PDA

View Full Version : Interesting SMC trend - long time members getting active again

Frederick Skelly
03-11-2018, 1:02 PM
I always notice posts by people who aren't "regulars" - their names, their location (if listed), when they joined SMC and their number of posts. Not that any of that matters - it's just something that draws my eye for a moment.

Lately, I've noticed a BUNCH of posts by people I don't recall seeing before. And I'm seeing that a large percentage of "new" posters are folks that have actually been members for years and are now posting again, sharing their knowledge.

There's nothing really earth shattering about it - just something I noticed and that I'm personally glad to see. Welcome back folks!

Fred

W Craig Wilson
03-12-2018, 8:45 PM
Thanks for noticing.
My recent retirement has allowed me to re-engage several favorite activities, including sawdust production. My current main focus is skill building on the lathe.

Frederick Skelly
03-12-2018, 9:00 PM
Thanks for noticing.
My recent retirement has allowed me to re-engage several favorite activities, including sawdust production. My current main focus is skill building on the lathe.

Welcome back Craig. And congrats on your retirement Sir!
Fred

Jim Becker
03-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Welcome to the recently retired and making more chips and shavings club, Craig!

Bill Carey
03-12-2018, 11:08 PM
I tried to retire but got a work at home offer that was too good to pass up. But it works cuz my office is above the shop and when the moron count reaches a certain level I go down and make sawdust. My great grandma daughter calls it man glitter. And it's fun to be active here. I posted pics of my shop on the show your shop thread.

Steve Clardy
03-14-2018, 3:19 PM
I always notice posts by people who aren't "regulars" - their names, their location (if listed), when they joined SMC and their number of posts. Not that any of that matters - it's just something that draws my eye for a moment.

Lately, I've noticed a BUNCH of posts by people I don't recall seeing before. And I'm seeing that a large percentage of "new" posters are folks that have actually been members for years and are now posting again, sharing their knowledge.

There's nothing really earth shattering about it - just something I noticed and that I'm personally glad to see. Welcome back folks!

Fred

Boink!! Hey who's the newbie posting about us old posters??? :D

Frederick Skelly
03-14-2018, 6:21 PM

You got me on # of posts and year ya joined. Glad you're back active Steve.

W Craig Wilson
03-14-2018, 6:35 PM
...man glitter...
I love it! Need to steal this for my neat-freak g'daughter.

Lee DeRaud
03-20-2018, 8:25 PM
Boink!! Hey who's the newbie posting about us old posters??? :DWho you callin' "old", Clardy? :)
Been here all along, but tend to hide out in the laser forums.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-20-2018, 8:34 PM
I, too, am glad to see some of the old timers posting!

Dave Zellers
03-20-2018, 10:07 PM
I, too, am glad to see some of the old timers posting!

Geeze Louise! Talk about old posters! :eek:

Joe Mioux
03-21-2018, 1:33 AM
Creekers come

Creekers go

Creekers come back.

I think it happens with a lot of forums.

Dennis Peacock
03-21-2018, 11:56 AM

Clardy...!!!!!! Where've you been!!!??????

Carlos Alvarez
03-21-2018, 1:12 PM
I'm one of those (although I had to create a new account, couldn't log into the old one and it was registered with an e-mail I no longer have access to). Not sure why I stopped doing much on wood forums for a while, even though I was still making stuff. I guess I was at a point where I knew the things I needed to know for what I was doing. During a shop make-over and new DC system, I decided to come back.

Bruce Page
03-21-2018, 7:29 PM
Creekers come

Creekers go

Creekers come back.

I think it happens with a lot of forums.

Hey Joe! I don't see your name very often, how have you been?

Steve Clardy
03-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Well looks like the multi-quoting is gone/ evaped, so...........

HI Lee
HI Ken
HI Joe
HI Dennis

I've been trying to retire this last 2 years, staying at home, hanging out.

Joe Mioux
03-23-2018, 4:43 AM
Hi Bruce, Business, family, etc happened. IOW, i kind of detoured into other activities.

My oldest kid is graduating in May with a Masters in Architecture. He has been doing a fair amount of woodworking for some of his design classes. He sort of re-focused my interests again to woodworking. How have you been?

Joe Mioux
03-23-2018, 4:45 AM
Hi Mr Clardy.

Jim Becker
03-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Well looks like the multi-quoting is gone/ evaped, so...........

It's alive and well...'just click on the little computer screen looking thingie with the plus sign at the bottom, right of each post you want to multi-quote. :)

And it's good to see you, Steve!

Steve Clardy
03-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Hi Mr Clardy.

Hi back Mr. Mioux

It's alive and well...'just click on the little computer screen looking thingie with the plus sign at the bottom, right of each post you want to multi-quote. :)

And it's good to see you, Steve!

Ahhhh....I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other. :rolleyes:

Whatz up Jim....

Bruce Page
03-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Hi Bruce, Business, family, etc happened. IOW, i kind of detoured into other activities.

My oldest kid is graduating in May with a Masters in Architecture. He has been doing a fair amount of woodworking for some of his design classes. He sort of re-focused my interests again to woodworking. How have you been?

I'm doing well. I retired a few years ago and bought myself a CNC to play with. I haven't been building much else. Glad to hear you & yours are doing well!

