carefully mask off areas NOT intended for flocking with some blue tape! I usually over-mask then trim to fit with an exacto. Works great and in the grand scheme of things, actually speeds up the process by not having to be quite so careful with the color/glue application.:) Another "tip" is, if it's a small enough project, rig yourself up a "spray booth". I just use a plain old cardboard box and lay some wax paper inside. Once dry and before vacuuming off the final residue, shake off the excess on to the paper and funnel it back into the bag of flock. The stuff is a bit on the expensive side, so no point in wasting. :D :cool: