PDA

View Full Version : How to set saw teeth

lowell holmes
03-10-2018, 10:14 AM
In another string we are talking about panel saws. I'm curious how you set the teeth on your saws.
I have about seven saw sets. My favorite is an old Taintor that I have.
You can hammer set teeth, set with a saw set, and also set with screwdriver.
I will set fine teeth with a small screwdriver.

Jim Koepke
03-10-2018, 10:42 AM
My saw sets are Stanley #42Xs. One of them has the plunger filed for small teeth.

jtk

lowell holmes
03-10-2018, 1:37 PM
Well, that makes sense. :)

Ron Bontz
03-10-2018, 2:58 PM
Well, I have three 42x sets with different size hammers. Small, down to 21ppi, medium, about 12 to 16 ppi, and the regular size. Then I have a couple of old Eclispe for larger saws and one for smaller saws. The Somax sets have too soft of an anvil and have to be replaced by harder steel such as A2.
I do not prefer hammer sets. Even though they are faster and easier on the hands, they bend quickly and sharply which makes the teeth easier to break off if some one accidentally tries to bend them back the other way. I did not find the ones I tried to be more consistent either with exception to the Foley. ( Still have a couple to try. ) Consistent but not really meant for the small 16 to 21 ppi. Would love to know the method Rob Lee uses on his saws. Automated, no doubt, so I'll have to settle on being jealous.:( At least it is good grip strength exercises. :)

Tom M King
03-10-2018, 3:18 PM
I used a 42W (I think) for years, before I knew that the 42X existed, and now have a couple of 42X's, one with a modified hammer. I think it was a 42W. It's burgundy, and I bought it new in the early 1970's. It works, but not having the plunger that grabs the saw, it depends more on the hand holding it for precision.

Jerry Olexa
03-10-2018, 3:32 PM
I'm told the 42X is best available

Bob Leistner
03-11-2018, 12:02 AM
I have a Diston & Sons set that I am fond of. I also have a 42X, but I think the Diston is a bit quicker.

Derek Cohen
03-11-2018, 12:59 AM
I use an Eclipse #77 or a Disston #42X. I have several of each with modified hammers to suit different size teeth.

I simply cannot imagine using a screwdriver as the results are not predictable. Similarly, I lack the skill to use a hammer, which I am sure is excellent in experienced hands. If I was sharpening and setting teeth every day, I might go down those routes. Sharpening is the easier of the two tasks. Pistol sets take the guess work out of the equation.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Patrick Chase
03-11-2018, 1:08 AM
42X and Somax sets here. The 42X is much better.

Jim Huelskoetter
03-11-2018, 12:04 PM
A slight twist of topic if thats ok. I have a Somex and a 42x. Nether give quantified settings for set depth and only a small potion of the anvil is usable for higher tooth counts. I have restored a few saws and looking for a predictable setting method. I took off the Somax anvil and reversed it so the flat back was facing the hammer. I taped brass shims to the anvil, with the shim not extending into hammer area. So, the tooth set depth is determined by the shim thickness minus springback. In my one attempt at that I found that i needed a better variety of shim stock. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how to get a target set depth without a lot of trial and error? The springback variation complicates that, but any suggestion would be welcome.

Patrick Chase
03-11-2018, 1:34 PM
A slight twist of topic if thats ok. I have a Somex and a 42x. Nether give quantified settings for set depth and only a small potion of the anvil is usable for higher tooth counts. I have restored a few saws and looking for a predictable setting method. I took off the Somax anvil and reversed it so the flat back was facing the hammer. I taped brass shims to the anvil, with the shim not extending into hammer area. So, the tooth set depth is determined by the shim thickness minus springback. In my one attempt at that I found that i needed a better variety of shim stock. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how to get a target set depth without a lot of trial and error? The springback variation complicates that, but any suggestion would be welcome.

A while ago somebody (can't remember who) posted about modifying a Somax with hardened steel anvils with "flat" bevels, that provide very tight control of set depth. IIRC they also made the angle more shallow. The catch is that you only get ~4 depth settings that way, one for every 90 deg of anvil rotation.