Jim Becker
03-23-2018, 5:18 PM
Whatz up Jim....

"Same stuff, different day, bigger pile". :) :D Seriously, I retired from full time employment last fall and am working to monetize my shop to supplement my retirement income until I start to take SS in about 6 years. I'm about to add a CNC machine to the fold and that will broaden things from the equestrian tack storage commissions I was already taking, etc. All is well, my friend!

Mike Cutler
03-25-2018, 9:20 AM
"Same stuff, different day, bigger pile". :) :D Seriously, I retired from full time employment last fall and am working to monetize my shop to supplement my retirement income until I start to take SS in about 6 years. I'm about to add a CNC machine to the fold and that will broaden things from the equestrian tack storage commissions I was already taking, etc. All is well, my friend!

All right! those tack trunks were my retirement plan. ;)

On a more serious note, I'd love to see your designs. I've been playing around with an upright, bow front, "wardrobe" design, on and off for a few years. It would be on wheels the lock.The biggest hurdle to overcome is weight. I think if I ever get serious, I'll just use some aircraft grade sitka spruce plywood, with a veneer over it.
The trunks I've seen are pretty "basic". Just a box made out of plywood, stapled together.
Most of the folks I've talked to want a design that doesn't encourage people to sit on their trunks. I guess that's a problem.

Jim Becker
03-25-2018, 9:59 AM
Mike, I haven't done any of the "locker type" as they are not popular in this area, but would probably use the same construction methods as I have for the "regular" trunk-type-trunks. :) Some have an additional drawer unit under them. I'm using road-case type handles as standard now. My construction method is 1/2" veneer plywood with 1/4" thick solid stock trim and 3/4" solid for the lid aprons. I'm thinking about some ways to add features and enhancements with the CNC, too. Here are a few examples of previous work and there are a bunch of threads here at SMC on these things over the years:

https://ur0xeg-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y4mHHq_CbLM3iUCu00mblc0Fav2CIsQ_NvnrH9-6SuXzN2_8CKmQIDLAu9nKQ1Tniq5AgQ6hiPEsFgTehEricMrB_ 8yTzl_n27Dv9ilFY5TyBHeXOEGPyhx2X-4PrYLfKS9pkg8vQdAuTJNuJdZJ_aVyxyfw3Shfm-RZLtGTg4p7lpOQY2lVV7j5uw9CPs_XvXQDh6GFUplRHzCeuDJK CB8Gw?width=500&height=486&cropmode=none

https://ub2wnq-sn3302.files.1drv.com/y4mbBErhLX4pccucBFkmdu81i5wS1MqjUNn8RCscol0TqljMDw o-5N3YeeJ8Z2iaCeJGn8IIAIEGt4vqZQ-Kqzr26j09omaL9rBgfbW7QWQQXkbCEqyvG13IwoNrNLrQnyL7A U2UrVTtE0g3pMzBxPhXiUdim1E6mnKkAJlUIw6_JQc1yYUa3dI zu-n4l_x94iVLyGs0vnGOmoBrnrlns4XOw?width=418&height=600&cropmode=none

https://t73mhg.bn.files.1drv.com/y4mDdqwoHD1JjlF6amJyyHlkP8PgT9vyhZwH14pDYjK0yy56fq _nImabTD-Y5jZtOduZLtuuMWm-K5TM1hv5b50U77MIk1vFXrSLNNR8DDR34ytfVVh5KiDV8PaGKE qk6VG_NeVlmM4lNgyKAbZFXpEQq-GWjm6TrLlV-I1VvjfoIdVCTvMSVrQ5ilfNuLauZELDLY-PllU9nsff065NxVAcA?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none

This is my personal trunk...which lives in the house now because the farm we have Elvis at has lockers and doesn't permit trunks. Cherry, of course. :D And that embedded drawer was a bit of work with the trim!

https://tb0xeg.bn.files.1drv.com/y4mObKwdGeRgvK6DSioo_uU1XnDpLjFSKfgn7CQeHEw8yg2wI6 I6Y7VPxjy1ppKKiaxc2y_IUeLLdw7Ym6FXLrqbV2CLYcP-OqDS-zb3CZpXXuOHrMoAzCTIH5Jz-ea70VnTHcLBGPXcaMnLbo49wzgDHEN0fxmJNB717IzTj6SuXsL S7g9igBtJKyHoA8cQoER7EBhvgvgqcUwm_PET7_X9g?width=6 60&height=495&cropmode=none

I generally get between $800 and $1500 per unit as these are all custom build and designed for the particular client.

Mike Cutler
03-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Jim

Very nice!!
I saw a few at the Equine Affair that were nowhere near this nice, and they were asking close to your lower level. That Rubbermaid plastic trunk is $200.00.

I made a tool box many ago and forgot to dado the inside for the bottom. It kicked around the house and garage for a few years and then my wife appropriated it as her "tack trunk". I keep telling her that I'll make her a nicer one, but she likes that one.

Once again.
Nice work

PS
I can't see any of your trunks post 2010. It gives a 3rd party photo hosting error message.

Jim Becker
03-25-2018, 4:14 PM
PS
I can't see any of your trunks post 2010. It gives a 3rd party photo hosting error message.
Weird...they are all from the same place. (Microsoft 365) I'll send you something privately that you should be able to get to.