PDA

View Full Version : Stone Question

Dave Fritz
03-08-2018, 9:19 AM
380790I've had this stone on the shelf for a long time. Not sure where it came from but I suspect from my father in law. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Jim Koepke
03-08-2018, 11:26 AM
The image isn't large enough to read what is says on the label. Maybe you can include that in the text.

What are its dimensions?

jtk

John C Cox
03-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Yes - can't read the label....

Pat Barry
03-08-2018, 12:41 PM
Interesting find. Referring to a recent thread, are both sides of the stone flat? or dished out a bit?

Dave Fritz
03-08-2018, 3:53 PM
Thank you for the replies. The stone is 2 3/8 by 4 3/4 and is flat on both sides. It looks like it was used very little if at all. Here is a close up of the cover:

Mike Baker 2
03-08-2018, 3:59 PM
My bet is slate or thuringian, but that's a guess; the picture is too small and when I blow it up it is not clear enough. If it is a thuringian, it might make a nice finishing stone.
One of the brand names folk look for on thuringins is Escher. I have one I got cheap at a thrift store. Someone before me was sharpening chisels and planes on it.
It puts a fine edge on straights, and that is it's sole use now, but it was used for a long time as a finishing stone for woodworking
Take an old, haerd stone, one that has not been used with oil, or a 400 or even 1k diamond plate, wet the stone and whatever you're using to slurry with, and see if you can raise a slurry. If you fairly easily raise a greyish white slurry on the stone, my vote is Thuringian.

Philipp Jaindl
03-08-2018, 4:01 PM
Thank you for the replies. The stone is 2 3/8 by 4 3/4 and is flat on both sides. It looks like it was used very little if at all. Here is a close up of the cover:

The Lable is in German heres the Translation: "Legally Protected, Goldfisch- Scharpeningstone, outstanding for all forms of sharpening of Tools, Useable with Water or Oil"

Appears to be a Belgian Natural Stone, heres what goolge came up with https://razorlovestones.wordpress.com/2015/05/20/goldfisch_020/

Mike Baker 2
03-08-2018, 4:08 PM
The Lable is in German heres the Translation: "Legally Protected, Goldfisch- Scharpeningstone, outstanding for all forms of sharpening of Tools, Useable with Water or Oil"

Appears to be a Belgian Natural Stone, heres what goolge came up with https://razorlovestones.wordpress.com/2015/05/20/goldfisch_020/
The stone in the link you provided a Belgian Blue Whetstone, what used to come on the back of coticlues before they started using a cheap slate. It's coloration and the slurry it gives is a dead giveaway. The photo the OP posted is nowhere near the coloration or look of those, unless my monitor's color is way off.

Mike Baker 2
03-08-2018, 4:16 PM
If the OP wets the stone and it shows up purplish, or the slurry is purplish, you are correct. The labels are certainly the same, or close enough.
Compered to a coticule they are slower, but in practiced hands will provide an edge nearly indistinguisable from the coticule.

Philipp Jaindl
03-08-2018, 4:28 PM
The stone in the link you provided a Belgian Blue Whetstone, what used to come on the back of coticlues before they started using a cheap slate. It's coloration and the slurry it gives is a dead giveaway. The photo the OP posted is nowhere near the coloration or look of those, unless my monitor's color is way off.

If the OP wets the stone and it shows up purplish, or the slurry is purplish, you are correct. The labels are certainly the same, or close enough.
Compered to a coticule they are slower, but in practiced hands will provide an edge nearly indistinguisable from the coticule.

Theres even a Video of this exact stone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAF8PuugP4E and yeah does look like a BBW or close to that, i didnt call it a BBW because i wasnt certain as i've never used one in person.

However the Size and box of the Stone in the Picture are identical to whats in the video so theres that.

Edit: Forgot, that kinda stone seems to also be called Rouge Du Salm. maybe you can find more with that.

Mike Baker 2
03-08-2018, 4:33 PM
Theres even a Video of this exact stone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAF8PuugP4E and yeah does look like a BBW or close to that, i didnt call it a BBW because i wasnt certain as i've never used one in person.

However the Size and box of the Stone in the Picture are identical to whats in the video so theres that.

Edit: Forgot, that kinda stone seems to also be called Rouge Du Salm. maybe you can find more with that.

Yep, depends where it's from/who marketed it what it's called, I think.

Dave Fritz
03-09-2018, 8:52 AM
Thank you for the information. I know now more than I did before.