PDA

View Full Version : Glue and temperature

Mike Baker 2
03-08-2018, 1:27 PM
Hi, guys!
I have a project I would love to glue up today. Just a dovetailed rectangular frame that will eventually be a large chisel/tool rack.
I work outside; no choice. It is 41* at the moment, and likely not to get much higher.
Can I glue this up? What can I expect?
Thanks.

Jim Koepke
03-08-2018, 1:32 PM
Some glues are not as affected by low temperature as some others.

For something like TitebondŽ that is right on the edge of the low temperature limit. For many epoxies it is not a problem.

Can you bring it inside for gluing?

Can it wait for a warmer day?

One of my projects has been in use for a few years and is still waiting to be glued.

A few of my bookmarks are for weather reports from different sources. This gives me a heads up of what to expect.

jtk

Philipp Jaindl
03-08-2018, 1:34 PM
Personally id wait untill it got a bit warmer, most glues I've come across require at least 5°C or 41° Fahrenheit to work somewhat well, so you're right on the edge of it. Though it can happen that the glue just doesnt bond well or opens back up at a later date. So id either wait or glue it up inside anyways and just use some old newspapers to stop any spilling and let it sit inside overnight.

Mike Baker 2
03-08-2018, 1:36 PM
I'm using titebond, but no, the piece is to large to bring in for glue up. The pieces are indoors, but I would have to take them outside to glue them. The wood and the glue would be at room temp to start, but would be subject to the outside temps for at least long enough for it to set to the point I could move it without it going out of square; then I'd move it inside.

Mike Baker 2
03-08-2018, 1:38 PM
OK, I'll wait; but it's likely to be a week before temps rise enough and I can find free time to work. Going stir crazy.

Mike Baker 2
03-08-2018, 1:39 PM
Thanks, Gentlemen.

Pat Barry
03-08-2018, 1:43 PM
So the parts are inside but you have to take them outside to glue them but then you can bring them inside again?? Not follwing the rationale here. Why not glue them up inside?

John C Cox
03-08-2018, 2:09 PM
I would wait till it's at least in the 50's in your work area..

Mike Baker 2
03-08-2018, 3:52 PM
So the parts are inside but you have to take them outside to glue them but then you can bring them inside again?? Not follwing the rationale here. Why not glue them up inside?
The parts are inside because they take up less room when not assembled; I can stack them against one wall.
They will require a much larger space to assemble than I have. . Indoors, I only have an 8' x 10' area, and a 2'x4' bench against a wall, and it has plenty of other things in and on it., and there is no room to assemble it indoors.
Once glued it will be 3/4" thick, 24" wide, 35" long, and 3" deep, and again, I can set that assembly against a wall. But i need to make sure that it is dry enough so that it will not move and go out of square during transport.
But, I have decided to take the aforementioned advice and wait for warmer weather.
Thanks for all of the help.
Much appreciated.