PDA

View Full Version : NorEaster: how’d you make out?

Prashun Patel
03-08-2018, 5:56 AM
Lots of sagging tree branches near me in Central NJ. Lost power for about half the day.

March: in like a lion!

Jebediah Eckert
03-08-2018, 7:47 AM
Forecasted 12-16” here but I’m thinking we only got 8” or so. Tough to tell with the drifts. I plowed last night around 7 pm, it was heavy stuff. I use a farm tractor without a cab, wow did that wind driven snow sting, No wind today so cleanup won’t be nearly as bad. I was worried last night 16” of heavy snow would be awfully hard to push if I didn’t hit it twice.

We had a few power flickers but that’s it for this storm.

It sure wasn’t as bad here as they said it would be. Towns only 15-20 miles away got 2 feet, ouch!

Justin Foley
03-08-2018, 8:39 AM
A lot of downed trees and power lines here in Cherry Hill. Tree feel across my driveway and used the recip saw to break it down to more manageable pieces so i could get to work.

Could be worse, right?

Rick Moyer
03-08-2018, 9:00 AM
Nothing here an hour north of Harrisburg. Some afternoon snowflakes that didn't have any impact.

Jim Becker
03-08-2018, 9:02 AM
12" of heavy wet snow yesterday and utility power was out again for about 10-12 hours after slightly more than three days out over the weekend. ("Matilda" the generator did her job nicely here) Yesterday's storm was less damaging here because there wasn't the wind, but the heavy snow clearly caused additional issues with trees which in turn caused problems with infrastructure. The wind on the weekend was the culprit and took out many trees that were already "primed" to fall due to weakness/age/disease/bugs, such as all these ash trees on my property:

The heavy snow preyed on the otherwise healthy trees with shear weight!

Of course, we run a "Mickey Mouse" snow removal outfit here, including cloning to get things done faster...(and I'm glad we really don't have a twin of this one!)

Mike Cutler
03-08-2018, 9:11 AM
Heavy wet snow. Not a lot of accumulation though. Lost a limb out of a big maple in the front yard, it looks like is may have pulled a section of gutter off the front porch.
Listened to trees creaking and snapping for most of last night, but we didn't lose power, so all is well.

I spent some big $$$$ on a new generator this past fall and if I never have to use it, I'll still have gotten my money's worth. ;)

Roy Petersen
03-08-2018, 9:24 AM
Missed us entirely in (mid) western NY. A little snow, maybe half an inch at most, so we were very lucky on this last one.

Roger Nair
03-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Eastern WVa, not much to report, some wind, some cold and light quickly passing sleet.

Peter Kelly
03-08-2018, 10:40 AM
https://i.imgur.com/XCcpmoZ.jpg

Over 3' of new snow between the two storms in the Catskills.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-08-2018, 11:17 AM
All the way down here, seas hit 18’ offshore and we had over 20’ breakers. A kayaker is missing as of yesterday. It wasn’t just the wave height- it was the 16 second intervals. It was a bit sloppy but people were surfing locations where there hasn’t been any surf in years, ie beaches that don’t normally make enough wave energy to surf.

Izzy Camire
03-08-2018, 2:37 PM
They forcast 8-14" here in NH we got 16". The stuff was on the heavy side. The real problem was that once the tires went over the snow it packed down and was very slippery. I had to be careful to not get the truck stuck. Ended up using the tractor in some places.

Dave Anderson NH
03-08-2018, 4:35 PM
18" here in Chester NH. The first 6" or so were heavy and wet, the rest was a lot drier after the temperature dropped. The roads have been clear since about noon.

Lee Schierer
03-08-2018, 5:02 PM
Up near Lake Erie we had about 12" of heavy snow yesterday and another 5-6 inches this morning. At the moment it is snowing again and we have an inch or two so far. No power problems here. We have long lines of birds waiting for space at our feeders.

michael langman
03-08-2018, 5:13 PM
I just came in from clearing the yard and driveway.12" or so, and one of the worst snows to do with my single stage snowthrower, on the garden tractor.
Was gonna use the simplicity walk behind but the mice ate thru the spark plug wire!

Rick Moyer
03-08-2018, 5:35 PM
Up near Lake Erie we had about 12" of heavy snow yesterday and another 5-6 inches this morning. At the moment it is snowing again and we have an inch or two so far. No power problems here. We have long lines of birds waiting for space at our feeders.

So just an ordinary winter day then, huh Lee?

Lee Schierer
03-08-2018, 7:05 PM
So just an ordinary winter day then, huh Lee?

We are at 171.9 inches and still going for this winter an all time record.

Bill Orbine
03-08-2018, 7:28 PM
Got 4" out of projected 8-12" in central NJ. Even 4" flatten the shrubberies and broke some tree limbs. No power loss. Got lucky, again!

roger wiegand
03-08-2018, 7:29 PM
Only about 8" here but lots of trees down with the very heavy snow. Power just came back on after a ~20 hour outage.

Bruce Page
03-08-2018, 8:58 PM
It's been a warm winter here in NM. Snowfall total is probably less than 2" at our house. (5700' elevation).
69* today. I have major sympathies for you guys.

Bruce Wrenn
03-08-2018, 9:01 PM
They forcast 8-14" here in NH we got 16". The stuff was on the heavy side. The real problem was that once the tires went over the snow it packed down and was very slippery. I had to be careful to not get the truck stuck. Ended up using the tractor in some places.For my northern friends, this is the type snow we get here, and do you understand why we stay home?

Bert Kemp
03-08-2018, 9:13 PM
hmm lets see it was about 78 here and sunny today:)My daughter hates me when I tell her that , shes in NH and got about 12'' of heavy wet snow :p

Perry Hilbert Jr
03-09-2018, 11:17 AM
I am 50 miles north of Baltimore MD in PA. We were supposed to have 5 to 9 inches. Got a half inch on the grass and it melted before evening. The storm before, gave us a little coating of snow also. Power went out because stooges are still permitted to plant trees under and near power lines. I think it your tree goes down and causes an outage, you should be billed for the clean up and repair. There would be far fewer outages. I went to a lot of expense to bury my power line, phone line and cable. If my power goes out, it will not be because of anything on my property. I cut my trees away from the lines 20 years ago and will not let them grow any closer than 30 feet. I saw where a large number of poles went down. That is the power companies fault for poor infrastructure.

Lastly, if YOU did not prepare for the event of an outage, then shame on YOU! flashlights, batteries, lanterns, voltage inverters, etc are fairly cheap. A gallon of water, Peanut butter and a loaf of bread will get you through a couple days. You can get through it even easier with a little more planning.