PDA

View Full Version : New Steady Rest

Ted Reischl
03-10-2018, 2:52 PM
I have a Delta 1460 that was built in 1946, it can turn a 12 inch diameter piece. Unless that piece is long, then chatter becomes an issue.

Up until now I used a steady rest I made that would handle about 8 inches. My latest project is a segmented vase that is 10 inches in diameter and about 25 inches long. Of course my existing steady rest will not work, nor would any that are sold commercially work because they all connect on top of the ways. Soooo, I looked it all over and suddenly it dawned on me:

Pretty simple concept, now I can turn the full diameter the lathe is capable of turning. I gave it a spin and it works just fine. It is built from SYP, I cannibalized the rollers and arms from the other steady rest I have. This one is a bit more effort to set up so I won't be using it for everything, just stuff that is bigger than 8 inches.

BTW, this vase has 34 rings with 16 segments each for a total of 544 pieces. I use Jerry Bennet's most excellent sled for doing the cutting of segments.

Tom Giacomo
03-10-2018, 11:14 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention, nice work.

Brice Rogers
03-11-2018, 12:00 AM
Good idea !!

On my first one, I attached the steady parts to a 5/16" steel plate that was bolted to the lathe ways. One arm was an inverted L with two wheels and the third wheel was attached to a bracket on the plate. It could take a decent sized turning, but the attaching bolt and plate subtracts about 1/2" from the capacity.

I like your steady design.