PDA

View Full Version : Clothes dryer power cord touching vent hose

Stephen Tashiro
03-09-2018, 7:36 PM
Is there a standard way to deal with the situation where the power cord of a clothes dryer and the dryer vent hose would be touching? - some sort of insulation to put between them?

( In a house I'm dealing with, there is no way to route the power cord and the vent hose to be clear of each other. )

Dan Friedrichs
03-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Ok, I'll bite: whatcha talkin' about? Why would the cord touching the vent be a problem?

Bill Dufour
03-10-2018, 12:12 AM
Ok, I'll bite: whatcha talkin' about? Why would the cord touching the vent be a problem?

They will rub together as the machine runs, eventually they will rub through and if it is a metal vent, or metal spiral wire, it may arc and burn or at least require replacing the vent hose or cord or likely both in a few years.
Bill D

Bill George
03-10-2018, 7:24 AM
Something non conductive and heat proof, like a bit of fiberglass insulation, maybe even the aluminum foil covered stuff for insulating vent pipes.

Mike Cutler
03-10-2018, 7:40 AM
Stephen

Do you have a picture? I can only see this happening if there is a vertical rise to the dryer vent.
Possibly an actual appliance store, and not a big box store, may have some of type of restraint clip for the installation.If not pit some foam pipe insulation around the dryer cord. It would be easier than the vent.

Dan Friedrichs
03-10-2018, 9:12 AM
They will rub together as the machine runs, eventually they will rub through and if it is a metal vent, or metal spiral wire, it may arc and burn or at least require replacing the vent hose or cord or likely both in a few years.
Bill D

Really? I've never heard of such a thing.

Does this only happen to people whose PVC dust collection starts fires, too? :)

Mike Henderson
03-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Bill D

Assuming that the cord is just hanging next to the vent, or laying on it, it's extremely unlikely that the vibration would wear through the cord in our lifetime. I have seen a situation - with a LOT more vibration - and the cord zip tied to the vibrating member, where it wore through, and that took years.

Mike

Bill Dufour
03-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Probably only a problem here in California. I have seen this stuff on cars so theoretically it could happen with dryer motions.
Bill D

Charlie Velasquez
03-11-2018, 8:48 PM
https://www.altex.com/Assets/ProductImages/blackspiralwrap.jpg

Bill Orbine
03-11-2018, 9:36 PM
One possiblity is you could use zip ties and mounts to keep the cord away from vent hose.

Carlos Alvarez
03-12-2018, 2:04 PM
I just went and looked. Our cord is laying over the vent tube. Has been for six years. No wear.