PDA

View Full Version : Miter gauge for MM16

mark mcfarlane
03-09-2018, 12:45 PM
What are you all using for a Miter gauge on your Minimax MM16 bandsaw?

I bought an Incra V120 but the miter bar is too 'deep', i.e. the width is perfect for the miter channel, but the thickness of the bar makes it protrude above the table.

Jim Becker
03-09-2018, 1:16 PM
I use the one that came with mine in the rare case that I need to use a miter gauge and have milled up some scrap oak to fit exactly in the slot for jigs. For your Incra, just replace the bar with a shop-made one that is the correct thickness.

Dave Cav
03-09-2018, 1:41 PM
I have a MM20; I made a miter gauge using a piece of T track and an extra miter gauge head I had laying around. For my 14" saw I used a piece of T track with an MDF T head screwed onto it permanently set for 90*.

mark mcfarlane
03-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Thanks Jim and Dave. I forgot about the one that came with the saw. I temporarily misplaced it, then found it today :). I'll just add a maple fence to the factory gauge and it will likely serve my needs.

Edwin Santos
03-10-2018, 2:52 PM
Hi Mark,
Are you confident your saw is tuned such that the blade is cutting parallel to the miter slot? If so, making a miter gauge or mini sled is something you can do pretty quickly with scrap wood.
I made one just the other day and can post a photo if you like.
Edwin

Edwin Santos
03-10-2018, 3:37 PM
Here's what I was referencing. Hope this helps. I reach for it all the time for cutting small parts.

I made something similar for recently for a specific project where I needed a bunch of identical hexagons, so the fence was at 30 degrees and it was a very safe and pleasant way to cut them.
Edwin

Bruce Page
03-10-2018, 10:59 PM
I use a generic Delta gage on my MM16. One of the nice things about having a milling machine is the ability to make things fit. ;):)
I relegated the MM OEM miter gage to my belt/disk sander.

mark mcfarlane
03-11-2018, 9:43 AM
Thank you Bruce and Edwin.

The saw is fairly new and I haven't explicitly tested slot-blade parallelness. I've only used the MM16 for a few resaws, and was amazed that, even if with no previous experience on a bandsaw, how easy it was to make very thin cuts on 4" oak.

I can make my own.

I initially justified the purchase of the Incra V120 miter gauge with 'I can use it on the router table and MM16'. Now that it is here, I think I'll keep it even though it doesn't fit the MM16. :)