PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the 50” extension for the 3520b

Sam Beagle
03-09-2018, 3:57 PM
I plan on turning some columns for my home this spring and I’m buying the extension I spoke about. It’s 50”. But I need 65” of extension..
My question is.
1 Does anyone have the extension, do you like it.

2. Can you put the 18” extension on after the 50”

Sam Beagle
03-09-2018, 8:26 PM
Whooooaaaaaa. Are you guys saying that no one has the bed extension

Don Bunce
03-09-2018, 9:50 PM
I don't have the 50" extension, but the pictures of it show the same mounting holes on the end, so there should be no problem mounting the 18" on the end of the 50".
The 50" extension is the same as original bed,so I can't imagine any reason not to like it.

John K Jordan
03-10-2018, 8:10 AM
I don't have the 50" extension, but the pictures of it show the same mounting holes on the end, so there should be no problem mounting the 18" on the end of the 50". The 50" extension is the same as original bed,so I can't imagine any reason not to like it.

I'd have to double check when I get to the shop but I think the 3520b bed has mounting holes on both ends, in which case you could mount the 50" on one end and the 18" on the other end. I have the 18" extension mounted on the tailstock end and I'd hate to be without it. I don't have room for the longer one in my turning alcove but I'd sure hate to be without the 18" extension - I thought about getting a second 18"er for the other end but the price of a new one is too high.

It was "fun" mounting and aligning it by myself but there are some tricks.

Note that you can squeeze a few extra spindle inches out of the lathe when needed. Park the both the headstock and tailstock hanging a little off the ends but so the clamps underneath still grip well. And use the short centers - I have one live center that is 1/2 the length of some of my others.

Also, Doc Green shows how to make a bed extension from wood. I've considered making one from steel for the other end of my lathe, should be easy to do if you have the stuff.
http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/latheext.html

JKJ

Bob Bergstrom
03-10-2018, 8:40 AM
Mustard Monster site has help. Try here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1teu2s3khc52nSwKH2ojQklh-JA_uvBU4JND2F7MQM20/mobilebasic

Sam Beagle
03-11-2018, 6:32 PM
Great help here. Thanks. The mustard monster site is full of knowledge. Also John. Thank you as well.