PDA

View Full Version : Need help looking for French Doors

Terry Starch
03-10-2018, 11:59 AM
I had Anderson make a double French door for me. It leaks quite a bit. They have done many things to it to "fix" it but it still leaks. What other brands do you recommend? I'm thinking of just replacing it. Thanks, Terry

Jason Lester
03-10-2018, 2:03 PM
Look for a custom door shop nearby. I had one build mine and it turned out great. It was a little more than the premade ones, but worth it I think.

mreza Salav
03-10-2018, 2:07 PM
If you provide a little more info that would help give more informative answer. I suppose these are exterior wooden doors. By leak do you mean water or air? from where the leak happens? Maybe a photo.

Neil Gaskin
03-10-2018, 6:55 PM
In my opinion Marvin if you have to use french doors.

All french doors leak at least a little. Houses move even if minor btw seasons. French doors leak a bit even if set perfect. There will at least be two pin holes of gap at the top and bottom where the doors meet. add in a little framing movement and you magnify that hole.

swap the French doors for s sliding door. Marvin jeldwen Pella all make good sliding doors.

John TenEyck
03-10-2018, 6:59 PM
Pella's no better. My friend had a set installed and replaced three times, and they still aren't right. Inconsistent reveals, side lights that aren't square, hard to close. The seller finally offered him $700 to go away.

I think the advise above to go with a local custom door shop is your best bet.

John

Wayne Lomman
03-10-2018, 7:12 PM
All French doors leak? Rubbish. I built 7 sets of French doors and 23 sets French windows out of WRC for the house I did in Adelaide. Full exposure to weather ie no eaves at all. None leak and I built them in about 2009 at the early stage of construction so I had plenty of time to observe what happened. Get them custom made by someone who knows what works and you will be OK. Cheers

Jerome Stanek
03-11-2018, 8:09 AM
All French doors leak? Rubbish. I built 7 sets of French doors and 23 sets French windows out of WRC for the house I did in Adelaide. Full exposure to weather ie no eaves at all. None leak and I built them in about 2009 at the early stage of construction so I had plenty of time to observe what happened. Get them custom made by someone who knows what works and you will be OK. Cheers

Do you get the extremes of weather there. Hot in summer and freezing in winter and days that the temp can change 50% F. That kind of weather has affects on the doors and house.