PDA

View Full Version : Tool handle finish question

Jason Edwards
03-08-2018, 2:07 PM
What do you folks who make your own tool handles prefer for finish?

Joe Bradshaw
03-08-2018, 2:20 PM
I leave my handle unfinished. I prefer the feel of the wood when I am using them.
Joe

John Keeton
03-08-2018, 2:34 PM
I made several handles early on and I sanded to 220, laid on a couple coats of dewaxed shellac (Seal Coat) on the lathe, buffed most of that off with 0000, and ended up with a nice, smooth handle that still had a very grippable surface. The shellac soaked into the wood and seemed to keep the handles cleaner in appearance than they would have been left unfinished.

Jim Silva
03-08-2018, 3:27 PM
I prefer unfinished. Over time it'll become polished and worn in by my hands and the patina-ed look of well used tools just appeals to me for whatever reason.

Marvin Hasenak
03-08-2018, 3:53 PM
I use either BLO or Teak oil. For the teak oil I start with a 50/50 mix with mineral spirits so I get a good penetration, allow it to dry overnight and the next day apply one more coat. If I decide I want a shiny finish I apply more coats over the next few days. The teak oil has some varnish in it, so several coats will build up to a shiny finish. On the BLO I again mix 50/50 for the first coat, apply a second coat a couple of days later, allow to dry then a little beeswax is applied.

Reed Gray
03-08-2018, 5:17 PM
I have some that are unfinished, but if I do finish, I will put on some walnut oil... I do have a couple of figured maple handles on my Big Ugly tools, and I think I put some wipe on poly on them, but most of the time I just grab what ever is handy for handles.

robo hippy

Sid Matheny
03-08-2018, 6:22 PM
What ever I have handy. I have used poly, sanding sealer, CA/BLO & some that are unfinished. I wouldn't be able to pick the one I like best.

Olaf Vogel
03-08-2018, 8:15 PM
What ever I have handy. I have used poly, sanding sealer, CA/BLO & some that are unfinished. I wouldn't be able to pick the one I like best.

I wind rope around the handle for texture and to get the diameter I want
Covered by hockey tape for grip.

seriously!

Oh!
if you want it to look pretty, maybe don’t follow my lead.....

John K Jordan
03-08-2018, 9:35 PM
What do you folks who make your own tool handles prefer for finish?

I don't like a film finish. I soak some Watco "danish" oil into the wood, just because. But more important to me than the finish is texturing for a better grip. I use whatever I feel like at the moment, texturing tools, turned textures, carved textures.

380851 380849 380850

John C Cox
03-08-2018, 10:55 PM
I was taught to leave them unfinished.. Fewer blisters and tools sliding around in your hands...

The honest truth is that I don't really use my chisels this hard... I haven't got blisters from using any of my chisels... Not even my Rasps - I have not had a problem with my Auriou rasps which ship with finished handles...

but I don't finish my tool handles in homage to a retired, crotchety old British pattern maker who told me not to..

William C Rogers
03-09-2018, 3:50 AM
Unfinished, sanded to 180. like the feel.

Jason Edwards
03-09-2018, 7:14 AM
This is good info, hadn't thought about not finishing. Seems to be a preference for either unfinished or something that's not glossy. I appreciate any extra comments.

Fred Belknap
03-09-2018, 8:21 AM
A finished handle is easier to get blood off . DAMHIKT

Prashun Patel
03-09-2018, 8:39 AM
I'm with Sid. I use whatever is handy. I am partial to oil-varnish because it's so easy to apply and feels great, but I probably do most with a coat or two of Zinsser Seal coat, and then buff.

Michael Mills
03-09-2018, 8:59 AM
I do similar to John but instead of straight shellac I use 2 pats dna to one part. More like a sealer. I typically sand to 320 then burnish with 0000 for a harder but smooth surface.